PDA

View Full Version : Player Help LVL20 1 shot. what to play!?!

Azgeroth
2017-09-07, 04:28 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

so recently one of my group has asked us to join a 1 shot, to playtest one of his friends settings at high levels.

so, level 20, UA allowed, 1 extra feat, 1 very rare item, 2 rare items, 3 uncommon, AND 21500gp (mainly for background stuff, castles, forts, businesses etc)

i'm thinking of playying some kind of gish.. first thoughts are a valor bard, for full spell casting goodness, i could take smite and some other goodies under magical secrets, or quick quiver for ranged.... or do i just go straight pally??? AAARGH SO MANY DECISIONS!!! HELP!!!

so, the valor bard,

half elf, urchin, stats as below

15+1
13+1
14+2

2 ASI's takes cha to 20, leaves me 3 more, and a feat, or 4 feats.

i could take a belt of strength to up my str and make melee viable. (or a sentient shield, to up my AC whilst still 2H)

feats im thinking of.

melee,
Medium Armor master
GWM
Combat casting
Durable

ALTERNATE MELEE (dex based) (drop the belt, take half plate +2, AC 24 with shield)

Medium Armor Master
Combat Casting
Durable
Shield Master

Ranged,
SS
Combat Casting
Lucky

i'm leaning much more towards the melee side, having 5 d12 insp. dice (Atk, Save, Skill, Dmg, AC) aswell as full casting, 2 attacks + a spell, with shield master, gives me some of BM fighter, some of pala, bit of rogue, and still have full spell casting..

thoughts???

Citan
2017-09-07, 05:02 AM
Hi!

Seriously?

I'd take the chance to play either one of those classes which capstones are great (Barbarian, Druid, Paladin, Monk)...

Or use the chance to play a crazy multiclass build, using Normal Human or the like to get all the required stats and picking stats-improving items to get by...
- Like Bear Barbarian 5 / Thief Rogue 11 / Bladesinger 3 / Monk 1 with Belt of Giant and Headband of Intellect for an extremely crazy grappler/smasher...
- Or the good old Paladin 6 / Monk 14 (pump CON and CHA, make WIS/STR/DEX just enough for multiclass, pick Belt of Giant STR again) for extreme resilience (proficiency + CHA as a bonus to all saves).

Or an extremely overpowered UA build (note that Mystic is probably great but never took the time to really read it through).
Feel free to read the "Perfect 18" thread (many lvl 20 suggestions) or "Highest consistent DPR" (don't remember the exact name) which probably also focus on end builds. :)

Or, if you are just afraid of being overwhelmed by choices, strain yourself to decide on 3 choices (1 single-class, 1 dual-class, 1 crazy build) and roll 1d4 (on 1, reroll). XD

Azgeroth
2017-09-07, 05:10 AM
he hasn't confirmed if multi is allowed yet.. as it was specifically worded as a capstone test..

pala OoA capstone seems really good, some of the others(pala) a bit lacking, i know straight barb would be awesome, but i tend towards more utility/support rolls than heavy hitters.

i thought in that respect bard would give me the better options, as in, a LOT of options.

ill go read those threads you mentioned and revisit :D

Thanks!

hymer
2017-09-07, 07:20 AM
Citan lightly touches on the druid. Moon druid 20 is pretty gishy, and can take damage like nobody's business. Ignoring components is just icing on the cake.
Truth be told, it may in fact be too powerful. But then, it's just a one-shot.

Spiritchaser
2017-09-07, 08:10 AM
Single class: Myself I'd go moon Druid, because that capstone is wild

For multi class, I'd go monkadin with a belt of giant strength both for power and for reduced MADness. Maybe snag that magic resistance cloak for total insanity. Argue that proficiency and +cha to saves IS your capstone. Yuan Ti for more resistance to magic without the cloak, or half elf with eleven accuracy if you go vengeance. Edit, though actually almost anything could work ok with that belt, so pick something that can see in the dark and go with it

Alternatively barb 2 or 3 hexblade bladelock 17 or 18 or Fighter 1 hexblade 19 (the fighter gets an extra ASI and is less MAD. The barb gets some fun synergy with rage + AoA and other barb things, plus can be stealthy without blowing a magic item slot on slink compatible armour). Go giant strength belt again to cut down madness. I'd play some manner of elf or half elf and take eleven accuracy and use foresight then take GWM. You end up with death incarnate.

EvilAnagram
2017-09-07, 08:13 AM
I would probably go Ancients Paladin. That capstone is just so tasty, and there's just so much equipment that will compliment the abilities you would already have.

Aaron Underhand
2017-09-07, 10:01 AM
.... Yuan Ti for more resistance to magic....

I would probably go Ancients Paladin. That capstone is just so tasty, and there's just so much equipment that will compliment the abilities you would already have.

Yuan Ti Paladin for the win. Advantage on saves vs magic, and + cha to all saves). Dex Paladin with strength item...

Easy_Lee
2017-09-07, 10:05 AM
How can we pick a character without knowing anything about the campaign, setting, or what the other players are likely to play?

Spiritchaser
2017-09-07, 10:36 AM
Yuan Ti Paladin for the win. Advantage on saves vs magic, and + cha to all saves). Dex Paladin with strength item...

This would be pretty cool, too bad it would be tough to get this stealthy as well.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-07, 11:26 AM
I'd probably go for one of these if multiclassing is not allowed:

Mystic (any of them but probably nomad or soul knife)
Conquest Paladin
Hexblade (Bow style.)
Arcane Archer Fighter
Storm Herald Barbarian
Zealot Barbarian
Long Death Monk
Sun Soul Monk
Monster Slayer Ranger
Moon Druid
Harvest Druid
Death Cleric
Deep Stalker Ranger
Shadow Monk
Treachery Paladin
Oathbreaker Paladin
Some Sort of Wizard (Necro/Conjure/Transmute)

Mostly in that order.

