PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with a paladin build

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-06, 11:44 PM
So im enamoured with the concept of a stout halfling knight (a little honorable hobbit)...so over time I thought he would best be represented as an oath of the crown paladin, the question is how should I build him? I am either gonna use breastplate or go all in and use full plate. I also think I'm gonna two hand a longsword as well but I'm unsure of this and unsure of the spells I'm gonna take. I wanna be a buffing knight leader type guy. If anyone has suggestions please yell them at me.

grumbaki
2017-09-07, 01:15 AM
You want Dex20 as a halfling. So...

Lvl 1: Dex 16, Chainmail, Shortsword, Shield
Lvl 4: Medium Armor Master, Halfplate, Shield
Lvl 8: +2 Cha (for saves)

Max out Cha. Then max out Dex. AC20 in your plate. Can stealth without penalty so make the most out of it. Stand before your foes and wave your halfling sized longsword around (ie a shortsword) around.

It's the very image of a noble knight. Only 1/3 the size.

djreynolds
2017-09-07, 01:39 AM
You want Dex20 as a halfling. So...

Lvl 1: Dex 16, Chainmail, Shortsword, Shield
Lvl 4: Medium Armor Master, Halfplate, Shield
Lvl 8: +2 Cha (for saves)

Max out Cha. Then max out Dex. AC20 in your plate. Can stealth without penalty so make the most out of it. Stand before your foes and wave your halfling sized longsword around (ie a shortsword) around.

It's the very image of a noble knight. Only 1/3 the size.

Yeah you should take advantage of your race. You may as well use a short sword or rapier or scimitar.

I would still place a 13 in strength, because you can, its not expensive.

The reason for this is a dex based paladin, if you can get to 11th level is not bad at TWF. You can grab defensive style and dip 1 level of fighter for TWF style (that's why you want the 13 in strength so you can multiclass). Coupled with say OoV hunter's mark you can churn out some really good damage. And a really high acrobatics score or even misty step from OoV will help you evade grapples.

And in this case medium armor master is nice to get.

Good luck

Citan
2017-09-07, 02:53 AM
Hi OP

I agree with both posters above, although for AC you would have another option which would be to stick with light or no armor and instead grab a dip in Draconic Sorcerer or a Magic Initiate: Sorcerer for Mage Armor and Shield.
Both ways you will have AC 18 while keeping one ASI for something else.

Well, it would in fact amount to effectively trading the lvl 19 ASI for a full level in Sorcerer, I don't think it would be a bad trade though. As long as you like the related thematics. ;)