PDA

View Full Version : Building Xerath (From League)

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-07, 12:15 PM
Good day.

I got the idea in my head to build Xerath, from League of Legends. (The first incarnation, before they messed with his lore)
Originally, I though him a Wizard, until it struck me that Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer was a much better fit.

What I have so far is a rough outline. It'll be reliant on DM buy-in, since I want to make him a Warforged. Refluff him to be an 'energy construct' to have the visuals pan out.
Perhaps have him floating an inch or 2 above the ground (No impact on movespeed, and Difficult Terrain still slows him down. Pure aesthetic).

Anyway, using a standard 27 point-buy, I thought about putting his stats out like so:

Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 14
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 15

Why dump Wis instead of Str? Well, I thought about trying to cheese it a bit and MC into Redemption Paladin. Since I'm not going to be wearing armor, the 3rd level ability I'd get that sets your AC at 16+Dex would effectively give me an AC of 19 with the stats as I have them laid out right now. With the +1 to AC from Warforged, of course.

I also figured I'd give him Blue Dragon ancestry. Mostly because as the player have a thing for Lightning based magic.

The chosen Cantrips at 1st level would be:
Shocking Grasp
Chill Touch (Or Ray of Frost, haven't settled on this one yet)
Fire Bolt (Because outside of Eldritch Blast, what else?)
Light/Mage Hand/Minor Illusion. Something utility at least.

The chosen spells would be Shield and Chromatic Orb.
I'd ask the DM if it'd be okay if I found a way to earn the 'Call Lightning' spell at some point, as it'd be pretty fitting for the character to have. But that's entirely in the DM's court, so I won't even put that one up for discussion here, since I am not counting on ever getting this spell on a Sorcerer.

Any multiclassing, if at all, would not happen until after I've hit 6th level Sorcerer, possibly 6th. So I have at least some 3rd level spells to work with.

I would love to get your guys' feedback on this idea. I know it's not optimized, but I think it might be a decently fun character to play as.
I'm not married to the Blue Dragon thing. I realize that Fire has a much more supported spell base.
The Metamagics I was thinking about grabbing at 3rd are Distant and Empowered, btw. Again, thematic picks.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-07, 03:56 PM
Warforged is probably best as a race as well as the whole energy construct. If you want to focus on lightning and thunder damage (which is probably the closest to xerath) maybe go for storm sorcerer. It's in scag and you end up floating around and having lightning arc out around you. Sadly there is not a lot of lightning based spells and support, I wish there was more it's always been my favorite damage type.

Tempest cleric would be a decent dip as well.

Biggstick
2017-09-07, 04:51 PM
I think a single classed Tempest Cleric would fit this pretty well too. Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning are all naturally on your spell list.

You can play off the "armored coffin" look by having armor that looks the way you'd like it to look.

The energy crackling out of Xerath is when someone hits you and gets thunderously rebuked.

I think it works better in that it's easier to implement into a game, while still being able to play with Xerath as inspiration for how you roleplay.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-07, 05:10 PM
I think a single classed Tempest Cleric would fit this pretty well too. Thunderwave, Shatter, and Call Lightning are all naturally on your spell list.

You can play off the "armored coffin" look by having armor that looks the way you'd like it to look.

The energy crackling out of Xerath is when someone hits you and gets thunderously rebuked.

I think it works better in that it's easier to implement into a game, while still being able to play with Xerath as inspiration for how you roleplay.

Yeah kinda agree, also look into elemental evil spells, I think there are a few that give some boom and zap damage. Chaos bolt from us starter spells. Maybe pick up thunderclap

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-07, 11:20 PM
I had considered Tempest Cleric, but he's an Arcane caster, not a divine one.

And 'Call Lightning' is the only spell on that list, that I'm interested in, that I wouldn't get access to as a Sorcerer. AFB, so going from memory right now.

Still, I'll keep it in mind, just in case something in Xanathar's Guide to Everything comes out that makes it all click together for me.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-09, 02:59 AM
Update:

I've been hit by a bolt of inspiration, pun intended, and realized 6 levels of Lore Bard with my Draconic Sorcerer gets me all I want out of the character by 20th level.

Even a bit of theme. "The secrets of magic are mine alone!"