PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Mystic Question

carrdrivesyou
2017-09-06, 02:24 PM
After reviewing v3 of the Mystic, I am left with a few odd questions. I am hoping the Playground can help me sort them out.

1. Clarification on: Components
"Disciplines don’t require the components that many spells require. Using a discipline requires no spoken words, gestures, or materials. The power of psionics comes from the mind."

Does this mean that the Mystic has no visual or audible components, making his activities harder to pin down in a random group of people?

2. If I am sneaking around, and I choose to use Mind Thrust on someone, does that person automatically know I am there? Does it give them some sort of prompt to determine what is wrong?

3. If I am in a room with other people and I use a psychic talent on them (i.e. Mind Thrust), would the person I am attacking know it was me as opposed to any of the rest of the party or NPCs nearby?

Basically, I am curious if a Mystic has the ability to be an assassin of sorts. I am thinking that if I am hiding in the shadows, and I attack someone, would they have any clue it was me, or where the attack came from, etc.?

I know it's still in playtest, but I would imagine that after all the revisions it's had, it will likely be out sometime next year.

Quoxis
2017-09-06, 02:58 PM
1. yes, it's like a free better version of subtle spell
2. doesn't say so, so by RAW: no
3. see 2

I think for that reason and the sheer versatility, mystic is overpowered, but also overcomplicated and shouldn't see the light of day in its current form.

8wGremlin
2017-09-06, 03:01 PM
I like the Druid 2, Mystic X wildshape in to a normal animal type for the environment, and then use mind powers whilst in wildshape.

Assassin rats...
Mind spider...

furby076
2017-09-06, 10:14 PM
1. yes, it's like a free better version of subtle spell
2. doesn't say so, so by RAW: no
3. see 2

I think for that reason and the sheer versatility, mystic is overpowered, but also overcomplicated and shouldn't see the light of day in its current form.

Except you neglect the downsides of the mystic. The biggest one being that after 9th level, there are no new powers. Being stealthy does not make for an op character.

You are correct, however in number 1, 2, and 3. I think there is a couple powers that specify a visible effect happens. Since those call out such effects, others that do not are a no effect.

Quoxis
2017-09-07, 02:54 AM
Except you neglect the downsides of the mystic. The biggest one being that after 9th level, there are no new powers. Being stealthy does not make for an op character.

You are correct, however in number 1, 2, and 3. I think there is a couple powers that specify a visible effect happens. Since those call out such effects, others that do not are a no effect.

As i said, the stealth AND the versatility make it op in my eyes, but i see your point. The lack of new powers is imo ok - every subclass except soul knife gets three of them at level one, each of them with "unlockable" subcategories, and i dare say that this amounts to more effective spells known that a sorcerer gets, just that the mystic gets them much earlier.
Also i think i remember that mystics can concentrate on two different powers at the same time at level 10 or so.

It's incredibly easy for a mystic to step onto other player's toes - the sneaky rogue gets replaced by the shrinking mystic, the tank by various AC or durability enhancers, the face by avatar powers, and mystics even heal better than (non-life) clerics, at least at lower levels.

That (and the fact that one level of mystic gives you a plethora of stuff to do without the downsides of magic, making it absolutely op for multiclassing) is why i think it shouldn't be published in the current state.

furby076
2017-09-10, 11:46 PM
As i said, the stealth AND the versatility make it op in my eyes, but i see your point. The lack of new powers is imo ok - every subclass except soul knife gets three of them at level one, each of them with "unlockable" subcategories, and i dare say that this amounts to more effective spells known that a sorcerer gets, just that the mystic gets them much earlier.
Also i think i remember that mystics can concentrate on two different powers at the same time at level 10 or so.

It's incredibly easy for a mystic to step onto other player's toes - the sneaky rogue gets replaced by the shrinking mystic, the tank by various AC or durability enhancers, the face by avatar powers, and mystics even heal better than (non-life) clerics, at least at lower levels.

That (and the fact that one level of mystic gives you a plethora of stuff to do without the downsides of magic, making it absolutely op for multiclassing) is why i think it shouldn't be published in the current state.

I just dont see stealth and versatility to be OP. Bards are OP (and stealthy) but are not game breaking --- but this is subjective.

The lack of new powers is detrimental, and it's not just the lack of new powers - it's the lack of level 7, 8 or 9 powers. Those spell levels are crazy strong, and the mystic doesn't get them. The concentrate on 2 powers at the same time is a limited ability. You get like 10 power points (goes up to 14) so you can concentrate on 2 abilities at the same time...but you must use those 10 power points (can't use your normal pool). Strong, but limited to 1/day (i'm not sure there are any/many 1 pp concentration powers that are worth it at level 10)

As for stepping on ties - other classes can do this depending on the subclass and build structure. Heck, you can have a stealthy paladin if the paladin takes the right background. Sorcadin steps on a paladin (sorry, 2 levels of paladin does not make you a paladin, just makes you a hack) :)

Level 1 dip is kind of strong, with a bunch of abilities. Mainly the always on abilities. Getting 4 max pp, and being able to use only 2 pp max is not exactly game breaking considering your other class will do way more. It's also more powerful at early levels, but sucks beyond level 4 (to do a 1 level dip).

I am excited for the modifications (good and bad) and for mystic to be published