PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Face char Idea

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-04, 09:18 PM
Im wanting to roll a PC that is our party's Face. Since we have been winging it on a hope and good dice roll so I'm going to retire my Sorcerer and bring in a Diplomatic/Chars based Char. I'm wanting to be a utility based char if its possible. I was thinking maybe Marshal for a few levels. but not sure where to go from there. Any suggestions or ideas? I cant use Dragon magz and no 3rd party books.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-04, 10:19 PM
Im thinking of getting bluff intimidate and diplomacy. So i can be versatile in my usage thinking Id need Sense motive so I can "sense" when im being tricked or lied to.

Inevitability
2017-09-05, 12:40 AM
Bard is an obvious class that's heavily charisma-based and gets all of the skills you want except intimidate.

Factotum can do everything, and that includes being the party face. However, it's a bit more on the intelligence side of things.

A rogue can make a very passable secondary face, though your primary activities are probably going to be stabbing, sneaking, and trap-detection.

Finally, there's the beguiler, which while not charisma-based can be a very good face due to the large amount of enchantment spells they get.

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 03:44 AM
Cleric can make for a great face with the appropriate build. Cloistered Cleric, take domains to expand your class skills with Bluff and Intimidate, add Diplomacy and Sense Motive, pick up Charm-spells from some domain taking spontaneous domain casting in it and go to town.

Darth_Versity
2017-09-05, 03:50 AM
For the best face, I'd go with a bard, though personally I prefer the Beguiler (it's my favourite class). The main benefit of both of these classes is access to Glibness, which makes it so that any lie will almost certainly succeed.

You can also use a Warlock or Dragonfire Adept, as the Beguiling Influence invocation is really handy at low levels.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 10:10 AM
There are certainly plenty of characters that can get those skills on their lists. With Karmic Twin (Oriental Adventures) or Nymph's Kiss (Book of Exalted Deeds), you can even get by without a great Charisma. So... what else are you looking to do? What do you mean be "utility character?"

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 10:23 AM
When not being a Face for the party i have some useage in battle or out trecking across the land. I.e abilitly to heal or to do some damage during fights or even cast a debuff or cc like spell to increase my sides living. It looks like a factorum is what I might be looking for due to the literal "all skills" they have.

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 10:35 AM
I'd just like to mention that spells like Divine Insight and Guidance of the Avatar are also pretty damn great at being a face. Glibness is actually in the Commerce domain so if you pick some bonus domain classes, you can get the whole deal. Though of course, as a Cleric your Wis will be higher than your Cha unless you run Dynamic Priest > Cha but that's probably okay; you have enough other things going on for you.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 10:48 AM
When not being a Face for the party i have some useage in battle or out trecking across the land. I.e abilitly to heal or to do some damage during fights or even cast a debuff or cc like spell to increase my sides living. It looks like a factorum is what I might be looking for due to the literal "all skills" they have.
Bleh. Factotums are overrated, as are skills.

I'm thinking what you want might be a bard.

Take the Bardic Knack ACF (from PHB 2) and the Jack of All Trades feat (from CAdv). Now you can use every skill, trained or not, as though you had 1/2 level ranks in it. Now learn the spell Improvisation (CAdv/Spell Compendium), which lets you add up to 1/2 CL to skill checks (also attack rolls and raw ability checks) up to 4 times/casting. Ta-da; now you effectively have not just all skills as class skills, but all skills as near-maxed-out class skills. Bards have plenty of excellent buff and debuff spells on their lists, and they can use their music pretty effective to buff their targets. Even deal damage, with the Dragonfire Inspiration feat.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 11:11 AM
Well im trying to no step on any one elses role. We have a bard,a Cleric (offense), A rouge,And a dragon Monk and a caster gnome whos a thurg. I been playing a caster also thus the reroll to a Face char. So we dont just go on a wing and a dice roll prayer.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 11:13 AM
Well im trying to no step on any one elses role. We have a bard,a Cleric (offense), A rouge,And a dragon Monk and a caster gnome whos a thurg. I been playing a caster also thus the reroll to a Face char. So we dont just go on a wing and a dice roll prayer.
Oh, gotcha. The Bard isn't already covering the face well enough?

