PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next V2 Warlock Cantrip : Evil Eye now with Invocations!

Machiknight
2017-09-04, 01:52 PM
I am working on a new project and am looking for some feedback on this spell, please let me know what you think, I am working on a whole line of things based off of this.

Warlock Spell

Evil Eye

Necromancy cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: 60 feet

Components: S

Duration: 1 round

You channel the power of the “Weird” through you into a horrifying look. A target within line of sight must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened until the beginning of your next turn. The target must be able to see, and breaking line of sight cancels the effect.

Evil Eye Invocations

Clotho’s Eye

Prerequisite: Evil Eye Cantrip

Your evil eye no longer terrifies a target, but inflicts the Charmed status effect for it’s duration.

Lachesis Eye

Prerequisite: Evil Eye Cantrip, 5th level

The duration of your Evil Eye becomes: Concentration, up to 1 minute.

Atropos Eye

Prerequisite: Evil Eye Cantrip

Your evil eye no longer terrifies a target but inflicts painful psychic damage upon them. Your target must make a Wisdom saving throw. The target takes 1d6 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. This spell's damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

ravencroft0
2017-09-04, 03:27 PM
I'd say it's too powerful for a cantrip based on "frightened." Cantrips don't bestow conditions, and please correct me if I'm wrong. Damage, minor abilities to interact with the environment, and minor boons or banes to saves: these are okay. Something that replicates advantage or disadvantage on Intimidate checks would be more fitting for a cantrip. Is this supposed to be a toned down version of "cause fear," from the UA Starter Spells?

Machiknight
2017-09-04, 05:08 PM
Yes, a toned down version. I'm trying to come up with an eldritch blast alternative that, with invocations, can be used to make a fun crowd controller.

Machiknight
2017-09-05, 12:26 AM
Updated with invocations now!