PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Locations of most powerful artifacts

Melcar
2017-09-05, 04:44 PM
Hello scribes...

I was thinking about doing some of the cool and powerful artifacts around Forgotten Realms and since I haven't really read any of the novels I was thinking about asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of the following items in 1372-1374 in D&D 3.X.

1) The Nether Scrolls

2) The Highfire Crown

3) The Grandstaff

4) The Ring of Winter

I know they might have been kept secret, for the DM to come up with interesting quests, but I was thinking that thy might have been mentioned in novels or splatbooks I havent read!

Thanks

Crake
2017-09-06, 02:44 AM
Is your intent to use metagame knowledge to go and collect those artifacts? If it is, I highly doubt the DM will go along with your plans for that.

Seto
2017-09-06, 02:48 AM
As I understand it, OP is the DM, wants to place those artefacts in their game, and asks if they have a canon hiding spot.

Melcar
2017-09-06, 03:13 AM
Is your intent to use metagame knowledge to go and collect those artifacts? If it is, I highly doubt the DM will go along with your plans for that.

I am thinking of building some adventure around archeology and I am considering using these items. But before place them arbitrarily across my game world (Faerūn) I want to know if they have a canon hiding place.

As I understand it, OP is the DM, wants to place those artefacts in their game, and asks if they have a canon hiding spot.

Indeed you are correct. That's exactly what I'm asking :smallbiggrin:

Zordran
2017-09-07, 02:01 AM
The only one that I know for sure isn't going to help you much: the 100 Nether Scrolls are broken up all over the world. They're indestructible unless brought together, and resist divination, so they could be literally anywhere from a mountain crag to a volcano to the bottom of a lake to some farmer's foot locker. Though I believe that they radiate some kind of bad luck/sickness/something, and attempts to study any individual piece usually kills the scholar.

Crake
2017-09-07, 03:46 AM
I am thinking of building some adventure around archeology and I am considering using these items. But before place them arbitrarily across my game world (Faerūn) I want to know if they have a canon hiding place.

Indeed you are correct. That's exactly what I'm asking :smallbiggrin:

Ah right, sorry, I was projecting my frustration toward one of my more metagamey players onto you, and for that I apologise.

Darth Ultron
2017-09-07, 06:24 AM
The Nether Scrolls are broken up....and some of them are polymoprthed into a tree and hidden somewhere by the elves.

The staff and crown I don't think have ''official spots'' in 1370ish. (Guess they would still be in the 2E spots?)

Autrcis Cimber would/could/should still have The Ring of Winter, it does make the wearer immortal, after all.

Melcar
2017-09-07, 07:14 AM
The Nether Scrolls are broken up....and some of them are polymoprthed into a tree and hidden somewhere by the elves.

The staff and crown I don't think have ''official spots'' in 1370ish. (Guess they would still be in the 2E spots?)

Autrcis Cimber would/could/should still have The Ring of Winter, it does make the wearer immortal, after all.

Thats very interesting...

If you by any chance have or know about 2nd edition locations, please fell free to share them. :smallbiggrin:

PS: I know about the Golden Beach Tree (the one full set of Scrolls the elves stole from the Netherese and converted. Its in the Windsong Tower in Cormathor/ Myth Drannor. (Not counting that Adventure module where it was stolen by the Shadowar) :)

Tyrant
2017-09-07, 07:52 AM
Are there 3.5 stats anywhere for the Ring of Winter?

Melcar
2017-09-08, 04:04 AM
Ah right, sorry, I was projecting my frustration toward one of my more metagamey players onto you, and for that I apologise.

No worries mate! :smallsmile:

Are there 3.5 stats anywhere for the Ring of Winter?

Not to my knowledge. It seems more like a plot devise than an item for actual player use. From Volo's Guide to All Things Magical: "[...] it is far too powerful to give to player characters [...]" However that was 2nd edition. In an epic 3.5 ed campaign I don't see it as too powerful compared to epic magic and epic items.

Alabenson
2017-09-08, 01:53 PM
Regarding the Nether Scrolls, during the timeframe you mentioned there would be a complete set in Windsong Tower, located in Myth Drannor, in the form of a golden beach tree.