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 11:38 AM
He works for a school and with school back in session he can come to most games but not all so i dont wanna just swip him out of the way due to being able to go all the time.

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 12:03 PM
If you make a very different (supportey, buffey, backline castey) Cleric Face you'll probably get along just fine. Cleric is just about the most customizable class in the game; you could easily run a party of 4 Clerics each of which covers an entirely different niche.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 12:20 PM
I have never really played a cleric before

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 12:34 PM
I have never really played a cleric before

Splendid! It'll be good fun for you and do exactly what you want then! Just outline what the other Cleric does (frontline fighting, I'm guessing?) and we'll build so that you don't run any risk of stepping on his toes.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 12:48 PM
Splendid! It'll be good fun for you and do exactly what you want then! Just outline what the other Cleric does (frontline fighting, I'm guessing?) and we'll build so that you don't run any risk of stepping on his toes.

He is a Orc Cleric and follows Orccus i think. the one eyed orc god. and he is pretty much frontline fighitng cleric with some reserved healing spells and etc.

I was actually thinking running a changling factorum some what. Since they pretty much follow a "beleif ina god when its needed" would be a bit ironic for a person who can be anyone. LOL

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 01:17 PM
Perfect. First, we'll take Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cloisteredCleric). This makes you squishier and worse in combat in exchange for Knowledge domain and 6+Int skill points each level. Perfect here since we need skill points first and foremost. Then we need class skills. It's good to have:
Diplomacy
Bluff
Intimidate
Sense Motive

Thus we'll take Trickery and Pact [Spell Compendium] domains - it's not hard to think up an ideal for this (or any deity of trickery works just as well). Trickery adds Bluff, Hide, Disguise and Pact adds Appraise, Intimidate, Sense Motive. Trickery is also a great domain spell-wise so I recommend taking Spontaneous Domain Casting [Player's Handbook II] in it (trades your ability to spontaneously cast Cures/Inflicts for the ability to spontaneously cast spells from your domain). This gives you spontaneous access to Invisibility, Disguise Self, Confusion, Polymorph Any Object, Mislead and some anti-scrying spell. And Time Stop if you ever hit level 17. Invisibility and Confusion in particular are both great. Sadly you can't get Diplomacy through a Domain but you can with a feat: take Apprentice (Entertainer) [Dungeon Master's Guide II] or Martial Study: any White Raven maneuver [Tome of Battle].

This covers all the skills we need. It costs us 1 feat and both our domains. Luckily the domains are quite good. Far as skills, you should max Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Concentration, and invest in the various Knowledges and perhaps Hide or Spellcraft. As you have Knowledge-domain from Cloistered Cleric, all Knowledges are class skills or you. 5 ranks in Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty gives you +2 more to Diplomacy, and Knowledge: Local is kind of natural on a face type. Even though you know Disguise, don't bother putting ranks into it: your spells can do it for you.

Human is probably the best race, since you want skill points and you want feats. There's a feat "Nymph's Kiss" in Book of Exalted Deeds which grants massive bonuses to Charisma-checks and extra skill points; if your idea works with being intimate with a fey and you don't mind being really good (given the type of character, probably Chaotic Good).

Whether you turn or rebuke undead, you can of course pick up feats to use those to other ends. Divine Metamagic [Complete Divine] allows you to use your Turn/Rebuke uses to use metamagic on your spells, or extra caster level out of Divine Spell Power [Complete Divine]. If you go with negative energy, you can always try to Command some undead and Animate Dead for minions, but that doesn't play nice with being Exalted for Nymph's Kiss so pick your poison.

In short:

Human Cloistered Cleric X
Wis > Cha > Con/Int > Dex > Str

Domains: Trickery & Pact (and Knowledge as bonus)
Alternative Class Features: Spontaneous Domain Casting for Trickery
Feats:
1. Apprentice: Entertainer
H. Nymph's Kiss

Then whatever; augment summoning is nice as you summons are pretty good if you want to fight (also crowd control like Ice Slick [Frostburn], Silence, Wall of Stone, Nauseating Breath [Spell Compendium], etc.) and you can use Divine Insight [Spell Compendium] to boost your skill checks. And pick up other domains from prestige classes to expand your skill list.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 01:29 PM
I was actually thinking running a changling factorum some what. Since they pretty much follow a "beleif ina god when its needed" would be a bit ironic for a person who can be anyone. LOL
Mkay. Well, take this with a grain of salt, because I kind of hate Factotums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514427-Seriously-****-Factotums&highlight=invisible), but...

