PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Greatclub build

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-07, 09:15 AM
So today I made the revelation that a greatclub is literally a big ass stick. I now need a build to use a greatclub and murder people with a stick...please help me, the fate of the world depends on it

nickl_2000
2017-09-07, 09:18 AM
Which world?

Spelljammer, Eberon, Forgotten Realms? Is it some weird material plane? Because which it is really depends on whether or not it's worth help you :smallamused:

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-07, 09:25 AM
Which world?

Spelljammer, Eberon, Forgotten Realms? Is it some weird material plane? Because which it is really depends on whether or not it's worth help you :smallamused:

.....i see what you did there... let's go with forgotten realms

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-07, 09:34 AM
Be a Gnome, Halfling, or Goblin. Since it's not a Heavy weapon, small creatures can use it without disadvantage. Now you can be a little guy with a big stick.

nickl_2000
2017-09-07, 10:14 AM
No matter what it's a sub-optimal build. That being said, it's allows you to use Great Weapon Master, so that is certainly something. You can use it was a small creature.

From a flavor perspective, a barbarian seems like it makes the most sense. Raging goblin with a giant stick, what's more appropriate than that? Great Weapon fighting style.

However, it could be argued that you could use it with Shillelagh if you took Magic Initiate or multiclassed into a caster class that had it. That could be pretty useful, especially for a low level campaign.

Joe the Rat
2017-09-07, 10:15 AM
Strength Warlock? Oh, you'll probably want to go bladelock at some point, and maybe dip for some armor, but you can merrily greenflame/booming blade your way along. Hell, with Warcaster, you can cast spells through your big ass warclub. I recommend the golf or homerun swing for launching spells at people.

Dragonblood Sorcerer might be a good direction as well - halfway decent AC without spells, better hp.

Mountain Dwarf Wizard, and ignore those silly dwarven weapon proficiencies.

One of the catches you run into is that any martial class will give you access to versatile martial weapons - all of which are better than the greatclub. Resist the call.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-07, 10:27 AM
No matter what it's a sub-optimal build. That being said, it's allows you to use Great Weapon Master, so that is certainly something. You can use it was a small creature.

From a flavor perspective, a barbarian seems like it makes the most sense. Raging goblin with a giant stick, what's more appropriate than that? Great Weapon fighting style.

However, it could be argued that you could use it with Shillelagh if you took Magic Initiate or multiclassed into a caster class that had it. That could be pretty useful, especially for a low level campaign.

You can't GWM a great club. "Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon..." Great clubs aren't "heavy." I have no idea why.

The trouble with a Great Club barbarian is that Barbarians have one-handed weapons that deal as much damage. Leaving a free hand open for something like Tavern Brawler grapples is useful on a non-GWM barbarian.

nickl_2000
2017-09-07, 10:29 AM
You can't GWM a great club. "Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon..." Great clubs aren't "heavy." I have no idea why.

The trouble with a Great Club barbarian is that Barbarians have one-handed weapons that deal as much damage. Leaving a free hand open for something like Tavern Brawler grapples is useful on a non-GWM barbarian.

Well crud, it does certainly seem silly that you can't use GREAT weapon mastery with a GREATclub. In that case, the best build would be something that can't use a shield, wouldn't it?

Easy_Lee
2017-09-07, 11:05 AM
Well crud, it does certainly seem silly that you can't use GREAT weapon mastery with a GREATclub. In that case, the best build would be something that can't use a shield, wouldn't it?

Probably so. But then you run into the issue of strength. If you're in melee, you want reasonable AC. For strength characters, that comes with heavy armor. Heavy armor proficiency on a non-martial is rare. Greatclubs aren't monk weapons either, so no monk multiclass shenanigans. And the Hexblade is out because of the two-handed requirement.

I'm at a loss.

Joe the Rat
2017-09-07, 12:06 PM
Clerics. I'm pretty sure Life and Nature are heavy armor, simple weapon.

But there's another "op" issue: Quarterstaff. Same damage as a greatclub, but can also be used one-handed when needed.

There will always be better options than using a greatclub. You can make the most of what you have, or you can change ideas.

On the "what the hell, dude?" side: If they'd specified melee with two-handed trait for GWM instead of heavy, I think the only thing that would change is that greatclub would count for the feat. Grumble grumble.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-07, 01:01 PM
On the "what the hell, dude?" side: If they'd specified melee with two-handed trait for GWM instead of heavy, I think the only thing that would change is that greatclub would count for the feat. Grumble grumble.

If they'd called the feat Power Cleave and allowed it to be used with any weapon, we'd have Sharpshooter for ranged weapons, Power Cleave for melee weapons, and a lot more variety among fighters and barbarians. Grumble grumble.

No brains
2017-09-07, 02:20 PM
Use a biggish quarterstaff and call it a greatclub. If you use the 'club' in two hands, nobody can whine when you take PAM. :smallamused: