PDA

View Full Version : spell list by element (needs a few holes filled)

foobar1969
2017-09-07, 08:32 AM
I was pondering an Elemental Wizard tradition, and discovered it needs a few more spells for parity. (Edit: all covered now)

Level
Multi
Air
Fire
Earth
Water

Elemental Attunement
Gust
Shocking Grasp
Thunderclap
Control Flames
Create Bonfire
Fire Bolt
Light
Produce Flame
Magic Stone
Mold Earth
Acid Splash
Frostbite
Ray of Frost
Shape Water

Absorb Elements
Chromatic Orb
Feather Fall
Fog Cloud
Jump
Unseen Servant
Burning Hands
Faerie Fire
Earth Tremor
Grease
Thunderwave
Armor of Agathys
Create or Destroy Water
Ice Knife

-
Dust Devil
Gust of Wind
Invisibility
Levitate
Skywrite
Warding Wind

Aganazzar's Scorcher
Continual Flame
Flame Blade
Flaming Sphere
Pyrotechnics
Scorching Ray
Earthbind
Earthen Grasp
Shatter
Spider Climb
Melf's Acid Arrow
(Sleet Storm, modified)
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

Elemental Weapon
Protection from Energy
Call Lightning
Fly
Gaseous Form
Lightning Bolt
Stinking Cloud
Wind Wall

Daylight
Fireball
Flame Arrows
Melf's Minute Meteors
Erupting Earth
Meld Into Stone
Wall of Sand
Tidal Wave
Wall of Water
Water Breathing
Water Walk

Conjure Minor Elemental
Elemental Bane
Greater Invisibility
Storm Sphere

Fire Shield
Wall of Fire
Fabricate
Stone Shape
Stoneskin
Blight
Control Water
Ice Storm
Vitriolic Sphere
Watery Sphere

Conjure Elemental
Cloudkill
Control Winds

Flame Strike
Immolation
Passwall
Transmute Rock
Wall of Stone
Cone of Cold
Maelstrom

Primordial Ward
Chain Lightning
Investiture of Wind
Wind Walk
Investiture of Flame
Sunbeam
Bones of the Earth
Disintegrate
Flesh to Stone
Investiture of Stone
Move Earth
Investiture of Ice
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Wall of Ice

(Prismatic Spray)
Reverse Gravity
Whirlwind
Delayed Blast Fireball
Fire Storm
(Lava, new)
(Acid Fog, new)

-
Control Weather
Incendiary Cloud
Sunburst
Earthquake
Horrid Wilting
Tsunami

(Prismatic Wall)
Storm of Vengeance
Meteor Swarm
Imprisonment
(Storm of Vengeance)

Suggestions?

Joe the Rat
2017-09-07, 09:05 AM
How do you feel about multiple listings - a spell that aligns with more than one element? Reverse Gravity, for instance, could be seen as Earth (it's pushing you away) as well as / instead of Air (where you end up). I typically shrug and split the difference on Thunder - half the time it's Air, half the time Earth. Likewise, you can probably fudge some of the storm spells to Air/Water, as needed. Blight (dessication) could be shifted to / added to Air (thematic) or Fire (oppositional) if you need to redistribute.

The intent here appears to be a very element-focused approach. Do you want to avoid associations altogether (invisibility being an air trait and such)? An idea that sits right on the edge is assigning resilient sphere to Air 4. Effect removals (remove X) could be added to water, "washing away" effects.

Prismatic Spray would be a Most Excellent 7th level Multi - 5 of 7 effects fall into your set of elemental assignments - and Poison could be attached to Earth (since Acid went to Water). If the Banishment result sent them to an Elemental Plane, you've got the whole spectrum covered. You could use the other Prismatics as well.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-07, 09:14 AM
Are you open to homebrew? I've written several elemental spells, mostly in Mage Hand Press' Waste and Tundra Updates and Shugenja base class. None of those books are available for free, but I can probably reproduce some of the spells here.

Although... several of them were approximate replacements for WotC spells that are copyright protected. So they won't all necessarily fill holes in your table.

foobar1969
2017-09-07, 10:08 AM
Joe, good points. Yes, Reverse Gravity also could be viewed as an earth spell, in the same way that Blight is a water spell.

I was considering Invisibility & Greater Invisibility as air spells, so that works.

Prawn, yes, homebrew is usable, preferably conversions from previous editions.

I'm also considering modifications of existing spells. For example:

Sleet Storm, 2nd level conjuration (instead of 3rd)
30' radius. First 10' of sleet is only lightly obscured. Creatures make concentration check only if in the area at the end of their turn.
At Higher Levels: +10' radius and height per level above 2nd.