The Factotum is not nearly as good as it gets talked up to be. Get that fixed in your head now, because you're not going to be some kind of mythical Rogue-plus-plus-plus. In fact, for a good portion of your career (especially early days), a Rogue with some solid UMD skills will beat the pants off you. They're an interesting generalist, but D&D is mean to generalists.

On the good side: skills. Factotums are pretty good at skills. An Int focus means you'll probably have 8-10 points/level off a good list, Brains Over Brawn is a neat little boost to a lot of excellent options, and Cunning Knowledge means you can cover obscure skills pretty well/blow past the occasional challenge in your specialties. You're not the best at skills-- I'd give that title to the Bardic Knack Bard + Improvisation combo I mentioned earlier, with honorable mentions to Clerics+Divine Insight and Incarnate/Umbral Disciples-- but you'll be pretty decent at them. Your top area of expertise is probably thief skills, thanks to the BoB boost.

On the down side: combat. Factotums get, functionally, nada in terms of combat boosts. A Warrior (the NPC class) will quite possibly be more useful in a scrum. Cunning Insight is a minor boost that'll run down quick; Cunning Strike is terribly written and unclear, but is either uselessly tiny or gets you Rogue damage for one... (Round? Attack? Who knows?)... at the cost of all your IP. Cunning Surge is a nice trick, but will eat your IP, and an extra standard action doesn't help much if your standard actions are terrible. And the spellcasting? It's weird, and it's wonky, and you won't have enough of it to be useful until high levels anyway.

And sure, people will tell you lots of things-- Poison! Iajutsu focus! Knowledge Devotion! Manyshot! Tripping! Font of Inspiration! Buuuut... here's the thing: all of those take feats. Like, lots of feats. And the benefits tend to be small.

Lots of things are immune to poison, and it's expensive to produce.
IF is a pain in an entire crowd's worth of butts to trigger reliably, and probably does less than Sneak Attack even if it works.
Knowledge Devotion is a nice small boost, but it's only +1-2 unless you invest hard in it, at which point it's still not that great and you've given up on being a skillmonkey in favor of just having high Knowledge skills.
Manyshot is utter garbage, and just means that you miss many times in a single action instead of once.
Tripping takes a bunch of feats, and you're no better at it than anyone else unless you invest in Str, making you painfully MAD.
Font of Inspiration will devour all your feats and leave you with probably less effectiveness, overall, than if you'd spent the feats on something else.

Factotum makes a great three-level dip, especially combined with Able Learner to essentially keep those class skills. But otherwise, you're probably looking at a significant investment in another class to net some actual offense. Otherwise, I guess, your options are probably:

Tripping: You'll need good enough stats to afford to invest in Str, Dex, and Int; dipping for heavy armor helps a bit. You get Str+Int to the checks, and at high levels you can use spells to Enlarge Person/Alter Self/Polymorph into something bigger. You'll want Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Combat Reflexes at a minimum; maybe Knock-Down, Standstill, stuff like that if you can afford it. Dipping to pick up heavy armor isn't a bad plan.
Charging: You have an accuracy booster; you can't Power Attack as hard as a full BAB class, but Leap Attack and a two-handed weapon lets you turn that +Int to attack into +3*Int to damage. Which is still kind of bad, but... you'll probably want Weapon Finesse and EWP for a two-handed finessable weapon. Maybe a Barbarian dip for Pounce. I kind of like throwing in Swashbuckler 3, for free Wep Finesse and Int-to-damage. The usual sorts of things; you just won't hit as hard without a full BAB.
Iajutsu Focus: Make a skill check for extra damage! Great! Only you have to draw a weapon first, and the target has to be specifically flat-footed, which is hard to do reliably. Marbles+monsters without 5 ranks of balance works, though it probably takes an action to scatter them. There are a bunch of skill tricks and a couple feats, many of which require small size and/or Quick Draw to qualify for. And you'll probably want EWP (Gnomish Quickrazor) to have a weapon you can draw and sheathe between each attack. If you have the Rules Compendium around, it gets a little easier, as that says that you're flat-footed verses an invisible attacker.
Dipping: Barbarian, for pounce+Rage. Tome of Battle classes, for some maneuvers. There are a few decent options for getting offense in a hurry. My favorite is probably Totemist 2; that gets you a lot of natural weapon in a hurry, and meld progression can continue somewhat through feats. (Manticore Belt is a good one; with two levels and two feats, Expanded Capacity and Bonus Essentia, you can be shooting four spikes at d6+1/2 Str as a standard action, all day every day. As an advantage compared to other options, this one actually sort of combos with Factotum, since you can nab extra actions to shoot twice in a round if you need to)

