PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Grung Player Race Confirmed?

tmjr6
2017-09-05, 03:32 PM
So I was looking at the Tomb of Annihilation surrogate character sheets yesterday and noticed that in the tier 1 surrogates for the rogue, there was a new race; a green grung. Could this be Wizards alluding to a brand new race that will come out in either Tomb of Annihilation or Xanadar's?

Here's a link for those curious: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/tomb-annihilation

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-05, 03:46 PM
New? Bah, some of us have been playing grungs since december last year (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510514-OOC-All-Creatures-Great-and-Small-(5E))! They'll be out of fashion by the time the Guide to Everything comes out!

jaappleton
2017-09-05, 04:03 PM
Tortles are confirmed, too. Though I think that'll be a DMsGuild release.

No, really. Tortles.

Yes, seriously.

Really.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-05, 04:09 PM
Why was i not aware of this what stay boosts do they get!?

jaappleton
2017-09-05, 04:10 PM

They get expanded crit range when named Glenn and wielding the Masamune.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-05, 04:11 PM
They get expanded crit range when named Glenn and wielding the Masamune.

I fail to grasp this joke

Contrast
2017-09-05, 04:13 PM
I fail to grasp this joke

Frog from Chrono Trigger (http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Frog)

tmjr6
2017-09-05, 04:13 PM

It looks like it might be +2 to Dex and +1 to Con?

Ventruenox
2017-09-05, 04:36 PM
My suspicion is that they will be released in three days with the new modules. From The Tomb of Annihilation Guild Adepts article posted 8/29 on WoTC:

Return of the Lizard King

In Chult’s Valley of Dread, warring tribes of lizardfolk have kept each other in check for centuries. As the tribes slowly fall under the sway of a new leader, omens point to the return of an ancient threat. Adventurers from a far-away realm find themselves in the middle of the fray. Their heroics could save the land from terrible evil, or could play a part in bringing about doom!

Return of the Lizard King is an adventure for characters level 1-4, playable as a lead-in to Tomb of Annihilation. Report your players’ decisions, and see how they affect a forthcoming high-level adventure in the same setting! The adventure also includes new playable races, class archetypes, backgrounds, feats, spells, and monsters designed specifically for this adventure and for Tomb of Annihilation.

jaappleton
2017-09-05, 04:49 PM
My suspicion is that they will be released in three days with the new modules. From The Tomb of Annihilation Guild Adepts article posted 8/29 on WoTC:

In Chult’s Valley of Dread, warring tribes of lizardfolk have kept each other in check for centuries. As the tribes slowly fall under the sway of a new leader, omens point to the return of an ancient threat. Adventurers from a far-away realm find themselves in the middle of the fray. Their heroics could save the land from terrible evil, or could play a part in bringing about doom!

Return of the Lizard King is an adventure for characters level 1-4, playable as a lead-in to Tomb of Annihilation. Report your players’ decisions, and see how they affect a forthcoming high-level adventure in the same setting! The adventure also includes new playable races, class archetypes, backgrounds, feats, spells, and monsters designed specifically for this adventure and for Tomb of Annihilation.

Lizard King? Jim Morrison is a villain now?! They've run out of ideas...

Ravinsild
2017-09-05, 04:59 PM

Is this a whole book unto itself or part of XgtE or is it part of the Tomb of Annihilation book? I want this.

8wGremlin
2017-09-05, 09:55 PM
From the Grung rogue character:

SPEED.You have a climb speed of 25 ft.

AMPHIBIOUS.
You can breathe air and water.

POISON IMMUNITY.
You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.

POISONOUS SKIN.
Any creature that grapples you or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin must succeed on a DC 12
Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature no longer in direct contact with you can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
You can also apply this poison to any piercing weapon as part of an attack with that weapon, though when you hit
the poison reacts differently. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 poison
damage. No additional effects apply.

STANDING LEAP.
Your long jump is up to 25 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

WATER DEPENDENCY.
If you fail to immerse yourself in water for at least 1 hour during a day, you suffer one level of exhaustion at the end of that day. You can only recover from this exhaustion through magic or by immersing yourself in water for at least 1 hour.

