PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC help

cullynthedwarf
2017-09-05, 12:05 PM
So the Campaign i am running is LOOSELY based off the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series. there are some names that pop up as well as some personalities i have borrowed.

This leads me to my question. The PC have just come across a Half Giant with a Loilal inspired personality, for those of you that dont know Very bookish, he thinks he is the bard of the group rather then a main character. because of their long life tends to take a long view of things and as such remember things most humans forget due to their shorter life spans. Loilal through out the course of the series goes from shy but curious about the world to a seasoned fighter, while he may never like taking lives he can now do it with out flinching.

So my question is, With out immediately saying Cloister Cleric, what Class should i make him?

Deeds
2017-09-05, 03:12 PM
I'm not familiar with the series but if the guy thinks he's a bard and he's knowledgable like a bard then he could just be a bard.

Perhaps some of the bard mechanics don't match up like bardic music, spells, or other class features but bards are great at information and gossip. The class can be an effective melee class too for what its worth.

Thurbane
2017-09-05, 09:20 PM
Archivist could also work. Buy some cross class skills in perform, or dip into a PrC that offers a similar ability to Bardic Music, if you like.

DrMotives
2017-09-05, 09:44 PM
Loremaster, from the DMG is a very appropriate PrC. It'll put the "cloistered cleric" flavor on the base caster of your choice.

DrKerosene
2017-09-08, 06:10 AM
I'm not familiar with the character, but could a Rogue 5 (or 4 with one level of Ranger)/Chameleon X work?

Take the magical training feat at level 1, pick Wizard, copy spells, take the feat Practiced Spellcaster so your CL doesn't drop before entering Chameleon. Then you already have your Wizard Spellbook (and you should have been able to copy down spells if you deciphered the scroll).

Otherwise, pretend to be a cleric. And say they picked up the magic in the same way Bards do.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-08, 08:35 AM
Loial is very much not a spellcaster, but he does have some magical skills, especially related to life, plants, and trees, which he shapes through singing. In D&D, I believe that might translate to something like druid/mystic ranger + bard's forced vocal component (a flaw, for fluff reasons) + bardic lore. Green Whisperer is a good PrC for this. Fochlucan Lyrist would progress a lot of abilities at higher levels, but Loial does not have the stealth/espionage fluff of that class.