Hmm... is there a volcanic eruption spell anywhere? That would make a lot of sense for high level earth magic. Still don't know what's left for water, though.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-07, 11:03 AM
Hmm... is there a volcanic eruption spell anywhere? That would make a lot of sense for high level earth magic.

Not to my knowledge. I wrote this for the Shugenja:

Transmute Lava
9th-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (clay and water)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You choose an area of stone or lava that you can see that fits within a 40-foot cube and that is within range, and choose one of the following effects.
Transmute Stone to Lava. Nonmagical stone of any sort in the area becomes an equal volume of thick and flowing lava that remains for the spell’s duration and sets fire to any flammable material it comes into contact with. If you cast the spell on an area of ground, any creatures in that area begin to sink into it. Each foot that a creature moves through the lava costs 4 feet of movement, and any creature on the ground when you cast the spell must make a Strength saving throw. A creature must also make this save the first time it enters the area on a turn or ends its turn there. On a failed save, a creature sinks into the lava, takes 10d10 fire damage, and is restrained, though it can use an action to end the restrained condition on itself by pulling itself free of the lava. On a successful save, or when a creature uses its action to pull itself out of the lava, the creature takes 5d10 fire damage. If you cast the spell on a ceiling, the lava falls. Any creature under lava when it falls must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d8 bludgeoning damage and 10d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Transmute Lava to Stone. Nonmagical lava or magma in the area no more than 10 feet deep transforms into soft, cool stone for the spell’s duration. Any creature in the lava when it transforms must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes restrained by the stone. The restrained creature can use an action to try to break free by succeeding on a DC 20 Strength check or by dealing 25 damage to the stone around it. On a successful save, a creature is shunted safely to the surface to an unoccupied space.

I'll have a look-see what I can find for water. Nah, looks like I only went up to level 5 with new water spells. Probably so we could flesh out the domain spells of our Water cleric.

Kryx
2017-09-07, 11:53 AM
Prawn, yes, homebrew is usable, preferably conversions from previous editions.
These likely won't fill your specific needs, but perhaps they can help:
I've converted several spells from PF and reflavored some 5e spells for other elements. See Kryx's Spells (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxGh_mU9ihaPbWFlck1kSEd4Z3M).

1st level:

Electric Arc (Lightning)
Eroding Mist (Acid)

2nd level:

Aggressive Thundercloud (Lightning)
Cloud of Acid (Acid)
Cold Snap (cold version of a single target slow spell)
Ice Slick (Cold)

3rd level:

Burst With Light (Radiant)
Eruptive Pustules (Acid)
Ice Spears (Cold)

4th level:

Dragon's Breath (multiple elements)
Polar Freeze (Cold)
Thunderbolt (Lightning)

5th level:

Acidic Spray (Acid)
Lightning Arc (Lightning)

6th level:

Acid Fog (Acid)

8th level:

Cold Fog (Cold)

7th level and 9th level water wouldn't be helped, unfortunately. But perhaps you or someone else can take advantage of the work I put in on them. If not them perhaps take a look at my Monk (See houserules) which has spells by element, but only up to 5th level.

I balance them based on my spells balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N4QC6EmXE0avgk8jK1aubJcaFoZDYw8b_DuPHh8aBTc/edit#gid=639488216) sheet.

Dhuraal
2017-09-08, 11:58 AM
How does your DM feel about leaning element shifted versions of existing spells? Myself, as a DM, and the other DMs in in my group are generally open to element shifts e.g. Fireball shifted to Iceball, Acidball, or Shockball; Cone of Cold to Cone of Fire, Cone of Acid, Cone of Lightning. etc. Or are you looking for some truly unique options?

Kryx
2017-09-08, 02:36 PM
Fireball shifted to Iceball, Acidball, or Shockball; Cone of Cold to Cone of Fire, Cone of Acid, Cone of Lightning.
Not OP, but I personally find such ideas lacking for many cases. One element shift per spell that makes sense? Sure. Beyond that it really waters down the flavor differences of each element. Ice should have its own flavor (slowing and vision blocking are its niche). Acid has its corrosive damage over time.
There can be some small cross pollination here and there, but beyond that makes it unenjoyable imo.

foobar1969
2017-09-08, 04:55 PM
Ice should have its own flavor (slowing and vision blocking are it's niche). Acid has it's corrosive damage over time.
There can be some small cross pollination here and there, but beyond that makes it unenjoyable imo.
I would agree with this to some extent. Different elements should have different secondary effects on top of the usual Xd6 elemental damage.
With a couple spells added at L7, I think my list is sufficiently balanced now. Thanks all.

foobar1969
2017-09-09, 06:09 AM
Wizard Tradition of the Elements posted, if you're interested.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535695-Elemental-Wizard-tradition