PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Inanimate Object Incorporeality and Ray Spells in Pathfinder

BelligerentGnu
2017-09-06, 11:51 AM
Alright. So my group is currently on one floor of a building. The entire building, and everything in it, is incorporeal - pcs and npcs included. Because of this, we can see that BBEG (who has as-yet undefined teleportation and incorporeal-related abilities) is two floors up.

We have the ability to cast dimensional anchor, but probably not to get a clear-line-of-sight-if-things-were-corporeal before it's too late to be useful.

So, the question is: Lets say that we fire dimensional anchor at BBEG through two layers of floor and at least one of wall. What happens? Does the ray reach its target? What does it effect? Pieces of building, the BBEG? All of the above?

I realize dimension anchor will not affect BBEG's incorporeality; that's not the goal. Also note that we potentially have the ability to force BBEG corporeal if that makes a difference.

Zaq
2017-09-06, 12:06 PM
I don't know if they changed it in PF, but wouldn't you need line of effect to hit the target?

Psyren
2017-09-06, 02:01 PM
Incorporeal things don't block LoE. The bigger problem is that Dimensional Anchor (specifically) can affect objects, so it will stop the moment it encounters one, incorporeal or not. That ray will thus never reach any creatures inside the structure.

BelligerentGnu
2017-09-06, 03:55 PM
Incorporeal things don't block LoE. The bigger problem is that Dimensional Anchor (specifically) can affect objects, so it will stop the moment it encounters one, incorporeal or not. That ray will thus never reach any creatures inside the structure.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Ah well.