PDA

View Full Version : Hermit discovery: Revised familiar/animal companion

Harrysonford
2017-09-05, 10:46 PM
Ok so I have revised my idea for my characters feature. This is my idea for the hermit background discovery feature, taking one of these options, let me know what you think.

1) new forms for your familiar, including Faerie dragon?

2) animal companion (essentially noble servant feature) non-combat, but will pull you away from combat if you fall unconscious?

3) maybe a second familiar?

Please let me know what you think!
Thank you in advanced! :)

TundraBuccaneer
2017-09-06, 04:25 AM
I would only go with 2. Its nice and flavoured, you can have a trusty pet dog.
Fearie dragons have a breath ability and have spells, so it would be like asking to add the magic initiate feat on to your find familiar spell.
I wouldn't just make spells stronger with a background feature, it should add some roll play depth that's what they mend to do.

Asmotherion
2017-09-06, 06:04 AM
Thematic alright, yet I'd advise giving equally high-end options to everyone.

I mean, you realise this is pretty much something worth a class feature?

I am totally not against the idea, I just want to provide some productive information to be sure it will not turn against you :) I have given dragons to players after all, so I'm not one to talk XD

Be sure that everyone gets something equal. In a Heroic or Heavy Rp style game, this is perfect. In a hack and slash, not so much. Perhaps compensate the others with a further developed Racial Ability (Darkvision becomes more interesting for example, by seeing in magical darkness or by being played as "really good eyes" and giving the benefits of the Alert feat... a Sage might be able to gain an invocation and a cantrip (Eldritch Blast + Agonising) if he has the "I have sold my soul for knowlage..." option... etc...)

Raw, what I suggest is a mess, and I know it. A lot of people will disagree with me. But in the end, what you have to care about, as a DM is "what will give the better story" IMO, and it's only logical that someone with a strong backround will be more tempted/fit to become an adventurer than your average joe.