PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other "I'm Puss! ...In Boots~" Talking Cat Race

Aniikinis
2017-09-05, 08:41 AM
Watched Puss in Boots and got an idea. I'm a little concerned about the LA.

TALKING CAT CHARACTERS

Talking cat characters possess the following racial traits.

Str -2, Dex +4, Con -2, Int -4, Wis +2 (+2 App)
Tiny Quadrapedal Magical Beast. (+4 to AC and Attack, -12 to grapple, +12 to hide
2.5 foot space and 0 foot reach
Speed: 30 feet
Special Attacks: Pounce, Rake (1d2+Str)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Paw-Hands, scent, Skills
Automatic Languages: Common, Felis. Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Rogue
Level adjustment: +0

Paw-Hands:Talking cats can wield weapons in their forepaws(taking a -2 to each attack with a manufactured weapon), but they cannot use that claw for attacking if it is being used and must move at half (15') speed as long as at least one is full or at 1/3rd speed (10') if moving bipedal.
Bonus Feat: Talking cats gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level
Natural Attacks: Talking cats have three natural weapons, two claw attacks that deal (1d2 plus strength) damage and a bite attack that deals (1d3 plus strength damage)
Skills: Talking cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

Talking Cat Random Starting Ages

Adulthood
7 months

Simple
+3d6 months

Moderate
+5d6 months

Complex
+7d6 months

Talking Cat Aging Effects

Age Groups

Middle Age
4 years

Old
6 years

Venerable
8 years

Maximum Age
+1d10 years

Table: Talking Cat Random Height and Weight

Height Modifier
Base Weight
Weight Modifiers

Male
1'2"
+2d4 inches
14 lb.
+(2d4) lb.

Female
1'0"
+2d4 inches
12 lb.
+(2d4)

khadgar567
2017-09-05, 12:40 PM
Much easier method cast awaken on ms softpaws and you got your talking cat

rferries
2017-09-05, 06:24 PM
Those are some painful ability score penalties! -8 Strength and -4 Con means no melee characters, and given the mental penalties they won't make it as casters (except Bard or Sorcerer). I realise you're basing it off the movie character but I'd suggest reducing the Str and Con penalties and giving them +2 Wis (like standard animals) instead of -2.

Aniikinis
2017-09-05, 08:45 PM
Much easier method cast awaken on ms softpaws and you got your talking cat
Awaken gives HD to the animal, which means that it can't be played as a first level character.

Those are some painful ability score penalties! -8 Strength and -4 Con means no melee characters, and given the mental penalties they won't make it as casters (except Bard or Sorcerer). I realise you're basing it off the movie character but I'd suggest reducing the Str and Con penalties and giving them +2 Wis (like standard animals) instead of -2.
I think I was overestimating the benefit of the size bonus, bonus feat, and natural attacks.