PDA

View Full Version : Hermits discovery: Animal Taming

Harrysonford
2017-09-04, 06:05 PM
So I have a dragonborn warlock hermit, how does this sound for a discovery?:
D&D griff hermit discovery draft
You can use your draconic heritage to gain the aid of certain creatures. You can tame beasts who have a CR less than or equal to half your level (rounded up). Additionally you can tame pseudo dragons and faerie dragons, and once you reach lv 11 you can tame wyverns. To tame creatures in this way, make an animal handling check or a persuasion check. The DC is 10+wis mod+int mod+ proficiency bonus of the creature. On a success the creature is friendly towards you. The check fails and the creature flees if you cause any damage to the creature. The creature won't willingly enter battle unless you succeed the check by 5 or more. You can have a number of creatures tamed by this equal to you wis mod (min 1). You can use this on other creatures that specified above if your DM deems it appropriate, but unless they specify otherwise, you make the check with disadvantage. You can use animal handling if their INT is less than yours and persuasion if it is greater than or equal to yours.

Please let me know what you think :)

Edit: what about one of these?:
1) new forms for a familiar?
2) one animal companion that does not follow you into battle?

Naanomi
2017-09-04, 06:12 PM
That is a lot of mechanics for a background trait... though I've allowed something in that same ballpark before (a halfling beastmaster who knew the secret dwelling places of dinosaurs in a campaign that didn't feature them; to justify a pteradon mount)

Harrysonford
2017-09-04, 06:44 PM
That is a lot of mechanics for a background trait... though I've allowed something in that same ballpark before (a halfling beastmaster who knew the secret dwelling places of dinosaurs in a campaign that didn't feature them; to justify a pteradon mount)

I know it's a lot, but some backgrounds give a lot more than others, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch. How would you change it?

Kane0
2017-09-04, 07:07 PM
You can tame creatures using animal handling during downtime. The creature must be a beast or dragon with an intelligence of 3 or lower. The DM determines the maximum CR of the creatures you are capable of taming, and the DC as well as cost and time involved in taming it.
A tamed creature follows your commands to its ability but otherwise acts as normal on its own initiative, and you cannot have more creatures tamed than your proficiency bonus at any one time.

Simpler?

Naanomi
2017-09-04, 07:11 PM
I know it's a lot, but some backgrounds give a lot more than others, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch. How would you change it?
The only backgrounds with firm mechanical benefits are Urchin and Outlander; both related to travel ease... I would put a vaguely defined social benefit ala Folk Hero but towards draconic creatures instead of peasant-folk

Harrysonford
2017-09-04, 09:18 PM
What does everyone think about this:
If you use one down time day, you can tame a number of creatures up to your wisdom modifier. The creature must be a beast or dragon (can't be a true dragon) that's CR is less than or equal to half your level (rounded up) the DC is 10+int mod+wis mod+ proficiency bonus+ CR. You can make a animal handling check (or persuasion if dragon) with proficiency if you don't already have proficiency. You can only have a number of creatures tamed equal to your (wis mod or proficiency bonus (lmk what you think)). The creature acts on its own initiative. It fights to defend itself unless you issue it a command, the DM decides if it follows your command or not. Harming the creature causes it to leave.

What do you think?

Kane0
2017-09-04, 09:25 PM
Alternatively just take a page out of the noble background feature and replace people retainers with tamed beasts. If you lose them you can buy or train more as the DM permits.

Can't get much simpler than that, and way easier to balance.

Harrysonford
2017-09-04, 09:59 PM
Alternatively just take a page out of the noble background feature and replace people retainers with tamed beasts. If you lose them you can buy or train more as the DM permits.

Can't get much simpler than that, and way easier to balance.

What do you think about this?:
You have 3 tamed creatures (either beasts, pseudo dragons or faerie dragons) that serve you due to your Draconic heritage. The creature can not have a CR higher than half your level (rounded up). The creatures will avoid fighting unless you fall unconscious, in which case one will try to pull you away from the battle. They act on their own initiative. If one is no longer in your service, you can spend a downtime day recruiting up to three new creatures, but only 3 can serve you at a time. If it has a CR of 3 it counts as two, and it's CR can't exceed 3.

How about that?

Finback
2017-09-04, 10:31 PM

Cryptozoologist!