PDA

View Full Version : The perfect flat distribution

Willie the Duck
2017-09-05, 09:32 AM
Taking a cue from the Perfect 18 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535357-The-Perfect-18) thread, here is another thought experiment.

Let's say you are using point buy, and cannot spend points at a worse ratio than 1:1 (so maximum score, pre-racial modification, is 13). You can do 12,12,12,13,13,13 or 8,13,13,13,13,13 or anywhere in between.

What race, initial class, and general progression do you select? What kind of assumptions (campaign, DM, party) would make you consider playing such a character?

Example.
I would pick a non-variant Human Rogue/Fighter. Beginning stats S9, D14, C14, I14, W14, Ch14. Which class I started with would depend on how readily I thought I could just hide behind people until we got to level 2 (and how much I though 1 skill was worth compared to Con over Dex saves. The few extra hp and heavy armor would not be relevant). I would be F1/R1 at level2 (for medium armor and shields until Dex is high enough), and then go straight in on one until level 4 for the ASI to get up to 16 Dex. Overall I would keep the levels roughly even at least up until level 16 with a ftr8/rog8 and 6 ASIs (probably being 3x Dex+2, a Con+2, Sharpshooter, and two utility feats like healer, ritual caster, Inspiring leader, or skilled). I would play this build as a fifth party member in a group that had plenty of damage output and needed a rogue as a skill-monkey more than they needed a glass-cannon DPR character and being highly combat-effective from the get-go.

Anyone else have something they would do?