PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What powers would you recommend for Expanded Knowledge?

thorr-kan
2017-09-06, 04:24 PM
The Expanded Knowledge feat (ExpPsi) lets you add a power to your powers know, from any psionic list with some limitation on how high a level it can be.

What powers would you recommend for Expanded Knowledge?

I would recommend astral construct from the shaper discipline and the Creation mantle.

Aimeryan
2017-09-06, 06:24 PM
If Psychic Reformation isn't available to the class then that is normally my number one choice.

Share Pain is also a very useful power for use with a Psicrystal and Vigor.

Note that for Psychic Warrior the Mantled Warrior ACF is usually more useful than Expanded Knowledge (Freedom mantle, Time mantle, Nature Mantle, etc). Ardents can use the Substitution ACF to make Expanded Knowledge redundant, as well.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-06, 09:25 PM
Psionic Minor Creation. Hustle. Metamorphosis. Expansion (if a non PsyWar gish).

It really depends on what sort of character you've got, what other powers are available and what holes need filled.

J-H
2017-09-06, 09:32 PM
Schism is pretty much mandatory.

Zancloufer
2017-09-06, 09:46 PM
Energy Missile is decent even if it the DM rules that by RAI it should only have +1 DC per 2 PP. Still the cheapest AoE power out there, no chance of friendly fire and 5 targets is more than you would hit 75% of the time with a normal AoE anyway.

Control Body is something that gets overlooked a lot. It's pretty much a level 4 Dominate Person except that in exchange for duration and a targeting Fort saves (which is actually better vs many targets) it works against things that are "not Persons". Or mindless. Or have Mindblank/Protection from X up.

Null Psionics Field can be really nice with Psi/Magic Transparency. Well as nice as AMFs are.

Mass Time Hop. Because making a single target jump forward in time a few seconds wasn't enough. Literally send EVERYTHING forward in time. Or like 10 seconds. Like to tomorrow or something. Not sure how you are suppose to get the 21pp to make it an immediate action though.

Nifft
2017-09-06, 09:52 PM
Lots of good thoughts here so far. One more...

Mindlink, so you can enter Thrallherd.

Sagetim
2017-09-06, 10:28 PM
Touch of Health, if for no other reason than to have an emergency fix it button to deploy. Same goes for most of the life mantle, really.

Fabricate and/or Greater Fabricate, because as a 4th level power (and 6th level power) it's one of the few powers that's better than it's spell version. Well, I can't remember if Greater Fabricate ever actually made it into being a spell though...so there's that. We've already had a recent thread establishing how broken Fabricate can get.

Minor Creation (seconded), because it's a 1st level psionic power instead of being a 4th level spell. I seem to recall a thread some time back, either here or back on the wizards forums about using it to make balsa wood hollow balls and filing them with nasty but natural poisons, so that you could use the power/spell to load yourself up with attack options.

Astral Construct (seconded) because even if you don't get boost construct or any of the rest of it, it can give you a cheap minion that's quite tanky when used in level appropriate fights (the 1st level construct has 18 ac, and you can make it fly). While higher level constructs can get ridiculous options (like fast healing, or shooting energy bolts every round for free).

Genesis, if it's not on your list but you can get powers that high level. Creating your own demiplane is pretty awesome. I can't recall if this got turned into a nomad power, or if it was on the generic psion/wilder list. In any case, you would also need some way to get there (like Astral Caravan, or something)

Psionic Restoration deserves a call out. Not because it's amazing, but because it costs you nothing but power points, while clerics have to drop money for material components on that level of effectiveness.

Temporal Reiteration, depending on your buffs and build and schism and plans. Combo with Temporal Acceleration, and the Metamind's Capstone for unlimited time stop and power points to try and adjust encounters to your whim (then sit them out because you're dazed for as much time as you were accelerated for). Is it a good plan? No. Does it require 10 levels in a meh prestige class? yes. Will you be level 16 before you can even get Temporal Acceleration? yes. But it deserves an honorable mention for shenanigans.

Reddopsi, well, especially if psionics/magic transparency. Bouncing spells back at wizards with the power of your mind seems rather nice.

Metaconcert, if you want to summon captain planet by your powers combined.

Astral Seed seems to have a lot of fans.

Quintessence always seemed like it would be fun to me. Especially if you can get a lot of it into one location. Maybe you could pull it off with some Temporal Reiteration/Acceleration/Schism/Metamind shenanigans. Fabricate the ground under your target into a thin bit of dirt and a bunch of empty space, then fill it with Quintessence so that when time resumes they plunge into being preserved.

Planar Embrace (to get it as a 6th level power instead of 8th)- getting half fiend or half celestial as a template, and gaining the usage of those spell like abilities for a relatively piddling sum of power points sounds like a pretty good trade off. I mean, there are other benefits too.

Aimeryan
2017-09-07, 10:55 AM
I like the mentioned powers in Sagetim's post, however, for one-time-use powers it is often better to just use Psychic Reformation to temporarily grab it, or to use a power stone with UPD if it is not on your class list.

Genesis, for example, is perfect as a Psychic Reformation or power stone use; you only really need to cast it once. Also, it is a level 9 power so outside of Expanded Knowledge's grasp :eek:

Sagetim
2017-09-07, 11:06 AM
I like the mentioned powers in Sagetim's post, however, for one-time-use powers it is often better to just use Psychic Reformation to temporarily grab it, or to use a power stone with UPD if it is not on your class list.

Genesis, for example, is perfect as a Psychic Reformation or power stone use; you only really need to cast it once. Also, it is a level 9 power so outside of Expanded Knowledge's grasp :eek:

Oh, yeah...I guess it is. It's also got an xp cost for some reason. Boo. I kind of miss the 3.0 Genesis, even if the rest of 3.0 psionics was a pile of meh. Then again, an Anti-Genesis wave from the 3.0 power lasted 100d10 years, so it was rather more capable of providing a middle finger to an entire campaign setting, with no xp cost and all that.

thorr-kan
2017-09-20, 11:59 AM
Thanks for everybody's input on this.

I was originally thinking of the wilder's ACF that allows expanded knowledge. Gives me some options if I ever reach a 3.5 game again.

Eldariel
2017-09-20, 12:39 PM
The extra action ones. Schism is a must as mentioned and Temporal Acceleration is incredibly powerful. Synchronity is 100% necessary if allowed (though as a Psion/Wilder power, this is only relevant for Ardents and Psy Wars), and Metamorphosis is just a better Polymorph so that's nigh' obligatory if you lack it and it's allowed.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-20, 08:43 PM
Astral Seed and Mind Switch.

Psyren
2017-09-21, 12:51 AM
*points at Psion handbook in sig*

Blue and purple powers, particularly discipline powers.