PDA

View Full Version : Need help designing a noncombat encounter.

Elric VIII
2017-09-05, 03:45 PM
I need some help designing a noncombat encounter for a 5th level party. I want it to have a pre-set system of mechanics, because I do not like to be too arbitrary when deciding if things succeed or fail.

I'm not sure exactly where to start, but I think the general idea would be to move in initiative order with the environment reacting to preset triggers based on PC actions or number of rounds. I tend to play in a more gamist style, so this may end up being like a puzzle dungeon. I would love some suggestions of things to happen.

The premise:
The party is travelling through the desert in search of a set of ruins that will guide them to a hidden trove of magical knowledge. The ruins will be set on top of a plateau that is protected by elemental spirits. However, these spirits have grown weak and cannot manifest themselves fully in the material plane. Instead, they exert their influence on the environment, causing natural events to occur in an unnatural way.

I'm thinking about things like crumbling rocks forcing Str saves while climbing, fierce winds causing Dex saves, sandy guts causing Con saves. What I'd like are some ideas that allow the players to interact with the world proactively, rather than just force them to take saves. Maybe something like a falling boulder that can be attacked to break it apart?

I would really like this to represent an arduous journey.

HandofBlades
2017-09-05, 03:55 PM
I would go with the typical set up of a 4e skill challenge. Pick 4-5 skills that focus on what the characters will be doing and the rest for additional help with said challenges. To mark the progress of time and resources spent since you want them to get there either do it so that certain hazards cause damage or use up a hit dice to mark failures. 12 successes needed to finish the whole ordeal but let folks get creative. The wizard wants to use arcana to manipulate the wind to clear an it of the storm D.C. 10 and costs a spell slot. At 15 it costs just a level 1 slot at a 20 no resources spent.

The fighter wants to athletics up the plateau cool 10 gets him there but he is exhausted afterwards and spends 1 hit dice. 15 he just loses a hit dice and 20 he loses nothing.

The rogue wants to perception. D.C. 15 He sees what is coming and lowers the D.C. By 5 on the next check. For a 20 lowers and gives advantage. 25 next roll auto succeeds.

For say water elementals they cause quicksand. A D.C. 15 survival to bypass but the party loses a hit dice. 20 no loss. 25 the quaqmire actually leads to an underground tunnel shielding them from the worst of the storm leading them to the base of said plateau.

Unoriginal
2017-09-05, 03:57 PM
Honestly I would just make the spirits's attempts count as traps.

Have you read the UA on the subject? It might help you

Elric VIII
2017-09-06, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will end up playing it as a combination of traps and skill checks linked by a flowchart style map.