PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5 Use any Weapon

zergling.exe
2017-09-04, 05:23 PM
Is there a class feature, racial ability, item property or other such thing to allow you to apply the same set of weapon magic properties to any weapon you wield? Sort of a better VoP, but only for weapons.

Forrestfire
2017-09-04, 05:27 PM
Combine a necklace of natural attacks from Savage Species with the graft weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm) power. Since graft weapon makes it count as a natural weapon in addition to a normal weapon, the necklace can then be used to apply its abilities to the grafted weapon.

Thurbane
2017-09-04, 05:41 PM
Not that I'm aware of - but there are some items that can apply their effects to whichever weapon you wield (Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane, Ring of Adamantine Touch, Scabbard of Keen Edges, Tooth of Savnok [Leraje] etc.).

Kayblis
2017-09-04, 05:45 PM
There should be some item that holds weapon enchants somewhere, and Weapon Crystals only take a move action to change. For the most part, unless you're turning a weapon into a natural attack and using monk gear to buff said natural attack(as suggested above) or the use of GMW, weapons in general don't like changing properties. You could have an Arming Ring though, it holds up to a full set of gear that switches place with whatever you're equipped with when activated, so you can always have a second weapon set ready.

barakaka
2017-09-04, 07:56 PM
The Dragonshard Pomel Stone in the Eberron book Forge of War lets you enchant it, and then attaching it to a weapon treats the weapon as having those same enhancements. 1 minute to attach, and 1 full-round action to remove.

EDIT: It costs 125% of the base price for the enhancement. So a little expensive if you're TWF'ing

Thurbane
2017-09-04, 09:37 PM
The Dragonshard Pomel Stone in the Eberron book Forge of War lets you enchant it, and then attaching it to a weapon treats the weapon as having those same enhancements. 1 minute to attach, and 1 full-round action to remove.

EDIT: It costs 125% of the base price for the enhancement. So a little expensive if you're TWF'ing

This is great: I must remember this one for my own game.

I'd need to re-fluff the Eberron out of it, though.

Anthrowhale
2017-09-04, 09:44 PM
If the goal is overcoming damage reduction: Sure Striking (+1) Morphing (+1) Metalline(+2) makes a weapon able to overcome just about anything.

A bow is also handy for the ability to combine multiple sources of enchantments and swap damage types for the purpose of combat.

Buufreak
2017-09-04, 10:02 PM
This is great: I must remember this one for my own game.

I'd need to re-fluff the Eberron out of it, though.

Works great in a Midgar setting, but only if you rename it materia.

Sagetim
2017-09-04, 10:08 PM
If you're dumping +4 bonus into it already, you might as well go with Shadow Striking from Tome of Magic (yes, the same book as Truenamer, Binder, and Shadowcaster). It adjusts your weapon to match Dr overcoming properties after the first hit against a target with DR that has said properties. At a +3, it's cheaper than the +4 total from the 3 different enchantments you were suggesting.

That said, there's also the Soulknife, whose mindblade can take on multiple different forms (even ranged, with the Soulbow prestige class). So if you don't mind following the shtick of that class, you can have some variety of weapons that operate with the same enchantments, forged from your mind on demand.

Technically learning various weapon buffing spells and casting them on the weapon you are holding does what you are talking about, but comes with it's own problems (not the least of which is actually hitting things with your weapon, being useful in more than one or two fights a day, timeliness of buffing, and so on). Less of a problem if you use a prestige class like Spellsword or something to bolt spellcasting onto your 'mostly a fighter' build, but the end result is that you're going to have issues in some way or other.

Dragonshard pommel stone sounds nice.

Oh, also from Ebberon is the ability of fiends to possess weapons and other items and give them effective enhancement bonuses. This uh...is probably a bad idea, but hey, if you can get a fiend cohort or something and get it to ride around possessing your weapon at hand, it could still net you some consistent weapon abilities (or variable ones, even). The hard part would definately be convincing the fiend not to betray you, use the weapon to possess you, etc, though. Then again, Red Fel could probably help you with that part.

zergling.exe
2017-09-04, 10:46 PM
Combine a necklace of natural attacks from Savage Species with the graft weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm) power. Since graft weapon makes it count as a natural weapon in addition to a normal weapon, the necklace can then be used to apply its abilities to the grafted weapon.

