PDA

View Full Version : Death Curse

Chugger
2017-09-07, 03:49 AM
At the local AL game we started new lvl 1 chars for the "death curse" whatever it is new thing. The others were kind of excited about it and running the data past me faster than I could absorb it entirely. Something about if you die actual death (not at zero but dead) you can't get a faction raise or have a player cast raise dead on you or pay an NPC to raise you from the dead. Because. Curse.

So if you die die you're in some sort of limbo and have to play a surrogate until ... er ... some event happens and you're free from the curse.

Yeah. Well, the starting module was okay. Fun. Had a dinosaur race. And I guess moon druids now can have a place to see various types of dinos so they can wild form them - I suppose. All we saw were little ones so far (I figure bigger ones are coming).

And no one died death death. We took healing a bit more seriously I guess.

I'm not quite sure what the point to the surrogate is because - well, I'm lost. I guess I need to find the rules on line. But this whole surrogate thing seems like such a colossal and bizarre pain that I might just stop playing until it's over with. I'm not quite sure why I should go in playing a character I'm going to lose for any amount of time, especially if that becomes many weeks. I guess I can start over with some other new character if nec - I guess there is some attraction for some players in that there is a significant death penalty now.

Have any of you experienced this? How do you like it? Am I missing something?

If there's a link where this is already being discussed I didn't see it. I scanned in a bit but didn't see. If you got or know of a link on this pls link it here. Thanks.

Vogie
2017-09-07, 08:04 AM
I haven't run into that specifically, but I do know that in Call of Cthulhu, that's par for the course - if you die, or go insane, you just give your character sheet over to the DM and create someone new, to be added the next-go-round. Whether or not you run into your former PCs is at the DM Discretion... and those former PCs may join the party as NPCs later on, and if the "surrogate" or new character dies/leaves the story, you may get the old one back... or not.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-07, 08:49 AM
Here is the link to the WotC article with the primer(which contains some rules and whatnot), as well as the T1 and T2 surrogates, with their log sheet.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/tomb-annihilation

edit: forgot the link

Chugger
2017-09-07, 03:23 PM
Thanks. I guess I was just getting used to AL, and then they threw this at us! Next week we get to continue it. The new world (chult? someone needs to work on fantasy names, phlan, now chult - weird sounding places) is pretty cool - er hot. It's a jungle filled with dinosaurs and new races.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-08, 05:56 AM
Thanks. I guess I was just getting used to AL, and then they threw this at us! Next week we get to continue it. The new world (chult? someone needs to work on fantasy names, phlan, now chult - weird sounding places) is pretty cool - er hot. It's a jungle filled with dinosaurs and new races.

I like to think of Chult as the Florida of Faerun.

Chugger
2017-09-08, 06:59 PM
Some of the stuff is sinking in now.

You can go "meatgrinder" for +10% exp and gold. But you have to roll a 15 or higher on death checks to pass. And once you pick meatgrinder, you can't rescind.

There is also rolling to see if your "in limbo" (dead) character has his or her soul eaten (and is gone).

Yikes!

I guess the lvl 1 new-season people don't really care if they die-die. It's just a lvl 1. I haven't seen much paranoia yet. Haven't been able to tell if the new modules are "harder" or if they are written kind of to try to kill off (with actual death) more characters.

I think some people are playing recklessly w/ lvl 1 and lvl 2 chars so they can try out a surrogate (Grun or w/e frog man rogue!). You can find this race over on the AL site and download the surrogates - it's the rogue.

You can't play this race unless as a surrogate. It can jump an insane distance - standing still. And it has poison skill, so if you go grappling you can poison other creatures. And it can free-action wipe an arrow on its own skin (poison dart frog) before shooting it - and do something like 2d4 more damage from poi. They're immune to poison and have a climb speed. And from what I saw the surrogate doesn't speak common - which is kind of funny - but speaks thieves cant - and I guess could communicate w/ other rogues in the party? Something like that.

Chugger
2017-09-08, 07:05 PM
I can't yet tell if Grung will become an actual playable race.

I was told the only way to play one now is as a surrogate, and it's exp and items will swap over if your dead char survives soul eater rolls.

And when this season ends in a few months you can't play the surrogate any more.

So, you could spend many weeks playing a very cool grung with the hope that your dead-in-limbo char will get exp and be "caught up" when the grung goes poof, but deep in the DM rolls a 1 on souleater and your char in limbo goes poof forever - and then the grung goes - and then all that exp and magic item goes away. So it could really really suck. Oh the drama. Someone please pass the popcorn.

Gryndle
2017-09-09, 07:18 AM
I don't play AL, but I cant wait for the Tomb of Annihilation book to come out. It is the first of these that I am actually excited about. I always thought raise dead/rez was too easy and way too common in D&D especially Forgotten Realms.
One of the other guys in my group is going to DM so I can just play through.

Chugger
2017-09-09, 06:03 PM
I don't play AL, but I cant wait for the Tomb of Annihilation book to come out. It is the first of these that I am actually excited about. I always thought raise dead/rez was too easy and way too common in D&D especially Forgotten Realms.
One of the other guys in my group is going to DM so I can just play through.

Nice. So far lots of rumors about what will be permanent for AL (i.e. in the book), but so far it's a cool (er hot) new continent. Different jungle feel to it. Might come up with a Sage background character who wears leather armor and uses a hand xbow, as is being discussed in another thread on this forum! Hah, Alabama Smith ... Wyoming Brown ... hm....