PS what the hell is a Grung, I've never heard of them, and I've played D&D for the last 30 years!

Ravinsild
2017-09-05, 10:05 PM
From the Grung rogue character:

SPEED.You have a climb speed of 25 ft.

AMPHIBIOUS.
You can breathe air and water.

POISON IMMUNITY.
You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.

POISONOUS SKIN.
Any creature that grapples you or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin must succeed on a DC 12
Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature no longer in direct contact with you can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
You can also apply this poison to any piercing weapon as part of an attack with that weapon, though when you hit
the poison reacts differently. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 poison

STANDING LEAP.
Your long jump is up to 25 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

WATER DEPENDENCY.
If you fail to immerse yourself in water for at least 1 hour during a day, you suffer one level of exhaustion at the end of that day. You can only recover from this exhaustion through magic or by immersing yourself in water for at least 1 hour.

PS what the hell is a Grung, I've never heard of them, and I've played D&D for the last 30 years!

They are cute little frog people.

8wGremlin
2017-09-05, 11:32 PM
Thanks @Ravinsild..

now - wildshaped Grung,

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

So what is the poison based off of?
What beasts have piecing attacks?
You have a climb speed and can breath water or air, in any form?

Falcon X
2017-09-05, 11:36 PM
Sigh. This means we will never get the Grippli. Fortunately, these are practically the same.

BurgerKingMan
2017-09-06, 12:25 AM
These guys would make excellent dex-based barbarians. There poison damage would make up for the rage damage you could not use due to rage mechanics. Also raging would remove disadvantage from grappling medium creature allowing you a lot more flexibility with handing out your poison. Alternatively you can make a monk out of this and rp as Brock's Croagunk.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-06, 03:00 AM
now - wildshaped Grung,

So what is the poison based off of?
What beasts have piecing attacks?
You have a climb speed and can breath water or air, in any form?

Well, I would argue that any beast that doesn't have poison glands in its skin can't use the poison, and you need their weird frog hands to use the climb speed. Not sure whether the water breathing is magical or biological.

It's like, if an aarakocra druid wildshaped into a wolf, it wouldn't keep its fly speed, would it?

In Volo's, the poison DC is Con-based, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be here. Among beasts, most bite attacks are piercing (exceptions: camel, horse, giant fire beetle), as well as birds' beak attacks, the mammoth's gore (but not the rhino's) and the scorpion and wasp stingers.

Contrast
2017-09-06, 04:01 AM

Wait, so no action or limitation on applying the poison? DC12 isn't that high admittedly but free extra damage is free extra damage.

Water Dependency is potentially problematic but much like sunlight sensitivity I imagine it mostly means they'll only get played where the DM agrees a workaround.

Finback
2017-09-06, 04:07 AM
It's like, if an aarakocra druid wildshaped into a wolf, it wouldn't keep its fly speed, would it?

Depends on where it was. If it was high enough, it'd still have a fly speed - it'd just be downwards.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-06, 04:23 AM
Depends on where it was. If it was high enough, it'd still have a fly speed - it'd just be downwards.

http://i68.tinypic.com/v2sbol.jpg

Water Dependency is potentially problematic

So far, we've found the poisonous skin much more problematic. Our cleric wanted to cast cure wounds on Fai and then we were like "wait, no" and then I wanted to cast fly on him... Fortunately our druid is an earth elemental, so she's immune to poison. I guess we'll have to invest in some gloves, but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet.

Contrast
2017-09-06, 04:57 AM
So far, we've found the poisonous skin much more problematic. Our cleric wanted to cast cure wounds on Fai and then we were like "wait, no" and then I wanted to cast fly on him... Fortunately our druid is an earth elemental, so she's immune to poison. I guess we'll have to invest in some gloves, but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet.

Hmm didn't consider that. I would expect a DM to rule I could cast a touch spell through a gauntlet/glove or that I could cast Fly on someone whose boot/trouser covered leg I was grabbing as they hung off a ledge so I don't see why I couldn't simply put my hand on their chest through their shirt or another handy piece of cloth.