This is closest to what I'd want, thanks. Though having to dispel it and recast it a bunch will be a pain.

Thurbane
2017-09-04, 11:03 PM
This is closest to what I'd want, thanks. Though having to dispel it and recast it a bunch will be a pain.

Arguably, you could use a stump knife (A&EG), apply the sizing and morphing weapon properties, and then use the other methods discussed...although I don't think RAW supports a stump knife being treated as a natural weapon.

Forrestfire
2017-09-04, 11:06 PM
A morphing Illithid weapon graft (Fiend Folio p. 213) would also work for those purposes, though it then can't be taken off (much like a stump knife).

zergling.exe
2017-09-05, 12:21 AM
Arguably, you could use a stump knife (A&EG), apply the sizing and morphing weapon properties, and then use the other methods discussed...although I don't think RAW supports a stump knife being treated as a natural weapon.

More I'd want to disarm enemies and then turn around and use their weapon for a bit before discarding it and taking another. So sticking to one weapon and changing it wouldn't work.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-05, 04:03 AM
another odd option would be a Drunken Master dip for improvised weapon. Anything you hold in your hand can be a improvised weapon, even a real weapon. You may add the fix improvised weapon dmg on top of your unarmed strike dmg. Now all you need is a Necklace of Natural Attacks.
Downside is, Drunken Master doesn't give you the proficiency to use em without the -4 penalty unless you can convince your DM. But other than that, you would somehow get what you wanted I guess.

darkbuu_1
2017-09-05, 05:38 AM
I know you said 3.5 but if you can swing any Pathfinder the Magus has an ability called Arcane Pool that does something a bit close to what you want. You have to spend some pool points but it lets you enchant the weapon you're holding from a limited list that slowly get bigger. It's a bit restrictive and you really have to stay in the class to benefit properly.

Fouredged Sword
2017-09-05, 07:04 AM
Ok, so this is REALLY round about. Take the planer touchstone feat for the cold domain. Now, that sounds like a weird choice right? What are you going to do with the ability to rebuke cold creatures? Well, what you want is to reach level 11. Planer bind a Rejkars fiend of possession 6. Apply 6 negative levels and then rebuke it into your control. Heal the negative levels (it is still within your control pool so remains in your control). This creature has at will fabricate and can grant any item it possesses a total of +6 worth of enhancement. Have it fabricate a masterwork adimantium weapon of your choice and possess it. Pick the enhancements you desire. Get tired of that weapon, tell it to craft a different one. Donate your old masterwork adimantium weapon to Ye Old House of Level 1 Adventurers.

Sagetim
2017-09-05, 08:10 AM
More I'd want to disarm enemies and then turn around and use their weapon for a bit before discarding it and taking another. So sticking to one weapon and changing it wouldn't work.

Oh, with that clarification, your jam is going to be Psychic Warrior* (and maybe the Slayer prestige class, if you can swing it, because full BAB is magical for melee). It has bonus feats, it has manifesting, and it's chassis, while depressingly lacking a full bab on a martial class, is still pretty decent to good. You'll be able to pick up Graft Weapon, and you'll have enough feats also grab Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Unarmed Strike, Psionic Fist, Greater Psionic Fist, and Psychic Meditation. You can now steal someone's weapon, graft it in as a natural weapon, and expend your focus to get higher damage out of at least one attack. With the amulet of natural attacks (mighty fists?) you have some consistent bonuses you can add to weapons, and from the Psychic Warrior list you have other options for augmenting your natural attacks or wielded weapons. There's even Call Weapon and Call Armor on the Psychic Warrior list, allowing you to gear up with a few power points if you ever find yourself bereft of gear (or too cheap to invest in anything).

Another way to go with psionic focus is to get feats that give you bonuses while you maintain it, like Up The Walls, Speed of Thought, and so on. Depending on what you want to do, those minor buffs can help facilitate your ability to control the battlefield with disarming.

And, of course, when you finally fight something that doesn't have weapons (be it monster or monk), you can punch it in the face as normal, and if they are available, pick up feats from Tome of Battle like Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick, then augment your punching with Psychic Warrior powers.

*To build off Forrestfire's suggestion of Graft Weapon and amulet.