PDA

View Full Version : Rambling Musings and Queries about Campaign Settings and Organized Play

Dhuraal
2017-09-06, 10:51 AM
Hello all, I come with a few questions, not to stir trolls or fan flames, but simply to sate my curiosity.

Not infrequently on these forums a thread will start or a thread within a thread will start regarding the lack of official setting content for 5e other than the Forgotten Realms. Often, what seems to be the overwhelming opinion is a disdain for the Forgotten Realms and an impatience for material for a new setting to be released. Well, typically not a 'new' setting, but rather a new 5e setting for a different D&D setting that already exists.

Now personally, I have been rather confused by this, and by in large it comes from my own prior experiences playing D&D and other Tabletop RPGs. Specifically, that, while I have played Tabletop RPGs off and on for going on 15 years (primarily D&D), it was not until that past year that I had ever played in a campaign set in an official D&D setting or using a published module. And that only because a new DM wanted to run a published adventure to hopefully simplify things, while he learned. Other than this recent game though, all campaigns I have played in or run have been homebrew. With some cannibalization of names, deities, etc like that of course. And I had never even heard of Living Campaigns or Adventure League until about as recently. Personally I had always thought that this was just the norm. But from what I see from various forums and blogs (including this one), there seem to be a lot more people primarily using officially published material than I would have previously guessed. Do think that the majority of people playing D&D play Adventure League games, or just using official adventure modules? Or is this the 'vocal minority'?

Regarding the desire that exists for a new 5e official setting, if you only play published adventures, well that is fair enough, and I fully understand why you would want new content. But for those of you who do run homebrew and want this new content, what are you hoping/expecting to be in it? By that I mean, there is nothing stopping you from running a homebrew in those settings, and there exists a wealth of lore on various wikis and already published books you could use, so if they were to release a new book for Eberron, Planescape, or any of those other settings, what 5e specific content are you hoping or expecting to be in there for you to use?

I understand the allure of official word on races, classes, and items from particular settings being desired, the Warforged and Artificer from Eberron are the examples that come to mind first. And I fully recognize that Unearthed Arcana is just alpha test content, so that does not count. But is there anything else that you want from this material? If a sourcebook came out that was just a grabbag of miscellaneous content, which included, for example, all of Eberron's or Planescape's unique races, classes, and items, without any lore, story, or world information, would that satisfy your desire for a soucebook for that setting? Or is there something more you want from the settings?

ZorroGames
2017-09-06, 11:00 AM
Well...

Having skipped from AD&D/1st and much OD&D directly to 5e my experience may not be "the norm" but I have no burning passion for Eberron, Dark Sun or any if the other 3.x and 4e settings being bandied about.

Currently playing AL but something more Indian or Ancient Egyptian oriented (or even S. E. Asian) would be my desire.

Unoriginal
2017-09-06, 12:43 PM
Well...

Having skipped from AD&D/1st and much OD&D directly to 5e my experience may not be "the norm" but I have no burning passion for Eberron, Dark Sun or any if the other 3.x and 4e settings being bandied about.

Currently playing AL but something more Indian or Ancient Egyptian oriented (or even S. E. Asian) would be my desire.

Do AL authorizes Planeshift UAs?

ZorroGames
2017-09-06, 01:55 PM

Sorry, I do not understand the question.

ZorroGames
2017-09-06, 01:57 PM

I believe you are asking about UA features in AL play? If so, then I would expect no. Because it is not "PHB+1" at the very least.

proselus
2017-09-06, 02:00 PM
This is coming from my burning desire to see Eberron introduced.
I can indeed homebrew stuff, and I have in fact done so. I have a campaign that almost started in 3.5, and now the players and I have transferred to 5th, but the campaign is ready to go. So I have been going back through everything, and it's exhausting. Raves have to be redone, or copied from the internet. Some classes don't exist, and some ideas don't transfer well. Magic items in particular is a drastic change.
With all these changes that I (or more likely, someone smarter than me on the boards) comes a chance for imbalance, or for a player to not know about something. I have to download random pages or docs and hand them to the player, since I'm using this particular version of the warforged, or only this guy's artificer. And yes, WotC can mess up balance, but the whole board analyzes it, versus just a couple of people.
Long story short, official stuff condenses material into easy to reference, potentially more balanced, and easily used location.

Unoriginal
2017-09-06, 02:14 PM
I believe you are asking about UA features in AL play? If so, then I would expect no. Because it is not "PHB+1" at the very least.

No, I'm talking about the Planeshift setting articles. One of them is Ancient Egypt-themed.

ZorroGames
2017-09-06, 04:19 PM
No, I'm talking about the Planeshift setting articles. One of them is Ancient Egypt-themed.

Have not read those. Link, please?

Unoriginal
2017-09-06, 07:18 PM
Have not read those. Link, please?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-amonkhet-2017-07-05

Technically it's adapting MtG's lore into D&D, but it's based on Ancient Egypt.

bulbaquil
2017-09-06, 07:50 PM
FWIW, I exclusively run homebrew... but in a custom setting. That said, I was able to borrow stats from Plane Shift Zendikar and Plane Shift Amonkhet for two of my campaign setting's non-core playable races (the other PC races are core or in Volo's Guide).

ZorroGames
2017-09-06, 09:10 PM
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-amonkhet-2017-07-05

Technically it's adapting MtG's lore into D&D, but it's based on Ancient Egypt.

"The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events."

Safety Sword
2017-09-07, 01:09 AM
My preference is actually to use the Campaign Setting as a general backdrop for my players to know what to expect.

If you're playing in FR you expect magic. Lots of magic. This is apparently the standard now.

I do like settings such as Dark Sun where the norms are flipped, but again, the setting sets the expectation (as it should!)

I guess having known setting and perhaps big events in those settings happening in the background of my campaigns gives it an angle for me to work from. I just find it easier to have that setting constant expectation there.

I don't participate in organised play (I tried it and it was a poor experience) because I find that the games are rather random in their quality and the reason for the organising is probably to curb that... so sorry I can't add anything to that part of the discussion.

Smitty Wesson
2017-09-07, 01:38 AM
The race and class mechanics are a big part of it. Eberron and Dark Sun both have very popular races associated with them (warforged, shifters, changelings, thri-kreen, muls). They both also have a lot of distinctive monsters that would be great to see in 5e monster guides: living spells, daelkyr, quori, psychic cacti, halfling cannibals. Then there's items: Eberron is huge on magical items, while Dark Sun has traditionally had mechanics for making weaponry unreliable in a way that increases danger. These are things it's nice to have polished crunch for.

Published adventures are also a big thing for these settings, for a different reason: these settings are vastly different in tone from the Forgotten Realms. FR is fine for epic fantasy and solid for heroic fantasy - it's D&D at its default. Some of the other settings allow for more variation on the game's genre by providing different kinds of villains, adventure sites, and hazards. Adding more settings would mean that published adventures can serve a greater variety of stories.

Then there's stuff like Spelljammer, which was a damn good idea that had lousy execution but a lot of fun toys to play with - it'd be nice to see those toys given a second go-around in a new edition.

Then, there's the matter of why published adventures are more of a thing than they used to be.

It's largely down to marketing. Adventure modules are no longer slim volumes with black and white artwork that blur together on the bookshelf; they're now gorgeous hardcovers filled with glorious full color illustrations and accompanied by a big marketing push in miniatures and supplementary material. Individual adventures, as a result, are drawing more eyes. There also seems to be a significant amount of effort into making these adventures satisfying gameplay experiences - even aside from generally positive reviews since Rise of Tiamat at least, the more recent campaigns have had Big Concepts and epic set pieces. 3rd and 4th edition just did not market adventures this well.

Better marketing - which includes drawing the book-buying base toward adventures by releasing less crunch books - has also gotten more people to see the advantages of published adventures. A well-written published adventure does a lot of my DM prep work for me, and it'd be nice if that work could be done for a thoughtful Planescape game or an intrigue-and-espionage filled Eberron game or a brutally horrible Dark Sun game.

CaptainSarathai
2017-09-07, 05:24 PM
No, they don't allow the player options from UA, usually.
I think you also misunderstand that AL actually comprises. It is organized play, where all AL DM's present the same material at the same time. Each "season" they play whatever the current module is. So for instance, AL started with Rise of Tiamat, and then moved on through campaigns like Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss, etc.
Planeshift does not have a dedicated campaign module. Technically, anything using the Planeshift stuff as a setting will be almost entirely Homebrewed content.

The race and class mechanics are a big part of it. Eberron and Dark Sun both have very popular races associated with them (warforged, shifters, changelings, thri-kreen, muls). They both also have a lot of distinctive monsters that would be great to see in 5e monster guides: living spells, daelkyr, quori, psychic cacti, halfling cannibals. Then there's items: Eberron is huge on magical items, while Dark Sun has traditionally had mechanics for making weaponry unreliable in a way that increases danger. These are things it's nice to have polished crunch for.

Agreed - this is a lot of what I want to see; the races, the classes, weapons and armor and so forth. I love "Eberron" but almost never played the actual setting. Rather, I played much more low-magic, traditional Steam or Diesel punk settings, but using the Eberron rules to represent things like the airships and bullet trains, and giving players access to the Warforged race, Artificer class, and so on.