PDA

View Full Version : Blowgun Warriors

pfctanman
2017-09-07, 11:51 AM
Hey guys so my main character just died in a game so I am coming up with a level 1 replacement, and I wanted to try something unorthodox and maybe weak mechanically. So I know I want to play a level 1 fighter (for proficiency and fighting styles) from there I will grab archery for my +2 and then arm myself with a blowgun and a rapier for a last resort. From there on out I will advance with Rogue (assassin) or perhaps (theif) so that I can apply poison on 3 darts as a bonus action. Also if I do go theif I will pick up guild artisan background with the poisoners kit and that way I get 1+sneak attack+1d4 from poison. What do you guys think about either route?

Ventruenox
2017-09-07, 01:06 PM
Make a Grung. Infinite supply of Con save DC12 2d4 additional poison damage on piercing weapons, and is applied as part of the attack. If you harvest poisons from monsters (Purple Worm), you have immunity if you fail the DC roll, and have lots of fun inflicting status effects on those darts if you succeed.

I would suggest Thief over Assassin since surprising enemies is usually plays out as far and few encounters in between.

pfctanman
2017-09-07, 01:14 PM
Make a Grung. Infinite supply of Con save DC12 2d4 additional poison damage on piercing weapons, and is applied as part of the attack. If you harvest poisons from monsters (Purple Worm), you have immunity if you fail the DC roll, and have lots of fun inflicting status effects on those darts if you succeed.

I would suggest Thief over Assassin since surprising enemies is usually plays out as far and few encounters in between.

I love the idea here, are the grungs a new race in the Volo's guide to monsters?

Ventruenox
2017-09-07, 01:22 PM
While Grungs are in Volo's as a monster, they are not a PC race in there. The stats will likely be released on DM's Guild tomorrow with the Return of the Lizard King adventure. If you want to reverse engineer it, go to the WoTC article about surrogate characters and check out the Rogue pregen. Looks like +2 DEX/+1 CON and some fun racial abilities.

SPEED.
You have a climb speed of 25 ft.
AMPHIBIOUS.
You can breathe air and water.
POISON IMMUNITY.
You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.
POISONOUS SKIN.
Any creature that grapples you or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute. A poisoned creature no longer in direct contact with you can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
You can also apply this poison to any piercing weapon as part of an attack with that weapon, though when you hit the poison reacts differently. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 poison damage. No additional effects apply.
STANDING LEAP.
Your long jump is up to 25 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.
WATER DEPENDENCY.
If you fail to immerse yourself in water for at least 1 hour during a day, you suffer one level of exhaustion at the end of that day. You can only recover from this exhaustion through magic or by immersing yourself in water for at least 1 hour.

pfctanman
2017-09-09, 12:56 PM
Also would the sharpshooter fear help this? -5 to hit but an extra ten damage when I do?

Quoxis
2017-09-09, 03:35 PM
Also would the sharpshooter fear help this? -5 to hit but an extra ten damage when I do?

With +2 from archery and a high dex? Sure, go for it, it makes your attacks do damage even when you inexplicably can't add your sneak attack dice and gives them a bit more punch when you can.

But more than that: you got a bigger range for your attacks.

Ventruenox
2017-09-09, 04:25 PM
Tmjr6 confirmed in another thread that the Grung stats are not in the Return of the Lizard module. We may have to wait for Xanader's.