PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on my spell steals

dnd2016
2017-09-05, 11:32 AM
10th level lore Bard here.20cha,18dex,17ac,17spell save dc,resilient,+9 to hit/bow. My attacks are mainly crowd control, buff, debuff, then crossbow attack/countetspelling/cutting words. For the life of me I don't know what to pick for my spell steals. I love the versatility of Bigby's hand, and was thinking of one damage spell. So many damn concentration spells. Trying not to add more to my list. A have enough of them already.

Thoughts?

PeteNutButter
2017-09-05, 11:42 AM
There are loads of good options. What were your level 6 spells? Counterspell and what else?

More importantly, what is the party comp? The big strength is to cover weakness of the party, and not double up on things that someone else in the team can do.

dnd2016
2017-09-05, 03:11 PM
There are loads of good options. What were your level 6 spells? Counterspell and what else?

More importantly, what is the party comp? The big strength is to cover weakness of the party, and not double up on things that someone else in the team can do.

Conjure animals

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-05, 03:15 PM
Hate to be cliche, but if you want more at-will damage that won't interrupt your concentration spells, then you might want to pick up Eldritch Blast. Sure, you're just picking up a cantrip, but you could end up doing significantly more damage than with your crossbow.

dnd2016
2017-09-05, 03:24 PM
Hate to be cliche, but if you want more at-will damage that won't interrupt your concentration spells, then you might want to pick up Eldritch Blast. Sure, you're just picking up a cantrip, but you could end up doing significantly more damage than with your crossbow.

Well, i have 1d8*5 damage for 1 hit(without my +1 arrows) vs. 2d10, but have to make 2 hits.Worth it?

dnd2016
2017-09-05, 03:29 PM

Yes, i am always thinking of group... Paladin,ranger,fighter,druid,sorcerer

Fighter plays half the time

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-05, 03:29 PM
Well, i have 1d8*5 damage for 1 hit(without my +1 arrows) vs. 2d10, but have to make 2 hits.Worth it?

At level 11, you'll have three attacks for 1d10 each. Definitely worth it then.

Each bolt from Eldritch Blast does 1d10 (average 5.5 damage). 1d8 (ave 4.5)+5 comes out to 9.5 damage on average. So Eldritch Blast will do more damage on average than your crossbow. Also, your crossbow is literally hit or miss. Eldritch Blast you can have one miss and one hit, giving you a better chance to do some damage each action.

dnd2016
2017-09-05, 03:30 PM

Each bolt from Eldritch Blast does 1d10 (average 5.5 damage). 1d8 (ave 4.5)+5 comes out to 9.5 damage on average. So Eldritch Blast will do more damage on average than your crossbow. Also, your crossbow is literally hit or miss. Eldritch Blast you can have one miss and one hit, giving you a better chance to do some damage each action.

Hmmm, yeah at 11 it will be better with better range too

PeteNutButter
2017-09-06, 05:06 AM
If at will damage is what you are really interested in, you'd be better off dipping two in warlock (if your RP can sustain it). It'd be an immediate difference of 15 damage a round (cha mod x3).

dnd2016
2017-09-06, 07:19 AM
If at will damage is what you are really interested in, you'd be better off dipping two in warlock (if your RP can sustain it). It'd be an immediate difference of 15 damage a round (cha mod x3).

Sorry, what does RP mean?

nickl_2000
2017-09-06, 07:24 AM

In this case Role Play. PeteNutButter is saying that you would be better off dipping two levels into Warlock if it makes sense from a character standpoint.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-06, 07:25 AM

RP = role play. Basically, if you don't mind making a pact with a powerful being while staying true to how you see your character.

dnd2016
2017-09-06, 11:58 AM
Ahh, thanks

What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking two levels of Warlock?

PeteNutButter
2017-09-06, 01:39 PM
Ahh, thanks

What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking two levels of Warlock?

Delay bard spell progression by 2 levels.

Gain almost the full offense potential of a warlock of your full level. With hex and EB (1d10+1d6+5) x 3, an average damage of 42. Unless your fighter has GWM or SS feat you just outpaced them.

Honestly it is one of the biggest flaws in the warlock class that the bulk of its power comes online in 2 levels, heavily encouraging bards or even better sorcerers to take two levels of it.

dnd2016
2017-09-06, 03:35 PM
Plus, 2 sort rest slots of 1st level?
Plus, knock-back 10ft with every beam?

