PDA

View Full Version : Cleric for Curse of Strahd

KnotaGuru
2017-09-06, 07:18 PM
I'm playing in CoS soon (non-AL) and have my heart set on a vhuman light cleric. The rest of the party is:
•halfelf favored soul sorcerer (the original with domain access [picking war domain])
•vhuman paladin (plans on going devotion and dipping fighter for dual wield)
•vhuman fighter (plans on going monster hunter and GWM)

All UAs are allowed

I haven't played a cleric since 3.5 and I'm excited to give it a go. We rolled for stat and I got 17, 16, 14, 14, 13, 9. I was thinking of taking resilient (CON) as my vhuman feat so my level 1 abilities will be: 9, 14, 18, 14, 18, 13. AC 18, HP 12.
Skills: perception, insight, medicine, religion, investigation.
Cantrips: light, sacred flame, mending, guidance
Prepared spells: bless, pro from good & evil, healing word, detect magic, guiding bolt
Domain spells: burning hands, faerie fire

Future ASIs: pump WIS to 20, then take elemental adapt (fire) or warcaster.

Some future prepared spells/cantrips: ceremony and hand of radiance (from starter spells UA), spiritual weapon, spirit guardians, lesser/greater restoration, revivy

Am I on the right track? Should I switch INT & CHA and/or drop investigation for persuasion? Cantrips and prepared spells okay?

Madfellow
2017-09-06, 07:32 PM
Yeah, this looks like a good build. The lack of Spare the Dying worries me though.

SociopathFriend
2017-09-06, 07:49 PM
Yeah, this looks like a good build. The lack of Spare the Dying worries me though.

Especially playing Strahd.

KnotaGuru
2017-09-06, 09:17 PM

I have proficiency in medicine, so +6. Can give myself guidance for another +1d4. I'll also have herbalism so I can make healing potions if my DM gives me time. Can cast healing word and paladin has lay on hands. Are these enough or you still think spare the dying is needed?

djreynolds
2017-09-07, 03:00 AM
I have proficiency in medicine, so +6. Can give myself guidance for another +1d4. I'll also have herbalism so I can make healing potions if my DM gives me time. Can cast healing word and paladin has lay on hands. Are these enough or you still think spare the dying is needed?

Daylight is an awesome spell

Aid and warding bond are also good if you hang out in the back

This campaign usually goes to level 10, so that's 2 ASI.

IMO elemental adept fire... I might actually grab this at level 4 or 8 instead of maxing out wisdom. There is unfortunately lots of stuff resistant to everything

Also I see a 14 in dexterity, I might be inclined to grab a level of rogue for expertise in perception and investigation and 1 more skill to boot. And an extra 1d6 of SA damage a turn. Grab a crosswbow

I know that it will put you a level behind in your spell progression, but it is something to consider

Chugger
2017-09-07, 04:31 AM

Guys .... ---> Healing Kit <---

Costs 5 gold. Ten charges. No skill to use. Everyone in party should have on on their belt.

If they go to zero, someone else can use it to insta-stabilize them. Just like the cantrip. If you have healer feat it gets even better, but choosing that feat is not for everyone (and I'm not so sure how it scales - it kind of does but maybe not enough).

Anyway, it's in the PHB - look it up. And if I'm getting it wrong please tell me, but I'm pretty sure I've understood it correctly so far (but again if not, pls tell me).

War_lord
2017-09-07, 05:57 AM
Healers kit makes Medicine basically worthless for combat (exploration use depends on DM of course), the advantage of Spare the dying is that it can't run out and it doesn't rely on any equipment.

KnotaGuru
2017-09-07, 10:03 AM
Daylight is an awesome spell

Aid and warding bond are also good if you hang out in the back

This campaign usually goes to level 10, so that's 2 ASI.

IMO elemental adept fire... I might actually grab this at level 4 or 8 instead of maxing out wisdom. There is unfortunately lots of stuff resistant to everything

Also I see a 14 in dexterity, I might be inclined to grab a level of rogue for expertise in perception and investigation and 1 more skill to boot. And an extra 1d6 of SA damage a turn. Grab a crosswbow

I know that it will put you a level behind in your spell progression, but it is something to consider

Daylight is a domain spell, so I'll have that. Warding bond is good but better with a life cleric. Aid could be useful. I might grab elemental adapt earlier then before maxing wisdom. Rogue dip isn't worth it for me. At cleric level 8 I get to add WIS mod to cantrip damage so sacred flame will be dealing 2d8+5 radiant while a light crossbow with sneak attack deals 1d8+1d6+2 and without a magical crossbow is easily resisted. Also can't use a shield with a crossbow, dropping my AC to 16.

EDIT: And good suggestions with the healer's kit, I'll be sure to have one.

Chugger
2017-09-07, 02:45 PM

Hope it's useful to you!

The other poster above points out that having the kit and no cantrip (save the dying or whatever it's called) makes you equipment-reliant, meaning losing that equipment makes you vulnerable. So you have to weigh that possibility with having a cantrip that possibly 99% of the time is replaceable by the kit.

Imho I'd take the kit and other more useful cantrips. Or the fun one, theurgy - do some RP while you kill vampies!

daltonispanda
2017-09-07, 02:57 PM
I just started DMing a CoS campaign and one of my players made a Grave Domain Cleric and LET ME TELL YOU... his Eyes of the Grave is broken in this campaign.

djreynolds
2017-09-08, 01:46 AM
Daylight is a domain spell, so I'll have that. Warding bond is good but better with a life cleric. Aid could be useful. I might grab elemental adapt earlier then before maxing wisdom. Rogue dip isn't worth it for me. At cleric level 8 I get to add WIS mod to cantrip damage so sacred flame will be dealing 2d8+5 radiant while a light crossbow with sneak attack deals 1d8+1d6+2 and without a magical crossbow is easily resisted. Also can't use a shield with a crossbow, dropping my AC to 16.

Spoiler Alert................ cough..................cough

Lots of traps, that's why you are snagging rogue, expertise

Yes grab elemental adept early and have fun with fire

Another reason for rogue is weapon proficiency. Its tough to pass up on magic weapons

And if you do take elemental adept, theoretically, you won't be able to max out wisdom since it goes to level 10. I know you rolled high. And I like resilient con, undead like to target con saves. Make sure you have protection from evil on you or the fighter. DEATH HOUSE SUCKS, it is very rough

Make sure you and the paladin have lesser restoration always available