PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k Eldar 5e conversion

Nykolo
2017-09-07, 02:04 AM
I really like Warhammer 40k, but I also love D&D. So i decided to incorporate 40k into d&d 5e. I tried using the D6 System by WEG to keep the spirit of 40k, but that didn't go too well, so I decided to stick with D&D 5e for now.

This is just a rough version to show off my idea of how the Eldar could be incorporated into 5e D&D. I am still deciding how I would incorporate the Eldar Paths into the game.

Also, what are your thoughts on race-specific classes? Since Warhammer has a whole host of races with their own way of fighting. For instance, could I make the Aspect Warriors their own class and only Eldar are allowed access to it? Or would that go against the idea of 5e?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry7QQgeCFZ

JNAProductions
2017-09-07, 10:32 PM
Dark Eldar. Consume Soul. Bag of rats.

Otherwise good.

Nykolo
2017-09-07, 10:51 PM
Dark Eldar. Consume Soul. Bag of rats.

I pretty much just copied and pasted the vampire's Blood Thirst ability from Plane Shift Zendikar and fixed it up a bit.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, aren't you both dealing necrotic damage and decreasing their max hp? What if I drop the ability to only usable during a short or long rest?

miburo
2017-09-08, 07:00 PM
Hey Nykolo! Big fan of WH40k so this is pretty cool to see. Here are my thoughts:

- From an Alignment perspective, Craftworld Eldar are definitely Lawful so that works. Not so sure about Dark Eldar though. They seem more Neutral Evil, but I could be wrong.
- Ancient Doom is a bit odd. Slaaneeshi creatures is a very limited subset which doesn't actually exist in D&D as of now, so it's a benefit of questionable utility. Also I don't think in 40k Eldar get bonuses against daemons. It might be better to remove this and replace with some other benefit.
- One thought--Eldar are supposed to have much faster reaction times than humans. One possibility is to to remove Ancient Doom, and replace with an ability that gives a bonus to initiative (half your proficiency bonus maybe?). Might need to kill the speed bonus in order to compensate for the increased utility (I believe Eldar have roughly the same speed as humans, but I could be wrong).
- Dark Eldar ability is a bit screwy. I'm not sure they usually have better darkvision than other Eldar in 40k but that's ok. Consume Soul as written in Plane Shift Zendikar is too powerful ("bag of rats" abuse as JNAProductions mentioned), but making it once per short rest is probably too weak. However, one of the things Dark Eldar are known for is feeding off of opponents' pain and terror (hence the "Pain Tokens" you can get in 40k game). Maybe you can build an ability that gives Dark Eldar a temporary boost when they hurt or kill enemy opponents in battle. In order to get around bag of rats, you could make it give you temp hp instead of regaining real hit points (since temp hp doesn't stack).

Hope that helps!

Nykolo
2017-09-09, 04:40 PM
- Ancient Doom is a bit odd. Slaaneeshi creatures is a very limited subset which doesn't actually exist in D&D as of now, so it's a benefit of questionable utility. Also I don't think in 40k Eldar get bonuses against daemons. It might be better to remove this and replace with some other benefit.
- One thought--Eldar are supposed to have much faster reaction times than humans. One possibility is to to remove Ancient Doom, and replace with an ability that gives a bonus to initiative (half your proficiency bonus maybe?). Might need to kill the speed bonus in order to compensate for the increased utility (I believe Eldar have roughly the same speed as humans, but I could be wrong).
I was actually planning on making monsters based on the creatures in 40k, such as the daemons and tyranids. Though, I do see what you mean. A bonus to Initiative can be a good replacement. I was mostly going by the lore of the game, because the system that 40k uses would most likely not convert well into d&d's d20 system.

- Dark Eldar ability is a bit screwy. I'm not sure they usually have better darkvision than other Eldar in 40k but that's ok. Consume Soul as written in Plane Shift Zendikar is too powerful ("bag of rats" abuse as JNAProductions mentioned), but making it once per short rest is probably too weak. However, one of the things Dark Eldar are known for is feeding off of opponents' pain and terror (hence the "Pain Tokens" you can get in 40k game). Maybe you can build an ability that gives Dark Eldar a temporary boost when they hurt or kill enemy opponents in battle. In order to get around bag of rats, you could make it give you temp hp instead of regaining real hit points (since temp hp doesn't stack).
I mostly gave them better Darkvision because I was mostly going by the lore. They are said to have better senses than Eldar, and able to see in almost complete darkness, like the drow.
Temporary boost. Like the Fiend Warlock's Dark One's Blessing? That might work better.

Okay. I made the changes you recommended. What do you think so far?