PDA

View Full Version : Question on Jade Phoenix Mage.

Abstruse
2007-08-12, 11:48 AM
For arcane wrath, does the attack and damage bonus for sacrificing a spell apply to all attacks before your next turn, or to only one? The text is sort of unclear, given that arcane strike (CAdv) works in a similar fashion.

Amiria
2007-08-12, 11:51 AM
No, the text says "single" attack.

Abstruse
2007-08-12, 11:59 AM
No, the text says "single" attack.

Ahh, good point. I'd missed that and read only the next sentence -- "only on an attack made before the beginning of your next turn."

Looks like I'm adding arcane strike to my gish build, then. : )

Jasdoif
2007-08-12, 01:00 PM
Ahh, good point. I'd missed that and read only the next sentence -- "only on an attack made before the beginning of your next turn."

Looks like I'm adding arcane strike to my gish build, then. : )Since neither of them provide typed bonuses, they stack and thus having both isn't an overly bad idea in any case.

Do note the differences between the two: Arcane Strike gives you a bonus on your attack rolls equal to the spell level sacrificed, and a damage bonus of 1d4 per spell level. Arcane Wrath only applies to a single strike, but provides a flat +4 bonus to the attack roll and a damage bonus of 1d10 per spell level sacrificed.

So you can use a cantrip with Arcane Wrath to get a +4 to the attack roll, even though you won't get any damage bonus. And Arcane Wrath's damage bonus is a lot bigger as well, useful if you're in a situation where you can only make a single attack during your turn.