PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a Goliath Barbarian

NoAnonimo
2017-09-06, 02:00 PM
So, for a new character I'm planning a Spiked Chain wielding Battle Controller Goliath Barbarian.
I didn't even get the stats yet (we roll the dices), but, so far

It will start at level 6 (5 for Level Adjustment). My idea for building

Race: Goliath (RoS). +4 STR, -2 DEX, +2 CON. Low Light Vision, Powerfull Build

Level 1. Goliath Barbarian Substitution Level 1: Mountain Rage (RoS) let me grow one size category & +2 STR while in rage. Doesn't get fast movement (important note) or illiteracy (by RAW)
Level 2: Barbarian 2 - Wolf Totem ACF (UA) gives me Improved Trip as bonus feat. Doesn't get uncanny dodge.
=Question 1 Here=
Level 4: Fighter 1. +1 Feat
Level 5: Fighter 2. +1 Feat
Level 6: Fist of the Forest? (CC)

So, now to the
Questions
1. Should I buy the level adjustment at ECL3? If so, would I get the 3rd level feat?
2. About PRC, War Hulk seeems a little too much for optimization. Maybe Fist of the Forest? That would lead to some crazy rage effects. Requires 3 feats, one is power attack.
3. Is a Spiked Chain a good weapon for this build? or should I get something else?
4. What magic item do you recommend?

Extra Notes:
The party have plenty of spellcasters (Archivist, Druid & Wizard), need a meat shield

Thank you in Advance!

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-06, 02:31 PM
1) Buyoff is generally a good deal. If you are allowed to buy off in your backstory, definitely go for it. You would have to calculate your starting XP, which is a bit tricky. It would be 3000 XP lower than the rest of the party at ECL 3. Because you get more XP after the buyoff happens, you would get some of that 3000 XP back. My best guess is you would start at 13 000 XP, which is 2000 behind the rest of the party.

2) Fist of the Forest is a good barbarian PrC. I like Champion of Gwynharwyf, too, especially with decent wisdom and charisma. Take a level of warblade or crusader at some point (level 5 is good, level 9 is great).

3) Spiked chains are good. If you want proficiency for free, take one level in exoticist fighter (Dragon #310 variant).

4) Healing belt (750 gold), Heward's handy haversack (2000 gold), travelling cloak (1200 gold). Also a +1 spiked chain (2325 gold), and one +1 reinforced mithral breastplate (5200 gold, reinforced property is in Dragon #358), but that's pricey at this level (13 000 gp wbl).

Elkad
2017-09-06, 02:46 PM
If you can buy off your LA (DM is allowing it), yes, do it.

Instead of being L6, you'll be 2000xp into L5, with no level adjustment.

Spiked Chain costs a feat, but it avoids the donut-hole problem with normal reach+trip weapons where you can't hit people close to you (well, you can knee them with your armor spikes or something). It's generally worth it, unless your build is super feat starved, and it doesn't look that way.

If you are thinking about Fist of the Forest though, you might want to go with a regular reach weapon to trip, and use your unarmed/natural weapons inside that.

NoAnonimo
2017-09-12, 03:41 PM
Thank you for your answers!

So, this is the plan now:

Level.

Class.
Class Features.
Notes.

Goliath Barbarian 1

Mountain rage 1/day
Doesn't gain Illiteracy or Fast Movement.
1st Level Feat:Power Attack

Barbarian 2 (Wolf Totel ACF)
Improved Trip

Warrior 1
Bonus Feat: Impr. Unarmed Strike
Heavy Armor Proficency
3rd Level Feat: Extra Rage?

Warrior 2
Bonus Feat: Great Fortitude
LA Reducement Pay.
Abiliy Bonus +1.

Fist of the Forest 1
AC Bonus*. Fast Movement. Primal Living. Feral Trance 1/day.

Fist of the Forest 2
Uncanny Dodge, Untamed Strike.
6th Level Feat: ?

I will be using a large guisarme with a least crystal of return. 2d6 dmg + quick draw & trip! Another guisarme and a sling for backup. Unarmed Strikes will also deal 2d6 base dmg.

As far as I know, the reach of this unraged barbarian will be 10 ft (even diagonaly), as standar reach weapons. I will be threatening adyacent squares with unarmed strikes/armor spikes.
While raging, my space will increase to 10 ft, and my reach will be 10ft (unarmed strikes) / 20ft (guisarme).

I still have a feat to take, but I can't figure out what to expend it on.

A couple questions, now:

1. What feat should I take next?
2. What PrC Should be I aiming for? (This is a reaaaaly low magic setting)
3. Any armor/weapon enhancement I should get by now? I'm trying to get 5k to buy a forged Belt of Endurance (AEG) (+2 CON, Great Fortitude) so I could retrain my 4th level feat. That will leave another feat slot. I was thinking about law devotion, but don't know if it worth it.

Thank you!