PDA

View Full Version : How will this break things?

Dimers
2017-09-05, 04:27 AM
I want my players to be able to mix-and-match different deities' special stuff (because ... reasons). Like, you can use a paragon path of Bane, a holy symbol of Moradin and a feat for Sehanine worshippers, all in the same character. What abuses could that lead to? What's likely?

Kurald Galain
2017-09-05, 05:34 AM
I want my players to be able to mix-and-match different deities' special stuff (because ... reasons). Like, you can use a paragon path of Bane, a holy symbol of Moradin and a feat for Sehanine worshippers, all in the same character. What abuses could that lead to? What's likely?

Off the top of my head the deity restrictions (on feats, items, etc) are based on fluff, not on balance concerns. However, given that they are slotless, stacking multiple divine boons on the same character may cause issues.

The one thing in deity-specific options that stands out as overpowered is Corellon's Boon of Using The Wizard Spell List At Will; you should probably ban that one in this mix-and-match system.

ThePurple
2017-09-05, 12:08 PM
However, given that they are slotless, stacking multiple divine boons on the same character may cause issues.

You don't actually have to be a follower of a given deity to receive a boon from them, however. Your problem with boon is a more of an issue with the general "slotless magic items" (and Corellon's specifically) than it is with deity selection in general.

In my own game, because I run Eberron, I don't pay attention to any of the deity restrictions anyways (since Eberron gets so little love from most of the books). Power of Skill is so insanely useful for Avengers that I'll let any Avenger take it. I've always been a huge fan of Champion of Corellon (you can make a nigh-unhittable Paladin pretty easily by stacking the level 11 feature with Agile Armor) as have my players so I'll allow a paladin of any deity to take it (since I just see it as more of a duelist paladin that wears their heavy armor like a second skin than I do it being about a specific religious doctrine). Part of this is because Eberron is really easy going with religion in general (the Sovereign Host basically coopts anything that might resemble their belief structure and none of the religions are "true" in a tangible sense; divine magic is about personal belief more than it is provable existence of deities) and (as said previously) part of it is because none of the deity driven specialties are particularly powerful (Power of Skill is *useful* but I wouldn't put it in the "OP" section, especially since I already give out Melee Training to every character for free). If there *were* something potentially broken with it, I'd probably just make a specific note when someone tried, but I haven't really seen anything for it.

Yakk
2017-09-05, 02:46 PM
There are no restrictions in 4e RAW I am aware of that state you can only worship one deity.

Dimers
2017-09-05, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, all.

The one thing in deity-specific options that stands out as overpowered is Corellon's Boon of Using The Wizard Spell List At Will ...

I'm surprised to hear that. I'd consider Pelor's Sun Blessing, Moradin's Blessing of Iron or (for certain builds) Sehanine's Mark of the Dark Moon to be much more potent than other abilities at their price point. I sometimes feel guilty about taking them!

Power of Skill is so insanely useful for Avengers that I'll let any Avenger take it.

I add an at-will MBA option to the avenger power list instead, one that emphasizes critfishing as their striker mechanic. I mean, an at-will tax is still a tax, but by late heroic it's better than a feat tax. In my ever-so-humble opinion.

There are no restrictions in 4e RAW I am aware of that state you can only worship one deity.

True as far as I've seen too. But I forget it, partly from Faerunian default restrictions, partly because the only character builders I've seen force a choice. Zero worshipped deities or one, not more. And partly because I'm a dipstick on occasion. :smallredface:

ThePurple
2017-09-06, 12:21 AM
I add an at-will MBA option to the avenger power list instead, one that emphasizes critfishing as their striker mechanic. I mean, an at-will tax is still a tax, but by late heroic it's better than a feat tax. In my ever-so-humble opinion.

Well, Power of Skill basically turns Overwhelming Strike into an at-will tax on top what is normally a feat tax (though I give out Melee Training or an equivalent, like Power of Skill or Intelligent Blademaster, out to all characters for free at level 1, in addition to Improved Defenses and an Expertise feat of their choice to eliminate the 3 big feat taxes completely). I'd be curious to see what your custom at-will for emphasizing their crit-fishing would be. One idea I had for a more "striker-y" Avenger was an attack that deals DEX/INT additional radiant or necrotic (based upon deity) damage if both of your attack rolls hit the target, but that's less "crit-fishing" and more "accuracy upon accuracy".

Kurald Galain
2017-09-06, 12:54 AM
I'm surprised to hear that. I'd consider Pelor's Sun Blessing, Moradin's Blessing of Iron or (for certain builds) Sehanine's Mark of the Dark Moon to be much more potent than other abilities at their price point. I sometimes feel guilty about taking them!
The key to Corellon's is that as written, you don't pick a wizard power when you gain the blessing, but each time you use the blessing. But yeah, I'd call Pelor's problematic as well; I haven't so far seen any builds that cause issues with Moradin's or Sehanine's blessing.

Dimers
2017-09-06, 01:45 AM
I'd be curious to see what your custom at-will for emphasizing their crit-fishing would be.

Just improved crit range, without requiring any particular weapon or feat. Avengers are dissuaded from crit-range feats because it's so difficult for them to get the needed stats. Don't know how to do the nice graphic formatting, but this is it --

Keen strike. At-will / Divine, Weapon.
Standard action; Melee weapon.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Wisdom vs AC. This power can score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20, or a roll of 18-20 if you are at least 21st level.
Hit: 1/1/2[W]+Wisdom modifier damage.
Special: This power is a melee basic attack.

The "1/1/2" is my shorthand for stuff that improves in higher tiers, Heroic/Paragon/Epic. It saves time because I write a lot of homebrew. E.g. special MBA powers for ardent, artificer, Ossassin, battlemind, monk, more monk, psion, shaman and swordmage.

The key to Corellon's is that as written, you don't pick a wizard power when you gain the blessing, but each time you use the blessing.

Well, sure, but how bad can that be for a low-level encounter power once a day, or an at-will once per encounter? (Naturally I'm opening myself to abuse by the gods of Chaos, Ridicule and Cheese for asking anything with the words 'how bad could it be'. :smalltongue:)

Kurald Galain
2017-09-06, 02:23 AM
Well, sure, but how bad can that be for a low-level encounter power once a day, or an at-will once per encounter? (Naturally I'm opening myself to abuse by the gods of Chaos, Ridicule and Cheese for asking anything with the words 'how bad could it be'. :smalltongue:)

Lots of good encounter powers are utilities, particularly on the wizard's list; and of course there's also a level-23 version of the boon...