PeteNutButter
2017-09-06, 04:03 PM
Plus, 2 sort rest slots of 1st level?
Plus, knock-back 10ft with every beam?

Yes or another invocation if preferred. The short rest slots aren't much at that point but they are useful for things like healing word.

sky red hunter
2017-09-06, 04:31 PM
Just take destructive wave from the paladin spell list. paladins get it at level 17 you can have it at 10!! each creature within 30 ft of you must succeed on a con st or take 5d6 thunder damage, and 5d6 radiant/necrotic damage and be knocked prone.half damage and not prone on a successful save.

dnd2016
2017-09-06, 05:57 PM
Just take destructive wave from the paladin spell list. paladins get it at level 17 you can have it at 10!! each creature within 30 ft of you must succeed on a con st or take 5d6 thunder damage, and 5d6 radiant/necrotic damage and be knocked prone.half damage and not prone on a successful save.

Yes I really love that one along with Bigby's hand. But then that means I can only cast each one of them once a day or one of them twice a day

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-06, 11:00 PM
Playing a Bard I have been reading tbis with interest. How do you get the three attacks work for EB here?
"Gain almost the full offense potential of a warlock of your full level. With hex and EB (1d10+1d6+5) x 3, an average damage of 42. Unless your fighter has GWM or SS feat you just outpaced them. "

I am familiar with Hex, a big deal with the disadvantage it applies also. Warlocks are structured a bit differently than Bards so that sounds interesting.

Crgaston
2017-09-06, 11:18 PM
Playing a Bard I have been reading tbis with interest. How do you get the three attacks work for EB here?
"Gain almost the full offense potential of a warlock of your full level. With hex and EB (1d10+1d6+5) x 3, an average damage of 42. Unless your fighter has GWM or SS feat you just outpaced them. "

I am familiar with Hex, a big deal with the disadvantage it applies also. Warlocks are structured a bit differently than Bards so that sounds interesting.

Cantrips scale based on character level rather than class level. So ANY 11th level character who has Eldritch Blast gets 3 attacks. At Warlock level 2, you unlock the invocation which allows you to add your CHA mod to each EB hit.
So.
Boom.

Sigreid
2017-09-06, 11:19 PM

I just thought I'd point out that you can get this benefit by taking spell sniper with your next feat, and save your spell secret for something else.

KnotaGuru
2017-09-06, 11:29 PM
I played a lore bard up to 15th, lots of fun. IMO, don't dip and delay bard progression. For level 10 magical secrets, get wall of force (I know it's another concentration spell but it's awesome and no one else in your party can get it). Remember your job as the bard is to shut enemies down :) That being said, if you really want a little damage, spiritual weapon is a great non-concentration damage over time spell that you can even upcast. Wait until level 12 to pick up eldritch blast via spell sniper for 240' damage spell. Level 14 magical secrets get simulacrum and clone one of the damage dealers for your own personnel bodyguard.

dnd2016
2017-09-07, 12:03 PM
I cant add my Charisma bonus to the rays though from spell sniper

KnotaGuru
2017-09-07, 12:23 PM
I cant add my Charisma bonus to the rays though from spell sniper

Correct, but damage is just a cliffnote for lore bard. Is it worth 2 level bard delay for that extra damage that you'll only be doing occasionally? Depends on you. Warlock 2 does offer a few other benefits, but for me it wasn't worth the delay in bard.

dnd2016
2017-09-07, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, fair point

dnd2016
2017-09-07, 01:07 PM
Hmmm, fair point

The only thing that sucks is that now it's not that much better than my crossbow attack

Vorpalchicken
2017-09-07, 01:20 PM
Circle of Power and Swift Quiver to make the paladin and ranger jealous.

(But don't really take Swift Quiver with your build)

dnd2016
2017-09-07, 02:05 PM
I don't think Swift quiver will work for me without the crossbow feat anyway

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-07, 02:14 PM
How many times in your last few sessions would EB have come in handy?

Anything about to change in your campaign which would make it more or less likely to be used?

dnd2016
2017-09-09, 03:32 PM
Yeah I'm not going to take Eldritch blast. Doesn't really fit my guy. Do you think spiritual weapon and Bigby's hand would be a waste? One for medium encounters and the other for larger encounters