PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dragonborn Cleric vs. Fighter/Cleric

Rdothodgson
2017-09-06, 02:05 AM
Hello,

I've got 2 builds I'm trying to decide between for a Dragonborn Cleric. I'm not going for a min/max build, but I still want to have optimal enough stats and abilities to have fun.

The 2 builds I'm deciding between are below and represent stats at level 20. I'm leaning towards the 2nd (starting as a fighter and multiclassing to Cleric for remaining 19 levels) so that I can get to 20 in Wisdom, have a fighting style, and better weapon options. I'm concerned I might regret having 1 more higher level spell slot and auto-pass on divine intervention at Cleric 20, though (although it would mean a Wisdom score of only 18).

Thanks for any guidance you all have!

Level 20 Life Cleric:

Stats:
Strength - 15
Dexterity - 8
Constitution - 16
Wisdom - 18
Intelligence - 10
Charisma - 13

Feats:
- Warcaster
- Resilient (Con)
- Inspiring Leader

Additional Abilities:
- Auto-pass divine intervention at lv 20
- +1 level 7 spell slot

Level 1 Fighter / Level 19 Life Cleric:

Strength - 16
Dexterity - 8
Constitution - 14
Wisdom - 20
Intelligence - 10
Charisma - 14

Feats:
- Warcaster
- Resilient (Wis)
- Inspiring Leader

Additional Abilities:
- Fighting style
- Second wind
- Martial weapon proficiencies

Renduaz
2017-09-06, 02:21 AM
How generous is your DM? If "Divine Intervention" could mean a squad of Solars or some extremely powerful non-official artifacts/effects granted to you when in need, then it might just be a consideration. If it's anything below that, going down to the standard replication of a cleric spell effect, then with the 7 days recharge, it's completely worthless. As for another 7th level spell slot, you actually don't have much as a Life Cleric in the 7th level that would be of any significant use to you twice instead of once, except for maybe Plane Shift, but if you're in a party with another caster, that's already taken care of for everyone. You could do healing spells and the like at the higher slot, but again, it's not enough to be worth it.

I also wonder why you're taking 19 levels of Cleric which you gain nothing from, instead of 18 levels and 2 of Fighter for an Action Surge too or 1 in another class.

JellyPooga
2017-09-06, 04:09 AM
Why does your straight Cleric Build only get 18 in Wis, but your MC build gets 20?

Aymon
2017-09-06, 07:35 AM
Don't think in terms of regretting your 20th level cleric feature. Instead think about how it will feel to be one level delayed at each level... It has far more impact on play and fun. Is ftr1clr2 more fun than clr3. Is ftr1clr4 more fun than clr5? Etc.

That one level delayed can be really painful if you're waiting for a feature or spell...

BoringInfoGuy
2017-09-06, 08:08 PM
Don't think in terms of regretting your 20th level cleric feature. Instead think about how it will feel to be one level delayed at each level... It has far more impact on play and fun. Is ftr1clr2 more fun than clr3. Is ftr1clr4 more fun than clr5? Etc.

That one level delayed can be really painful if you're waiting for a feature or spell...

That is exactly why I never multiclass when playing a cleric. Other classes look tempting, but never compare to getting that next spell level or ASI.

Not to mention that - if you like healing - Life Domain has some sweet toys. Why wait on Disiple of Life, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer, Divine Strike, or Supreme Healing any longer than you need to?

Actually, while thinking about it pushing Life 1 to 2nd level seems like it would lessen the usefulness of those cleric levels.

Preserve Life stands out in this regard. The benefit is tied to your cleric - not total - level. At 2nd level, those 10 HP you can use to bring the party back to 1/2 max HP are a literal party saver. To a 2nd level party. Those same 10 HP to a 3rd level party is much more lackluster.

And of course, going fighter 1 first means 0 divine magic at first level.

Still just my opinion, of course.

Rdothodgson
2017-09-07, 01:15 AM
That is exactly why I never multiclass when playing a cleric. Other classes look tempting, but never compare to getting that next spell level or ASI.

Not to mention that - if you like healing - Life Domain has some sweet toys. Why wait on Disiple of Life, Preserve Life, Blessed Healer, Divine Strike, or Supreme Healing any longer than you need to?

Actually, while thinking about it pushing Life 1 to 2nd level seems like it would lessen the usefulness of those cleric levels.

Preserve Life stands out in this regard. The benefit is tied to your cleric - not total - level. At 2nd level, those 10 HP you can use to bring the party back to 1/2 max HP are a literal party saver. To a 2nd level party. Those same 10 HP to a 3rd level party is much more lackluster.

And of course, going fighter 1 first means 0 divine magic at first level.

Still just my opinion, of course.

Thank you for the advice - I definitely hadn't taken that into consideration. It sounds like multi-classing could lead to a long, unfulfilling grind to level 20 when everything is unlocked, and I'd definitely like to maximize fun along the way.

I'll likely stick with a pure cleric build, and maybe re-distribute some stats/feats to try to get to a 20-WIS score.

Thanks again!

djreynolds
2017-09-07, 01:48 AM
If you are taking resilient con, I see no need for war caster for a pure cleric or fighter/cleric

1. Your shield is your divine focus
2. The only AoO with a spell is like hold person or sacred flame
3. You have proficiency in con, I think war caster in this case is too expensive. Its is a great feat but you are only getting 1/3 of the feat with advantage on concentration checks

I might take the lucky feat instead... its good for saves, hits, and skills

Also for me, the dip in fighter here is possibly for martial weapon proficiency. And I see a 13 in charisma and 16 in strength. So I would grab 2 levels of paladin, you get martial weapon proficiency and the ability to land smites.