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 01:30 PM
Dang. I know most of that information but together is something more. This PC is supposed to be a friend/ally of my retiring one. I have been sending letters/messeges to give myself a resonable out if I ever had to switch chars or if it should die then the random "poof" new PC from somewhere.

So A cleric is going to be interesting and that is for damn sure. Would you suggest any Perstige class to go into at any point. My Dm i beleive is going to get us to 20 and possibile further. (were doing this as a get togethere reason)

@Grod
I have decked out a factorum before https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192024 which at level 10 I have perm Itasju strike and etc etc. Hes cheesy with a side of cheese with a extra wedge of cheese on top.
I understand the hate for the class as I can see how easily broken you can make it or how mechnically broken it is to be used.

So its more of the All Skill effect enabling the knowledge check. but As Eldariel has pointed/shown. theres a way to get em all another way.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-05, 01:44 PM
Here are the face character feats
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472308-Optimize-This-Feat-1-Wanderer-s-Diplomacy. Combat bluff as diplomacy check

Free feat I'd you're fey: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?492298-Optimize-this-Feat-8-Seelie-Court-Noble-Kelir-(web) make opponent's hate someone else check

Combat diplomacy checks to make opponents focus on playing you in cards:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501738-Optimize-this-Feat-13-Cards-over-Swords-from-Three-Dragon-Ante-web-supplement&p=21301495#post21301495

Undead empathy feat

Swashbuckler 4 gets seduce to learn secret as a dead level ability

Bluff guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504559-Stop-Flubbing-Your-Bluffs-The-reference-guide-to-successful-truthtelling&p=21372480#post21372480

Always impersonate a famous general to get +5 to diplomacy/intimidate checks.

Nifft
2017-09-05, 02:02 PM
Sadly you can't get Diplomacy through a Domain but you can The reason you can't get Diplomacy from a Domain is that all Clerics already have Diplomacy.

Apprentice feat is less than worthless here.

Mkay. Well, take this with a grain of salt, because I kind of hate Factotums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514427-Seriously-****-Factotums&highlight=invisible), but...

The Factotum is not nearly as good as it gets talked up to be. Get that fixed in your head now, because you're not going to be some kind of mythical Rogue-plus-plus-plus. In fact, for a good portion of your career (especially early days), a Rogue with some solid UMD skills will beat the pants off you. They're an interesting generalist, but D&D is mean to generalists.

My opinion concurs with Grod.

However, there is a good generalist in D&D, which works with Changelings: the Chameleon PrC.

The neat thing with Chameleon is that you can take up to 5 different classes before entering, and still be pretty great at mid-to-high levels. Or just pick up 5 level of Rogue with the appropriate Changeling racial sub levels, for very high social proficiency indeed.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 02:13 PM
Slightly Off the subject of Face Char. Would a changling be viable of Human Paragon as they are considered a Half human/Half doppleganger?

Nifft
2017-09-05, 02:25 PM
Slightly Off the subject of Face Char. Would a changling be viable of Human Paragon as they are considered a Half human/Half doppleganger?

Nope.

Half-elf and half-orc characters get special dispensation by taking their paragon classes.

You'd need a Changeling racial paragon class with a similar feature to get into Human paragon -- and even then, it's probably not worth it. Cloistered Cleric gets more skills with full casting; Changeling Rogue gets you more & better face skills.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 02:27 PM
You might need Racial Emulation.

