PDA

View Full Version : Luck Feat re-do

weckar
2017-09-06, 02:46 AM
So I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in homebrew, but I feel safer here.

So Luck Feats are fun little things in concept. My main issue with them is the pool of luck rerolls. I see that it is a bit of a representation of the idea of 'Luck running out', but it never sat right with me that Luck is a resource to be spent.

Instead, I propose that one can try to activate them at any time - any number of times. But, whether one can activate them or not depends on a coin flip (or larger die roll if this turns out to be too powerful). If it fails, you can also not activate any other Luck Feat that turn.

Would this work in practice, you think? I have yet to playtest the idea, but it feels balanced to me.

martixy
2017-09-06, 05:43 AM
It would work better for some than for others.

The one that lets you reroll 1s becomes potentially very powerful for example. Only potentially, because you can never tell when you'll roll a 1 - it might be 5 times a night, it might be 0.

Me, I'd do it per encounter rather than per day. Might also give away 2 feats per feat slot.

weckar
2017-09-06, 06:18 AM
Ehhhh per encounter abilities are Always iffy. Sometimes it is hard to say where an encounter ends, especially for more skill based uses of the feats.

Venger
2017-09-06, 08:31 AM
if you don't want to run out of luck rerolls, there are ways around it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?224008-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-In-The-Playground-XXVII&p=12366047&highlight=monty+took#post12366047)

weckar
2017-09-06, 08:41 AM
I can't find what you are referring to in that, Venger.

Pleh
2017-09-06, 08:44 AM
So, for your character to be lucky, you yourself have to be a little extra lucky? I know that was always somewhat the case, but I'm scratching my head a bit here.

Messing with luck in story always seemed a tricky subject to me. Luck is the roll of the dice, so mechanically shifting luck into your favor feels anti luck based to me.

When I try to picture what I would like the luck feats to do, I am reminded of the Star Wars Force Point system, where you have a pool of points and spending a point lets you add a d6 to a d20 or damage roll (before or after rolling as long as you choose to do so before results of your roll have been announced) or to auto stabilize when dying. Then you either get your point pool refilled at every level (for a more gritty campaign) or every session (for a more cinematic one).

I feel it gives the player more power to decide when it feels like their character's luckiness ought to weigh in on the situation (without just dismissing the dice), rather than letting the dice dictate everything.

Venger
2017-09-06, 09:17 AM
I can't find what you are referring to in that, Venger.

strongheart halfling hexblade 5/ fatemaker1/ mindbender7/ luckstealer1/ mindbender10/ fatemaker2/ fatespinner2

feats:
1 Skill Focus (Bluff), Lucky Start (+1 Luck Rerolls:1)
3 Unbelievable Luck (+2 Luck Rerolls: 3, +2 Luck bonus to Ref saves)
6 Survivor's Luck (+1 Luck Reroll: 4)
9 Mindsight
12 Dallah Thaun's Luck
15 Make Your Own Luck (+1 Luck Reroll: 5)
18 arcane disciple (luck)

every time you zap someone with curse of the fatespurned, you gain 2 points into your luck pool. for every 3 points from your pool you get, you can use one of your luck rerolls without paying for it. throw on some bands of fortune for good measure.