PDA

View Full Version : Any 'good' undead-portfolio gods in DND?

LamiaCritter
2017-09-05, 02:16 PM
Howdy! I'm making a new character for both a PC game(originating on the Sigil server on NWN2) , as well as tabletop D&D; and she's going to be maybe a necromancer. Knowing that, I'm wondering if anyone by chance, knows of a god in the DND universe that has undeath or death in its portfolio and is considered 'good'? Or at least neutral?

I'm trying to figure out a way to play a necromancer who herself isn't inherently evil, but her magic arts, I imagine are, considering well, necromancy, while she struggles to vouch for the dark art.

I'm not asking for a 'this doesn't make sense', or anything like that in regards to my character's motives or the likes.
My question is:

Is there a god in any pantheon, used in the D&D universe, that is considered 'Good', or at the very least, Neutral, that is undead-focused? Thanks~

Blue Lantern
2017-09-05, 02:52 PM
As far as I know no. D&D has always taken the approach that undead is inherently evil.

Maybe some elven deity, since back in the day there were the "good liches" elven undead, so maybe they have a patron deity, but I can't give a name.

Karl Aegis
2017-09-05, 03:52 PM
Wee Jas the Witch Goddess comes to mind as one of the neutral ones.

Anxe
2017-09-05, 03:56 PM
Was Osiris given a good alignment in the Deities and Demigods book? Depending on what you consider a D&D universe, that might count. Or Anubis?

BWR
2017-09-05, 04:34 PM
Necromancy isn't inherently evil. Before 3.x healing magic was Necromancy because you manipulate life force, not summon external energy from other places. The Complete Book of Necromancers lists the sort of magic that is considered good necromancy, including healing spells and anti-undead magic, and there is a wide variety of non-evil necromancy out there.

As for gods of the undead that are good, hardly. Pretty much every one I could find was evil. The closest I can think of a god that is specifically interested in undead but isn't particularly evil is Nyx from Mystara. Sure, she wants to see undead rule a darkened world, but that isn't hatred of life or light, just love of the undead. She gets along well with Ixion, a god who hates undead when not 'talking shop', and she doesn't bear any hatred mortals apart from when they kill her beloved undead - she just loves the beauty of darkness and the creatures of the night. She's listed as Neutral and may have clerics of any alignment.

Darth Ultron
2017-09-05, 05:04 PM
Kelemvor comes to mind. He rules the City of Judgement and is the straight up God of Death. He's Lawful Neutral.

And Jergal, the god of tombs and death as a fate. Also Lawful Neutral.

Sehanine Moonbow, Elven goddess of divination, dreams, travel and death. (CG)

Urogalan, Halfling god of earth and death. (LN)

Dumathoin, Dwarven god of buried secrets (N)

BWR
2017-09-05, 05:38 PM
Kelemvor comes to mind. He rules the City of Judgement and is the straight up God of Death. He's Lawful Neutral.

And Jergal, the god of tombs and death as a fate. Also Lawful Neutral.

Sehanine Moonbow, Elven goddess of divination, dreams, travel and death. (CG)

Urogalan, Halfling god of earth and death. (LN)

Dumathoin, Dwarven god of buried secrets (N)

These gods are all hostile to undead. Death is usually something distinct from undeath in D&D.

LamiaCritter
2017-09-05, 05:51 PM
<Snippety!>

As for gods of the undead that are good, hardly. Pretty much every one I could find was evil. The closest I can think of a god that is specifically interested in undead but isn't particularly evil is Nyx from Mystara. Sure, she wants to see undead rule a darkened world, but that isn't hatred of life or light, just love of the undead. She gets along well with Ixion, a god who hates undead when not 'talking shop', and she doesn't bear any hatred mortals apart from when they kill her beloved undead - she just loves the beauty of darkness and the creatures of the night. She's listed as Neutral and may have clerics of any alignment.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! THank you~! <3 She fits absolutely perfectly! <3

BWR
2017-09-05, 06:03 PM
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! THank you~! <3 She fits absolutely perfectly! <3

Nyx is basically the hot Goth chick goddess. Obsessed with the beauty of darkness, creatures of the night and changing the Multiverse to something that fits her vision of beauty.

Lord Torath
2017-09-05, 07:47 PM
Nyx is basically the hot Goth chick goddess. Obsessed with the beauty of darkness, creatures of the night and changing the Multiverse to something that fits her vision of beauty.So Tsukiko (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html) raised to god-hood. With maybe a bit less necrophilia.

Bohandas
2017-09-05, 07:55 PM
I think there was one in Ghostwalk, IIRC

redwizard007
2017-09-05, 07:59 PM
http://www.colton3d.com/dnd/Evening_Glory

This chick, though she is 4th edition

Dragonexx
2017-09-05, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Evening Glory was in Libris Mortis, a 3.5 book.

Slipperychicken
2017-09-05, 10:03 PM
Wee Jas the Witch Goddess comes to mind as one of the neutral ones.

She's LN, so under 3.5 you could play an LG cleric of Wee Jass.

ATHATH
2017-09-08, 08:01 PM
Wee Jas tends to be my go-to for a "not an a-hole" deity/patron for my necromancer Clerics.

slowplay
2017-09-08, 09:32 PM
check out the elven pantheon from Eberron. they worship their undead ancestors iirc.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-08, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Evening Glory was in Libris Mortis, a 3.5 book.
Correct. Evening Glory was listed in Libris Mortis as the goddess of undead and love who used the unchanging nature of the undead to preserve love at its highest point in the person's life.

Wee Jas tends to be my go-to for a "not an a-hole" deity/patron for my necromancer Clerics.

IIRC Wee Jas only demands that the body to be turned undead be procured lawfully.