PDA

View Full Version : Adventure league what do I need to know.

Jgosse
2017-09-04, 10:31 PM
I am hoping to go to my first adventure league game Sunday. I am trying to figure out what is legal, what is not and anything else I should know?

Chugger
2017-09-05, 01:37 AM
Are you signed up on Warhorn?

It's modules. Some of them are very slow to get going, especially if the DM wants to give you all the "color" - some of which is um...yeah... not colorful.

Some modules have only one or two real fights. If you go in built purely for doing damage you may be disappointed because you may need to do social things, roll persuasion checks - you may wish you had spells to help you with all that.

Be ready to "role play". Some AL tables are heavily into that.

They generally don't allow you to meta (you can't help it) and stop you at some point.

Some of them are a lot of fun. Some are very well written and very well balanced. You should be given a healing potion when you start your first char in AL - they will probably forget - ask for it. Ask for a short rest if you need one. Even if the DM hems and haws or threatens, if the party needs a short rest really try to take one.

If a DM ruling goes against you it's okay to ask them to explain why. You might be wrong. But if they're making a mistake - and they do - ask if all the other DMs rule this way, too. That's your leverage in most cases, if you're right. It often quickly resolves things. Be polite - be diplomatic. Don't be a lawyer - just ask nicely. That is well within your rights.

Buy a _healing kit_ before you go in. Five gold. Guaranteed death stabilization. Others can use it on you, you can use it on others.

Jgosse
2017-09-05, 08:16 AM
All good info and good to know . I was looking for more basic stuff, is there a list of what is legal or not legal. Tieflig variant, VOLO'S, feats? I find the info online is not super clear?

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-05, 08:23 AM
All good info and good to know . I was looking for more basic stuff, is there a list of what is legal or not legal. Tieflig variant, VOLO'S, feats? I find the info online is not super clear?

For character creation, use the player's handbook, with only one other source(Volo's, SCAG, EE). Absolutely no flying at level 1. Any race that offers flying at level 1 can't fly, it's just fluff that you have wings. The tiefling/half-elf variants in SCAG are all legal. No feats are banned.

Edit: No homebrew or Unearthed Arcana material. I would recommend reading through the AL FAQ. It should answer most of the questions you have.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-05, 09:08 AM
I'd go to dmsguild.com and download the players guide myself. It's free and best if you see the source material first hand. It's a quick read that'll give you all the details you need.

Jgosse
2017-09-05, 09:12 AM
For character creation, use the player's handbook, with only one other source(Volo's, SCAG, EE). Absolutely no flying at level 1. Any race that offers flying at level 1 can't fly, it's just fluff that you have wings. The tiefling/half-elf variants in SCAG are all legal. No feats are banned.

Edit: No homebrew or Unearthed Arcana material. I would recommend reading through the AL FAQ. It should answer most of the questions you have.

That's great. Thank you. So by Goliath can't have green flame blade?

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-05, 09:14 AM
That's great. Thank you. So by Goliath can't have green flame blade?

Unfortunately no. But, if you pick goliath, go with EE. The goliath never got changed between EE and Volo's, and you get access to all the spell if you want to play a caster goliath.