PDA

View Full Version : NI stats 3.p

arkangel111
2017-09-04, 02:33 PM
If we had a character that could essentially gain infinite stats incrementally at what point does he become a god and near unstoppable?
For arguments sake let's say he is a commoner.
Though I reserve the right to adjust things as we go, I have a few house rules that may effect things.

Drakevarg
2017-09-04, 02:39 PM
I think even if he got his stats up to the point where his Saves = Yes, the fact that he was just a Commoner doing Commoner things but bigger would mean that any scenario in which he doesn't get a roll could still kill him (for example, opening up a portal under his feat that drops him into a plane that passively causes damage - he has no means of escaping so even if his HP is arbitrarily high he's going to run out eventually and either way he's effectively negated as a threat).

flappeercraft
2017-09-04, 02:42 PM
Never, a caster can still kill him with Save: No spells, such as Putrefaction (Drag Mag 300)

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-04, 02:43 PM
Never. NI stats are amazing but given that you still fail saves on a 1 you are still vulnerable to being defeated by a single spell. More important to god-like powers are the ability to exert your will on your surroundings as well as acquiring powerful defenses against attacks.

mattie_p
2017-09-04, 02:44 PM
Cha: Diplomance himself a free trip to the outer planes and sweet talk some Divine ranks.

Int: Knowledge planes to summon pazuzu and pun pun loops.

Vizzerdrix
2017-09-04, 02:55 PM
A high wis and enough shapesand can get you anywhere. Add in an int high enough to invent new things on the spot and your only limit is player imagination.

Zanos
2017-09-04, 02:59 PM
Never. A divine rank 6 or higher deity can have the Life and Death salient divine ability, which allows them to kill mortals with no saving throw.

flappeercraft
2017-09-04, 03:01 PM
Never. A divine rank 6 or higher deity can have the Life and Death salient divine ability, which allows them to kill mortals with no saving throw.

Make a sacrifice as per BoVD rules, get a wish, wish for a magic item that grants continuous deathward. Life and Death has no save, SR or range limit but it is still a death effect

arkangel111
2017-09-04, 03:09 PM
How would things change if he were a pow or tob class?

Zanos
2017-09-04, 03:18 PM
Make a sacrifice as per BoVD rules, get a wish, wish for a magic item that grants continuous deathward. Life and Death has no save, SR or range limit but it is still a death effect
Has nothing to do with NI stats.

Kayblis
2017-09-04, 03:19 PM
NI physical stats doesn't mean much, as those are strictly regulated on what they can and can't do. NI mental stats, on the other hand, are the land of roleplay, and they're enablers more than restrictors.

High INT: can pass any knowledge roll for which you are trained in(1 point for each knowledge, which I believe are cross-class skills to commoners), can make any item with any Craft skill you're trained in(those are always class skills; the need for materials means you're not better off if you have no money), and can falsify anything. Little here in INT is doable untrained, but NI INT means NI skillpoints on a level up.
High WIS: auto-detect anything detectable, can survive anywhere and can profit from Profession rolls(infinite money unless the DM says "this world isn't that dumb"). You're basically restricted by your senses, which, while a big step-up from a commoner, is still quite a weakness because most of the time you won't even get a roll(say, an invisible incorporeal creature - incorporeals make no noise by definition, and you can't see the invisible; even very dark places could deny you a roll if you don't have at least low-light vision).
High CHA: here's the real winner of the bunch - cheese your way into anywhere, make everyone your best friend for life, talk the king into passing you the crown and unite the whole world by the power of smooth talking. You also can use any item in existance thanks to Use Magic Device, and can easily make a nation-wide money scheme to pump out dozens of Rings of Wishes so you're covered forever. This is the relationship version of "autograpple everyone with NI STR", but actually good and getting you an army against anything you don't like(which you could probably talk into commiting suicide either way).

Kayblis
2017-09-04, 03:23 PM
How would things change if he were a pow or tob class?

Not much. ToB and PoW are made to make people better at fighting. A Warblade is basically a Fighter++, while a Crusader is a Fighter+ mixed with a spell-less Paladin. The thing is, those books don't add much non-combat versatility, and NI physical stats turns any combat a non-issue(the ones that stay an issue, say with spells, aren't less of an issue with ToB).

flappeercraft
2017-09-04, 06:51 PM
Has nothing to do with NI stats.

Well the sacrifice is based on a skill check which is based on an ability score

arkangel111
2017-09-04, 09:50 PM
How does things change if instead of standard spellcasting we are using spheres of power?

Kallimakus
2017-09-04, 11:41 PM
In my opinion, it basically means that casters are also no longer gods. There are less Save: No effects, and those are less debilitating. SoP also has rules for rituals, which means that anyone with money, time and skill may cast any spell they want. Since this is 3.pf, same should apply to core rules due to Occult rituals.

Though I propose that in a world, sufficiently high skill does permit things like planar travel through finding an existing portal (by knowing where one is), 'teleport' or 'flight' through excessively jump skill (I am not sure if sufficiently high jump skill allows one to exceed their movement rate. I assume yes.) Anything with HP you can end with one punch. Level 5 allows one to create any wondrous item through master craftsman (and thus use any spell) given The money, which, given that you can either talk or fight your way to arbitrary wealth should not be an issue.