PDA

View Full Version : Daunting homebrew request from player

Falcii
2017-09-05, 07:38 AM
I have a new camp (about 3 sessions in) and one of my players, specifically one who hasn't played alot of dnd, has asked for a pretty insane weapon. I make alot of neat magic items that my players probably shouldn't have (especially by level 3) so it's not totally out of left field but the scope of his request is worrisome. He wants to build the sword from xenoblade.

For those who aren't familiar (like I am not) this sword gives a complete spell list with spells that range from first to fifth level, an aoe attack and a frontal cone bleed...

I am new to 5. But even by my 3.5 sensibilities, that weapon is insane and I dunno how to handle it.

Azgeroth
2017-09-05, 08:02 AM
let him have it, but in a way that means it wont get its full power untill x is done (level appropriate for class, i.e. if they are a martial class, they dont get those 5th level spells till lvl 15)

and that cone bleed affect has a DC of 12, range of 15ft 2d6 + 1d4 at the start of every turn, takes an action to bind the wound.)

the aoe attack, use the cleave rules, whirlwind attack is a specific ranger ability, giving other class abilities in items is not cool.. (unless your running a super small party, and they need the extra capability)

Anonymouswizard
2017-09-05, 08:02 AM
Short answer, it's insane and don't make it if you care about balance.

Longer answer, that could likely be done with the Hexblade Warlock. Just refluff it as whatever the thing is.

Pelle
2017-09-05, 08:03 AM
I have a new camp (about 3 sessions in) and one of my players, specifically one who hasn't played alot of dnd, has asked for a pretty insane weapon. I make alot of neat magic items that my players probably shouldn't have (especially by level 3) so it's not totally out of left field but the scope of his request is worrisome. He wants to build the sword from xenoblade.

For those who aren't familiar (like I am not) this sword gives a complete spell list with spells that range from first to fifth level, an aoe attack and a frontal cone bleed...

I am new to 5. But even by my 3.5 sensibilities, that weapon is insane and I dunno how to handle it.

Just fluff normal spellcasting to come from the sword, use it as arcane focus or something? Or just say it doesn't fit the tone of the game...

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-05, 08:04 AM
Just have him face lots of Battlemaster Fighters, who will disarm him a bunch once they figure out that it's the weapon that is dangerous, not the wielder.

Unoriginal
2017-09-05, 08:14 AM
Demon Lords have swords less powerful than this.

You could make a sword that serves as a wand without too much problem, or turn any of the spell-casting magic items into a sword, but what the player wants has way to many spells and powers.

If the player really insists on having it that OP, you could tell them about the Pact of the Blade Warlock or the Hexblade Warlock.

Garret Dorigan
2017-09-05, 08:19 AM
Wow... Ok, from the standpoint of 3.5 sensibilities, I would design it to be a lot like a Weapon of Legacy, wherein he'll have to do some questing in order to unlock further abilities, mixed with the 5th edition mechanics for the Moonblade. He shouldn't have a problem with that, as Shulk does the exact same thing in the game.

As for the available abilities themselves:

Monado:Longsword (Legendary; Requires Attunement)
The Monado is a powerful energy blade that can manipulate the weave around it, and by doing so, change the material and immaterial shape of the world through arcane power. One's ability to control the Monado depends on the strength of will of its user.

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. While the sword is on your person, you also can use an action to apply or convoke one of the following runes associated with it. Only one rune can be active at a time.

Foresight: When you use an action to apply this rune, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and add +1 to any skill checks or saves until you apply or convoke a different rune. This rune is usable at will.
Buster: When you use a bonus action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, your next attack that hits an enemy adds 3d8 force damage. This power recharges every short rest.
Enchant: When you use an action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, yourself and allies within 30 feet are affected by the bless spell. This power recharges every dawn.
Speed: When you use an action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, you are affected by the blur spell. This power recharges every dawn.

That sort of thing. Then as previously mentioned make it so that he unlocks some of these "runes" by doing cool things in game.

Joe the Rat
2017-09-05, 08:28 AM
I'd say he can get all the cool toys, he just has to earn it.

Hexblade Blade Pact sounds perfect for this.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-05, 08:40 AM
Wow... Ok, from the standpoint of 3.5 sensibilities, I would design it to be a lot like a Weapon of Legacy, wherein he'll have to do some questing in order to unlock further abilities, mixed with the 5th edition mechanics for the Moonblade. He shouldn't have a problem with that, as Shulk does the exact same thing in the game.

As for the available abilities themselves:

Monado:Longsword (Legendary; Requires Attunement)
The Monado is a powerful energy blade that can manipulate the weave around it, and by doing so, change the material and immaterial shape of the world through arcane power. One's ability to control the Monado depends on the strength of will of its user.

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. While the sword is on your person, you also can use an action to apply or convoke one of the following runes associated with it. Only one rune can be active at a time.

Foresight: When you use an action to apply this rune, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and add +1 to any skill checks or saves until you apply or convoke a different rune. This rune is usable at will.
Buster: When you use a bonus action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, your next attack that hits an enemy adds 3d8 force damage. This power recharges every short rest.
Enchant: When you use an action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, yourself and allies within 30 feet are affected by the bless spell. This power recharges every dawn.
Speed: When you use an action to convoke this rune and concentrate on the effect, you are affected by the blur spell. This power recharges every dawn.

That sort of thing. Then as previously mentioned make it so that he unlocks some of these "runes" by doing cool things in game.

This is pretty good, and true to the game from what I know of it.
And adding in the caveat that if he wants to make it stronger beyond the relatively 'piddly' version you start him off with, it should make for a nice plot hook.
Have it be stolen at some point and they go retrieve it. Have it start acting up and/or fizzling out if he does something counter to the blade's will.

Hell, have him roll Wisdom Saves every so often just to mess with his head!
Failing one doesn't do anything, initially, but it might lock him out of one of the powers for the day.
It's a Legendary/Artifact weapon. It's gonna have at least a little bit of a mind of its own. Even if it's not a sentient weapon.