A medicine check to stabilise someone would be problematic however (though now that I'm thinking about it that would be pretty difficult through armour as well so...).

Edit - out of interest how have you been addressing the water issue? It seems you'd need to plan to always stay somewhere with a bath and your travel options would be heavily controlled by the position of rivers and lakes (even then you'd have to be careful - can't have the creature which constantly exudes poison wallowing in someones drinking water for an hour). Even if you have someone with Create Water who keeps a spell slot free or an alchemy jug, you need to carry a watertight barrel big enough to submerge in around with you and hope it never gets damaged.

Edit 2 - I guess as long as you weren't in a mountain Mold Earth (or a spade, time and some elbow grease), combined with some method of water creation would create a small muddy pond which gets the job done.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-06, 05:51 AM
Edit - out of interest how have you been addressing the water issue?

Um... I can't say because so far we haven't completed our first day of adventuring. It's been quite a slow game, even by PbP standards. Our main quest is to sneak into a wizard's hideout though, so I expect we'll have to account for the bathing at some point during the infiltration. Like maybe if we smuggle ourselves in by hiding in crates, Fai's will have to be a water butt.

Ventruenox
2017-09-06, 09:37 AM
I see one more use for the Decanter of Endless Water with this race.

As mentioned above, a Magic Initiate: Druid feat tax for Mold Earth and Create Water would compensate for the racial downside. Toss in Thorn Whip refluffed as a tongue for good measure.

Even though the synergy is better for a ranged combatant, I'm theorycrafting Chrono Trigger to use this race. One level of Protection Domain Cleric for Create Water and the defensive bonus action, then the rest Paladin in either Devotion or Ancient Oaths.

Byke
2017-09-06, 11:49 AM
Sorry off topic...but it is obvious the WotC still hasn't figured out how to build Sorcerers. T1 and T2 Surrogate Sorcerer PDF. Ancestry - Black dragon and the only acid spell they have is Acid Splash cantrip. Sad....no wonder noobies have so many problems.

tmjr6
2017-09-09, 03:55 PM
Just looked through Return of the Lizard King the only two races are a new type of Lizardfolk with various subraces and Wilden. Looks like Grung will be in a new book.

jaappleton
2017-09-09, 04:40 PM
Just looked through Return of the Lizard King the only two races are a new type of Lizardfolk with various subraces and Wilden. Looks like Grung will be in a new book.

WILDEN?

Do tell.

SharkForce
2017-09-09, 04:44 PM
Sorry off topic...but it is obvious the WotC still hasn't figured out how to build Sorcerers. T1 and T2 Surrogate Sorcerer PDF. Ancestry - Black dragon and the only acid spell they have is Acid Splash cantrip. Sad....no wonder noobies have so many problems.

all the surrogates are pretty badly optimized. the only ones that didn't make lousy decisions are the ones where they didn't have any decisions to make.

yes, the sorcerer is particularly bad. that's because sorcerers have more choices to make than, say, the fighter. then again, the fighter can't have any feats, and let's face it, martials benefit far more from feats than full spellcasters (in both power and in making their character distinct).

tmjr6
2017-09-09, 05:08 PM
WILDEN?

Do tell.

Wilden

ABI: +1 Wis
Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan
Nature's Fortification: When an adjacent ally is reduced to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to 5 + your character level. This trait refreshes after a short or long rest.
Tough as Wood: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws
Wilderness Adept: You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Animal Handling, Athletics, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival.

Oak Wilden Subrace
ABI: +2 Strength
Natural Armor: You have tough bark skin and hardened wood for flesh. When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you would wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Pine Wilden
ABI: +2 Dex
Protective Needles: When you are struck with a melee weapon attack by an adjacent enemy, you can use a reaction to do piercing damage to that enemy. The damage is 2d10 on a failed Dex save or half as much on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d10 at 6th level, 4d10 at 11th level, and 5d10 at 16th level. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Con mod + your prof bonus.

