PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Blast for a Lore Bard 6, Warlock 1, 2 or 3?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-06, 11:24 PM
EB has come up a bit as a good magical secrets choice for a Lore Bard. I was just thinking of how this would work.

So if a Level 6 Lore Bard picks EB does the Bard get 2 EB attacks?

Then if the Bard multi classes in Warlock I guess Hex at Warlock1 stacks on it?

So the Warlock also gets Agonizing Blast at level 2 or 3 which would let me add my Cha modifier to the attacks.

Would my Bard 6, fire two EB attacks each plus my Cha modifier and plus a D6 if I use the Warlock's Hex spell? Plus possibly kicking an opponent back with Repelling Blast?

Thanks in advance for explaining where I've gone wrong.

miburo
2017-09-07, 12:02 AM
EB has come up a bit as a good magical secrets choice for a Lore Bard. I was just thinking of how this would work.

So the Warlock also gets Agonizing Blast at level 2 or 3 which would let me add my Cha modifier to the attacks.

Would my Bard 6, fire two EB attacks each plus my Cha modifier and plus a D6 if I use the Warlock's Hex spell? Plus possibly kicking an opponent back with Repelling Blast?

You've got it right. Eldritch Blast # of attacks is based on character level, so you would get 2 EB attacks at Bard 6. Taking levels of Warlock would then get you Hex for extra damage and Agonizing Blast for +Cha to damage. That said I would agree that it's not worth using your precious magical secret for Eldritch Blast if you plan to take Warlock levels. Instead, you could take something like Fireball for AoE (or whatever else is useful for rounding out the party).

Citan
2017-09-07, 02:50 AM

Hi!
There is nothing to explain really, I think you perfectly understood everything, but just to be sure...
1. Invocations pertaining Eldricht Blast apply to it, whatever way you learned it: from the class, Spell Sniper, Magic Secrets, Magic Initiate.
So, yes, if you want to first learn Eldricht Blast as a Magic Secrets then later take 2 levels in Warlock for the Invocations, it will work.

2. Cantrips damage are (with proficiency) the only thing that scales with character level.
So, yes, at level 6, you get 2 rays.

3. Hex applys "whenever you hit with an attack", so it would apply to Eldricht Blast's rays as well as a Firebolt's ray (also a spell attack IIRC) or a Shocking Grasp (melee attack).

Now, if your DM allows you to swap Magical Secrets, it's safe to pick Eldricht Blast now and swap it later.
If however he doesn't allow it, I'd suggest directly dipping into Warlock somewhere around Bard 7, depending on whether you want 4th level spells first and/or an ASI (8).

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-08, 10:29 PM
EB is crazy cool. If I pick a level of Rogue do I get to add another D6 to it for sneak attack? Or is EB not a ranged attack or finesse weapon?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-09, 08:16 AM
Well thank you for breaking it to me.

Is there anything else a Lore Bard can snipe or grab easily which stacks with EB?