Cloistered Cleric makes a pretty decent skill-user. You get all Knowledge skills right off the bat; Clerics have Diplomacy as a base skill, and with the right domains...

Dragon gives Bluff+Intimidate
Trickery gives Bluff, Disguise, and Hide
Pact gives Appraise, Intimidate, and Sense Motive
City gives Gather Information and Knowledge (Local)

Trickery + Pact would give you a list containing Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. It's even an interesting fluff combo, very Lawful Evil-y, perhaps.

You also have Initiate feats-- Initiate of Lendys (Dragon Magic) gets you Sense Motive and Gather Info (and goes well with Dragon's Bluff+Intimidate), for instance. The resource here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?491181-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills)has a lot of info.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-05, 02:27 PM

If they have the racial emulation feat maybe. If they have the human heritage feat, maybe.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 02:34 PM
I was planning on running Racial Emulation so i can more easily "blend" into other humionoid races when the need is there. but if I have to snag human herititage i can do that as well. Dm is allowing flaws so I could swing both of em to human paragon to get 2+ Ability boost and then I can snag any Skill the cleric may not have and have it a perm lock for cleric levels.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 02:43 PM
I was planning on running Racial Emulation so i can more easily "blend" into other humionoid races when the need is there. but if I have to snag human herititage i can do that as well. Dm is allowing flaws so I could swing both of em to human paragon to get 2+ Ability boost and then I can snag any Skill the cleric may not have and have it a perm lock for cleric levels.
Eh. Not worth the lost casting level. (Nor is Racial Emulation generally worth taking, methinks; it eliminates a -2 penalty, but Changelings get a +10, and race-gated items and the like are pretty rare). If you want just one skill, Cosmopolitan will get it for you, even if there's not a domain or Initiate feat that offers it. Which were you thinking you'd need?

DEMON
2017-09-05, 02:57 PM
I'm apparently late to the party, but let me cast another vote for a Changeling Rogue and a (Half-Elf) Bard.

And let's not forget Marshal dip. Never hurts when building a Face.

Eldariel
2017-09-05, 03:07 PM
Dang. I know most of that information but together is something more. This PC is supposed to be a friend/ally of my retiring one. I have been sending letters/messeges to give myself a resonable out if I ever had to switch chars or if it should die then the random "poof" new PC from somewhere.

So A cleric is going to be interesting and that is for damn sure. Would you suggest any Perstige class to go into at any point. My Dm i beleive is going to get us to 20 and possibile further. (were doing this as a get togethere reason)

Domains granting key spells are nice (for your concept, Spell domain is quite interesting as Anyspell enables preparing Charm Person and Greater Anyspell enables preparing Glibness, Dominate Person and Charm Monster among other things). Spontaneous access to Spell domain could actually even trump Trickery-domain in utility. If you're starting on a slightly higher level, you could take Trickery and Spell Domains with Spontaneous Casting in Spell-domain and then spend your level 6 feat on Planar Touchstone [Planar Handbook] feat applied to Catalogues of Enlightenment in Mechanus. This allows you to pick one Domain Granted Power, where you pick Pact domain granted power giving you all the class skills - the Pact-spells aren't anything to write home about. PHBII has retraining rules to allow you to shuffle your skills so that you are capped out on all the relevant skills after the fact, but if you have surplus, you could also just use your base points to buy the ranks. This is the strongest option, probably, since Spell domain is so versatile. It can access all the great arcane spells a skill monkey might want.

PRCs that grant Domains should definitely be considered. Mind, those PRCs tend to only give 2+Int skill points per level so you don't want to take too many levels - prioritise Contemplative. But like, the first level of Contemplative [Complete Divine] grants a Domain so you definitely want that. Whether you want to sacrifice more skill points to take 6 levels for a second one is up to you but I'd caution against it as you need skill points to max out all your skills. Sovereign Speaker gives you a lot of domains but loses casting and has low skill points so I'd ultimately recommend against it. Church Inquisitor [Complete Divine] grants a specific domain but it's not that much in your interest (Dispel bonus) and it's not the kind of character this would probably turn out to be anyways.

