PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Barbarian Kobold or Goblin?

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2017-09-07, 12:05 AM
My group is starting a new campaign, & I'm thinking of rolling a barb. Likely straight barb or a dip into fighter.

The but I am stumped between Kobold or Goblin.

I was originally thinking dex barbarian, with a long bow, sword (or pick or axe) & board when things ended up in melee.

With Pack tactics a Kobold could use a great axe, and I know we're going to have @ least one other melee Player. This makes Str somewhat more important, as kobolds have the str penalty, however being able to use large weapons helps with that.

Goblins however get disengage or hide as a bonus action, however due to size are limited to smaller weapons, thus making a dex barbarian even more temping.

The obvious choice would be to shut up and go bugabear, but I've always had a soft spot for Kobolds, and I think it interesting that goblins could actually be a valid choice for a player race.

Looking for build suggestions, thoughts on pros & cons.

FreddyNoNose
2017-09-07, 12:09 AM
How about gnoll?

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2017-09-07, 12:20 AM
How about gnoll?

ewww

Also, where would you find stats?

FreddyNoNose
2017-09-07, 12:38 AM
ewww

Also, where would you find stats?

I don't play 5e, but I thought there was a gnoll playable option that I heard about. Something like +2 strength + 1 dex.

AttilatheYeon
2017-09-07, 12:42 AM
No gnolls. I'd go goblin.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2017-09-07, 12:45 AM
I don't play 5e, but I thought there was a gnoll playable option that I heard about. Something like +2 strength + 1 dex.

Dunno about them. Those are the bugbear stats. also an extra 2d6 of damage if catch them flat footed the first round.

No gnolls. I'd go goblin.

Why?

polymphus
2017-09-07, 12:46 AM
Goblin, absolutely. The -2 Str for a kobold would be crippling for a Barb -- you are the strength class and kobold is the only race in the game with a strength penalty.

Goblin barb wouldn't be ***OPTIMISED*** but it's definitely workable.

polymphus
2017-09-07, 12:50 AM
Plus, the kobold's selling point (easy access to advantage) is worthless when you have Reckless Attack.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2017-09-07, 12:55 AM
Plus, the kobold's selling point (easy access to advantage) is worthless when you have Reckless Attack.

Not completely, as Reckless Attack causes disadvantage to incoming attacks. Never the less a consideration.

polymphus
2017-09-07, 01:13 AM
Not completely, as Reckless Attack causes disadvantage to incoming attacks. Never the less a consideration.
It does, but you're a barbarian -- you're meant to get hit. You tank it with your hitpoints, because it's mantastic.

Jokes aside, a Goblin Barbarian is genuinely pretty intriguing, the more I think about it. Barbs don't use Bonus Actions much, so you'd get a lot out of Nimble Escape, and Dex is still pretty useful: AC, common save type etc etc etc. You won't be running a greataxe (since you're small) but that's not the only way to barb.

Kobold barbarian is so useless, it's kinda letting the party down. I'm a fan of trying to make suboptimal builds work, but there's difficult and there's putting your head in a bear trap. Goblin barbarian would be hard to make work, but could be a fun and interesting change of pace.

nickl_2000
2017-09-07, 06:47 AM
Goblin Barbarian certainly sounds better in the long run. Although I still like the idea of the Kobold using their grovel technique to try and get something from the enemies, and then when it's not given them they rage and kill them all.

Ravinsild
2017-09-07, 09:36 AM

For Gnolls you can find them in my signature.

As for the OP: Go Goblin. Mostly because they're cute, but also because they have actually good stats and racial abilities. Don't Kobolds have sunlight sensitivity?

Easy_Lee
2017-09-07, 10:20 AM
Goblins are more barbarous than kobolds. This is a race known for raiding, pillaging, and rigging crude settlements, tools, and weapons. A goblin can light himself on fire and shoot himself out of a catapult without breaking immersion.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-07, 06:11 PM
Reckless Attack causes disadvantage to incoming attacks

That's my favorite part about it. It practically screams "Swing at Me!" to your enemies. Which is good since you want them to ignore the guy in the robe dropping fire and lightning on them.

8wGremlin
2017-09-07, 07:39 PM
I'm really enjoying a goblin rogue 1/ arcana cleric 1 with booming blade as one of the spells

Jump in, booming blade, disengage, move back.

AttilatheYeon
2017-09-07, 11:39 PM
Dunno about them. Those are the bugbear stats. also an extra 2d6 of damage if catch them flat footed the first round.

Why?

Pretty much what everyone else said. Goblins racial abilities pair well with barbarians, either tanking or DPR. With Reckless attack, you can go with greataxe and not have disadvantage. Use your goblin racial to get out of melee so you dont take as many hits.

Besides, how adorable would a raging, reckless attacking goblin with a great axe be? 😉

JBPuffin
2017-09-08, 01:14 AM
Only problem is, of course, you have to attack with Strength to use Rage, so if you mean Dex over Con, then sure, but you have to have Strength as a barb. Kobold's penalty (ugh, why did they bring this idea back) just ruins the potential.

Kane0
2017-09-08, 02:08 AM
Goblin, because Fury of the Small.

Joe the Rat
2017-09-08, 09:58 AM
Only problem is, of course, you have to attack with Strength to use Rage, so if you mean Dex over Con, then sure, but you have to have Strength as a barb. Kobold's penalty (ugh, why did they bring this idea back) just ruins the potential.Rage has no attack stat requirement, just that you have to attack (or get hit) to maintain it.

Now, going dex (or something really loony like shillelagh) means you lose out on the str damage bonus. Reckless Attack requires strength.
(Something I've looked at is having strength a pip behind, meaning that I have a solid Dex attack, or can hack wild (Reckless), with a better damage if I'm raging.)

As much as I love Kobolds, Goblin would be a better for this, barring a comedy game. Fight with two shortswords (so you can swap Dex or Str to attack as needed) or handaxes (if you aim strength - melee and missile!), and carry a huge axe or maul for those (potentially hilarious) raging reckless attack moments.

JBPuffin
2017-09-08, 10:03 AM
Rage has no attack stat requirement, just that you have to attack (or get hit) to maintain it.

Now, going dex (or something really loony like shillelagh) means you lose out on the str damage bonus. Reckless Attack requires strength.
(Something I've looked at is having strength a pip behind, meaning that I have a solid Dex attack, or can hack wild (Reckless), with a better damage if I'm raging.)

As much as I love Kobolds, Goblin would be a better for this, barring a comedy game. Fight with two shortswords (so you can swap Dex or Str to attack as needed) or handaxes (if you aim strength - melee and missile!), and carry a huge axe or maul for those (potentially hilarious) raging reckless attack moments.

Yeah, you're right; it's not a bad idea to go Dex first, Str second, Con third, and have the option of lesser ranged damage vs less accurate but higher melee damage...I'm sold, I guess. Good plan, Joe.