Vorpalchicken
2017-09-07, 02:20 PM
Ooh half orc valor bard!
Paralyze enemies with a spell and follow up with a vicious critical hit in the same round! You could even take a (normally lackluster) vicious weapon.
You could still tank your strength to 10 and use a giant strength belt (the hidden shame!)

Hmmm I guess a sorcerer with quickened hold and booming blade would be better at this trick.

nmitchell2
2017-09-08, 01:06 PM
Gish is a spectrum, at one end you have melee with a bit of magic tacked on and at the other you have magic with a bit of melee tacked on. I will present to you three multiclass gish builds at different parts of the spectrum; one at each end and one in the middle.

If you're more interested in the melee end of the gish spectrum, I might tempt you with three levels of Bear Totem Barbarian on a Bladelock, specifically Fiend. You can't cast or concentrate on spells while you Rage, but spells with a duration remain in effect. That includes Armour of Agathys, Mirror Image, Fire Shield, even Foresight. Rage halves the amount of damage you take but doesn't affect the amount of recoil damage they take from Armour of Agathys or Fire Shield. Pick one of Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master and build around it. The key to using this build well is knowing when to use your limited resources, you still have Agonising Blast for when you don't want to Rage. For maximum effectiveness, pick up a Belt of Giants Strength and invest in CON and CHA.

If you're more interested in the magic end of the gish spectrum, I might tempt you with two levels of Warlock on a Valour Bard, specifically Hexblade. You can now attack and cast with your CHA, making you almost completely SAD. You want 14 Dex for AC in medium armour and that's it. You have Agonising Blast for ranged DPR and Armour of Agathys for close encounters, along with full Bard spellcasting progression and 6 spells from Magical Secrets. Jack of All Trades applies to Counterspell checks, making you a somewhat anti-mage gish and gives you reason to get in close against other spellcasters.

If you want a balance, I might tempt you with eight levels of Oathbreaker Paladin on a Draconic Sorcerer, specifically Red. Paladin is already a great tank with a high burst damage potential, add in Sorcerer spells and Metamagic off the same casting stat and you have a real monster. Careful Spell allows you to cast AoE control spells without screwing yourself or your allies over and you have War Caster + Aura of Protection to ensure you keep concentration. Quickened Spell + Elemental Affinity keeps your DPR competitive using Green Flame Blade, add in Divine Smite and you have an extremely high damage ceiling. The aforementioned War Caster + Booming Blade makes you sticky even if you're concentrating on a buff spell like Haste or Blur. Benefits more from CHA investment than STR but if you pick up a Belt of Giants Strength you can have both.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-08, 01:12 PM
I'd have to go with Moon Druid just for the mad fun of turning into so many different beasts during the course of a fight. (Plus, Moon Druids still have some neato spells, so why not? ) My second choice would be either a Half Elf Ancients Paladin, or a Human Champion.

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-08, 01:28 PM
Play something vanilla like a Champion Fighter, a Thief Rogue, or the original Beast Master Ranger, just so you can show the other people at your table that these things aren't anywhere near as bad as most of them think.

grumbaki
2017-09-08, 02:20 PM
so, level 20, UA allowed, 1 extra feat, 1 very rare item, 2 rare items, 3 uncommon, AND 21500gp (mainly for background stuff, castles, forts, businesses etc)

Lvl 20 Half Elf Barbarian
* Variant (High Elf) for the cantrip
Free Feat: Elven Accuracy (Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20. Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll, you can re-roll one of the dice once.)

Lvl 1 Stats: Str (15+1) Dex (13+1) Con (14+1) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (12+2)
Lvl 4: Great Weapon Master
Lvl 6: Str (18) Dex (14) Con (15) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)
Lvl 8: Str (20) Dex (14) Con (15) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)
Lvl 12-Durable: Str (20) Dex (14) Con (16) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)
Lvl 16: Str (20) Dex (14) Con (18) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)
Lvl 19: Str (20) Dex (14) Con (20) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)
Lvl 20: Str (24) Dex (14) Con (24) Int (8) Wis (10) Cha (14)

* Defenses:
- Unlimited Rage with bear totem. Resistance to everything but psychic all the time.
- Unarmored defense for AC20
* Offense:
- Reckless attack with elven accuracy. Advantage on every attack, with a re-roll
- Great weapon master. -5 to hit? Doesn't matter much with your Str24 and re-roll. +12 damage (with rage)? Yes, please.
* Cantrip:
- Pick something fun. Like Acid Splash. This gives you a ranged attack that forces a dex save, or up to 2 enemies take 4d6 damage.
* Other:
- Cha 14 with intimidate. You can scare people.
- Cha 14...you might as well use your background to pick up deception and diplomacy as well. Make the most of your good stats.
- Str 24 Athletics means that you are...well, a lvl20 barbarian.

Basically, you end up with this guy:

d6yvjbq.jpghttps://img02.deviantart.net/abe1/i/2013/356/f/0/wood_elf_by_jerseyrob-d6yvjbq.jpg

Spiritchaser
2017-09-11, 10:06 AM
If I were doing the barb, I'd seriously consider still going belt of fire giant strength... dump strength and take Dex and wis. I'd go wood elf and also take resilient wis.

You'd end up with AC 21 based on dex 18 con 24, and you'd have solid saves all around with resilient wisdom at 16.

I'd also try my luck at having the DM institute an Avariel race.. yeah I know but it can't hurt to ask