PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lizardman Monk - Does Hide stack with Unarmored Defense?

xroads
2017-09-06, 01:20 PM
Does a lizardman's hide feature stack with the monks unarmored defense?

Previously I didn't think so. The PHB says "10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier" for unarmored defense. However in HeroLab, a software that I'm using to create my character, it calculated it as: 13 (hide) + dex modifier + wis modifier (total of 19 in my case).

I don't have access to Volo's guide. Is there a special rule in there for lizardman monks? Or is there some errata somewhere that updates this? Or is this simply an error in HeroLab (I suspect this is the case, but hoping not).

nickl_2000
2017-09-06, 01:27 PM
No it doesn't.

You pick how you calculate your AC. It's either
10+Dex+Wisdom
OR
13+Dex

Naanomi
2017-09-06, 01:35 PM
But you can bite with your monk unarmed damage die ;)

Willie the Duck
2017-09-06, 01:36 PM
Anything that makes your base AC become something does not stack, things that add to your AC stack or add to the becomes (unless there is an exclusion, like picking up a shield and adding it to your monk AC doesn't work because the monk AC's description says so).

mephnick
2017-09-06, 02:33 PM
Even though they don't stack, I heartily recommend it. My Lizardfolk Kensai for an evil campaign is now my new favorite character. Lots of skills, good damage, mobile, very thematic. Uses tribal spears/javelins for melee and ranged kensai attacks, but most of the time I just rapidly bite people. Reads people's heartbeats and body temperatures for his expertise insight checks (skill UA). I refluff the Ki as aggression and basically dash around like some monster in a horror movie if I'm not tracking and stealthing them down first. It's a blast.

xroads
2017-09-06, 04:33 PM
Even though they don't stack, I heartily recommend it. My Lizardfolk Kensai for an evil campaign is now my new favorite character. Lots of skills, good damage, mobile, very thematic. Uses tribal spears/javelins for melee and ranged kensai attacks, but most of the time I just rapidly bite people. Reads people's heartbeats and body temperatures for his expertise insight checks (skill UA). I refluff the Ki as aggression and basically dash around like some monster in a horror movie if I'm not tracking and stealthing them down first. It's a blast.

Lol! I'm planning the same kinda of thing. Except I'm going to have him follow Way of the Shadow. So he pops in and out of shadows like in a horror movie.

Thanks everyone. I had the hunch HeroLab was wrong. But I figured it was worth checking into. A AC of 19 would of been sweet.