Oh, and don't forget Cleric buff spells. Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Recitation [Spell Compendium], Righteous Wrath of the Faithful [Spell Compendium], Tyche's Touch [Lost Empires of Faerun], Resist Energy (Mass), Spell Resistance (Mass), Conviction (Mass) [Spell Compendium], Heroes' Feast, etc. are examples of good party buffs or buffs that can be cast on allies available to Clerics. Do keep those around.

Nifft
2017-09-05, 03:14 PM
Trickery + Pact would give you a list containing Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. It's even an interesting fluff combo, very Lawful Evil-y, perhaps. Heh, my thought was actually CN -- they're like Faeries, making solid promises but otherwise tricking the heck out of you. Trickery seems more Fey than Infernal, to me.

You also have Initiate feats-- Initiate of Lendys (Dragon Magic) gets you Sense Motive and Gather Info (and goes well with Dragon's Bluff+Intimidate), for instance. The resource here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?491181-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills)has a lot of info.

That's a great combo.

Dragon domain has decent spells, and Initiate of Lendys gives you some good spell choices too.

The nice thing here is that you have a free Domain choice -- Knowledge, Dragon, and Mind, for example -- since Mind gets you another +2 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive checks.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-09-05, 03:48 PM
I'm apparently late to the party, but let me cast another vote for a Changeling Rogue and a (Half-Elf) Bard.

And let's not forget Marshal dip. Never hurts when building a Face.

I was thinking 2 levels of marshal to get the minor and major arua and then leaving from there. I know minor is going to be situational but the major Resilient Troops can help even if it is 1 extra point

The level i would be getting into the game would be 11.

Eldariel
2017-09-06, 01:36 AM
The reason you can't get Diplomacy from a Domain is that all Clerics already have Diplomacy.

Apprentice feat is less than worthless here.

Oops, you're quite right.

I was thinking 2 levels of marshal to get the minor and major arua and then leaving from there. I know minor is going to be situational but the major Resilient Troops can help even if it is 1 extra point

The level i would be getting into the game would be 11.

The Minor aura is really the reason to get Marshal; Charisma to stats is huge (Motivate Dex helps Initiative, Motivate Strength helps all combat maneuvers, etc.). That said, as a Cleric you can use spells to roughly replicate all those auras so I'd go either-or. If you go Cleric you can just use your spells to buff the party and the more levels you have, the wider variety of buffs you have access to. Thus I'd just keep taking Cleric-levels. Level 11 is nice as you get to be Cloistered Cleric 10/Contemplative 1 getting you an additional Domain. As you've no doubt noticed, between Trickery, Spell, Charm, Commerce, Pact, etc. there are lots of useful options. But yes, Dragon Domain + Initiate of Lendys is also a solid option - it also covers Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive and you get Gather Information as a bonus.

I still recommend Human; you can just use spells to alter your form, while the extra skill points and extra feat are extremely useful (you'll always want more feats). Disguise Self from Trickery Domain, Polymorph from Greater Anyspell, etc. allow you to look pretty much the way you'd want. Overall, I'd just go (the bonus domain from Cloistered Cleric is up to you; lots of good options):

Human Cloistered Cleric 10/Contemplative 1

Domains: Spell [Spontaneous Domain Casting], Trickery, Knowledge [Cloistered Cleric Bonus], Destiny [Races of Destiny]/Domination [Spell Compendium]/Travel/Luck/Pride [Spell Compendium] [Contemplative] (take your pick)

Feats:
1. Nymph's Kiss
H.
6. Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment [Pact Domain Granted Power]

The empty feats should help the thing you do. If you want to use summons in combat (extra users for your buffs), you could for example take Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning and Ashbound. Or Rapid Spell + Divine Metamagic: Rapid Spell (makes you able to summon as a standard action instead of a fullround). If you wanted to buff more you could always get Extend Spell, Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell. If you'd like to spontaneously cast from other domains, Spontaneous Domain Casting exists as a divine feat [Complete Divine].

This build gets 6th level spells so you have a lot of buff and battlefield control spells available. Be a background support type; your job isn't to be in the front and fight but to talk things out and charm enemies and be in disguise and invisible and so on, and when things get rough to stand in the backline, buff your teammates and debuff the enemy. If you so choose, you can also use some Summon spells and then buff your Summons as well.