After you use your protective needles, you cannot use this trait again until you complete a short or long rest.

Willow Wilden
ABI: +2 Con
Leafy Concealment: As a bonus action, you can conceal yourself within your long, leafy hair. Until the start of your next turn, all attacks against you are made at disadvantage. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

There's also a Circle of Reaping Druid circle and a Survival Cleric Domain. As far as the new Guild Adept stuff goes, this and the "Beasts of the Jungle Rot" book are highly recommended.

jaappleton
2017-09-09, 05:16 PM
Wilden

ABI: +1 Wis
Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan
Nature's Fortification: When an adjacent ally is reduced to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to 5 + your character level. This trait refreshes after a short or long rest.
Tough as Wood: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws
Wilderness Adept: You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Animal Handling, Athletics, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival.

Oak Wilden Subrace
ABI: +2 Strength
Natural Armor: You have tough bark skin and hardened wood for flesh. When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you would wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Pine Wilden
ABI: +2 Dex
Protective Needles: When you are struck with a melee weapon attack by an adjacent enemy, you can use a reaction to do piercing damage to that enemy. The damage is 2d10 on a failed Dex save or half as much on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d10 at 6th level, 4d10 at 11th level, and 5d10 at 16th level. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Con mod + your prof bonus.

After you use your protective needles, you cannot use this trait again until you complete a short or long rest.

Willow Wilden
ABI: +2 Con
Leafy Concealment: As a bonus action, you can conceal yourself within your long, leafy hair. Until the start of your next turn, all attacks against you are made at disadvantage. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

There's also a Circle of Reaping Druid circle and a Survival Cleric Domain. As far as the new Guild Adept stuff goes, this and the "Beasts of the Jungle Rot" book are highly recommended.

I'm curious to find out of the DMs Guild Adept stuff is official in any capacity. Because of these races and archetypes become officially recognized... That's huge. Shawn Merwin, the author of Return of the Lizard King, has done plenty of work with WOTC in the past, hasn't he?

Is Circle of Reaping the same as Circle of Harvest from UA?
Also, I love the idea of a Pine Wilden Nature Cleric. That ability every short rest? Clerics have the AC to be up front a lot already, and having that ability in their back pocket is pretty nice.

Saiga
2017-09-09, 05:25 PM
I'm now wondering what feats and spells are in this. Will it be UA or new stuff? Survival Domain is definitely new, the Druid circle might just be renamed.

The starter spells UA didn't seem like it fit this adventure, so it could be new. Which is pretty exciting.

tmjr6
2017-09-09, 05:27 PM
I'm now wondering what feats and spells are in this. Will it be UA or new stuff? Survival Domain is definitely new, the Druid circle might just be renamed.

The starter spells UA didn't seem like it fit this adventure, so it could be new. Which is pretty exciting.

Everything is brand new.

Saiga
2017-09-09, 05:32 PM
That's awesome! I can't wait to see the details of it.

Belltent
2017-09-10, 08:17 AM
I'm curious to find out of the DMs Guild Adept stuff is official in any capacity. Because of these races and archetypes become officially recognized... That's huge. Shawn Merwin, the author of Return of the Lizard King, has done plenty of work with WOTC in the past, hasn't he?

Pretty sure the answer is no. The new AL paperwork that came out the same day lists the Tortle Package and XGtE, but does not mention anything about the Guild Adept program. This looks to be standard, homebrew DMs Guild content that WotC is waving a flag around to drive up sales.

Merwin has written some AL in the past.

And for those asking, Grung are NOT in ToA and Mearls and Crawford have confirmed a litany of times that there are no new races in XGtE. Besides, they basically just extrapolated what's already in Volo's.

Tanarii
2017-09-10, 11:24 AM
Tortles are confirmed, too. Though I think that'll be a DMsGuild release.

No, really. Tortles.

Yes, seriously.

Really.I just started a Mystara campaign, and playable Tortles are just what it needs to bring back that BECMI feel.

Seriously though, when I read the 5e Mystara conversion handbook I was amazed someone wasted the time to include them as a race.