PDA

View Full Version : Help creating Indiana Jones for D&D.

Klorox
2017-09-07, 01:17 PM
No UA, only published books. Think AL rules, but with any published books allowed. Reskinning is cool as long as the mechanics aren't changing.

I don't need to have the character perfect, just a fairly faithful representation of the character in D&D.

Thank you so much!

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-07, 01:32 PM
Well, if you're keeping as true to the source material as possible, then you're probably a human. Go Variant Human for the Tavern Brawler Feat. Sage (Professor) background.

As for class, that's a bit harder. I would say maybe a combination of spell-less Ranger and Rogue (Thief), with a whip as your main weapon.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-07, 01:38 PM
Well, if you're keeping as true to the source material as possible, then you're probably a human. Go Variant Human for the Tavern Brawler Feat. Sage (Professor) background.

As for class, that's a bit harder. I would say maybe a combination of spell-less Ranger and Rogue (Thief), with a whip as your main weapon.

Don't forget the hand crossbow!

xroads
2017-09-07, 01:44 PM
When I created my homage to Indiana Jones, I chose...

Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Bard (Lore)
Background: Sage

I almost went with rogue as his class, but I was in the mood to play a bard at the time. Either class seems like they would be a fit for Indy.

I chose sage as a background to represent his university connection. But this was before SCAG, so I might be tempted to choose cloistered scholar for a background now.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-07, 01:57 PM
Skills we've seen in use:
History
Religion
(possibly also would have arcana in a world where it was a major field of study)
Acrobatics
Athletics
Stealth
Handle Animal
Deception (although that was perhaps untrained, it only succeeded vs. a distracted Hitler, not a savvy British butler)
Investigation
Perception (again, hit or miss, might be failures because used without proficiency)
Persuasion or Intimidation (again, kinda fails at it a lot)

With that amount, you almost have to start out as a Rogue (or pick up skilled feat).

I would go with Vuman Rogue/Fighter (battlemaster/thief if he takes both to level 3). Mostly dex based, with whip and hand crossbow. Defensive fighting style. The only feat he truly needs is Tavern Brawler, which is good because IJ is the poster-child in my mind for a polymath-he has the most well-rounded stats I can think of. In fact, with Tavern brawler and Vuman, I'd have his starting stats be something like S12 D14 C14 I 14 W12 Ch12 putting in just ASIs up through level 16 (ftr8/rog8) to S12 D18 C16 I18 W12 Ch 14, possibly more Dex and less Int if you were being a little gamist (or, alternatively pick up EK and AT as classes to justify the high Int).

Klorox
2017-09-07, 01:59 PM
Skills we've seen in use:
History
Religion
(possibly also would have arcana in a world where it was a major field of study)
Acrobatics
Athletics
Stealth
Handle Animal
Deception (although that was perhaps untrained, it only succeeded vs. a distracted Hitler, not a savvy British butler)
Investigation
Perception (again, hit or miss, might be failures because used without proficiency)
Persuasion or Intimidation (again, kinda fails at it a lot)

With that amount, you almost have to start out as a Rogue (or pick up skilled feat).

I would go with Vuman Rogue/Fighter (battlemaster/thief if he takes both to level 3). Mostly dex based, with whip and hand crossbow. Defensive fighting style. The only feat he truly needs is Tavern Brawler, which is good because IJ is the poster-child in my mind for a polymath-he has the most well-rounded stats I can think of. In fact, with Tavern brawler and Vuman, I'd have his starting stats be something like S12 D14 C14 I 14 W12 Ch12 putting in just ASIs up through level 16 (ftr8/rog8) to S12 D18 C16 I18 W12 Ch 14, possibly more Dex and less Int if you were being a little gamist (or, alternatively pick up EK and AT as classes to justify the high Int).

Check out the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when he hears the pistol being cocked behind him, and he disarms the would-be assassin. That screams expertise in perception IMHO.

Klorox
2017-09-07, 02:14 PM
I'm thinking of some kind of DEX-based skill monkey. At least 3 levels of bard (lore) for the extra skills, at least 3 levels of rogue (anything but assassin works), and maybe 1 or 2 levels of knowledge cleric (this is a super easy way to get expertise in religion and history).

You can choose to concentrate on one class if you'd like, but I would not suggest sticking with cleric, it fits the character the least well.

I'm AFB, but if battlemaster fighter gets a disarming attack, that might fit the concept too. EDIT: I think there's a feat so he could get some maneuvers, rather than adding a 4th class.

I don't think there's any right or wrong way to build Indiana Jones, but this is a fun concept and one of my favorite fictional characters that would work in just about any fantasy setting as well. I posted this to get your guys' opinions as well.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-07, 02:33 PM
Check out the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when he hears the pistol being cocked behind him, and he disarms the would-be assassin. That screams expertise in perception IMHO.

Like I said, half and half. In Temple they poison his drink and get the drop on him and his friend, he misses that he's getting on his enemy's plane, and so on and so forth. So he's either really good at it, but occasionally rolls a '1,' or really bad at it and occasionally rolls a '20.'

Klorox
2017-09-07, 02:35 PM
Like I said, half and half. In Temple they poison his drink and get the drop on him and his friend, he misses that he's getting on his enemy's plane, and so on and so forth. So he's either really good at it, but occasionally rolls a '1,' or really bad at it and occasionally rolls a '20.'Very good point.

Pichu
2017-09-07, 02:42 PM
Tomb of Annihilation has the Archaeologist and Anthropologist backgrounds according to a r/dndnext AMA (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6yh738/spoilers_just_picked_up_tomb_of_annihilation_ama/dmnd5ss/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=dndnext).

Klorox
2017-09-07, 02:47 PM
Tomb of Annihilation has the Archaeologist and Anthropologist backgrounds according to a r/dndnext AMA (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6yh738/spoilers_just_picked_up_tomb_of_annihilation_ama/dmnd5ss/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=dndnext).

That would be awesome because it's annoying AF trying to become proficient with the whip if you don't want fighter or ranger in there.

Vogie
2017-09-07, 02:50 PM
I don't think there's any right or wrong way to build Indiana Jones, but this is a fun concept and one of my favorite fictional characters that would work in just about any fantasy setting as well. I posted this to get your guys' opinions as well.

That would be awesome because it's annoying AF trying to become proficient with the whip if you don't want fighter or ranger in there.

If this is a post-first-movie Indiana Jones, with a more fantasy bent (that includes UA), I would actually build an Undying Light Blade Warlock. Background would be that the radiant/fire energy released by the Lost Ark would have eliminated Indy as well, but instead amalgamated with his pure heart. The reason he survives for the rest of the series is because of that light on the inside that shields him and makes him more resilient. Indiana doesn't realize it at first, or puts it out of his mind, but the light keeps calling, and eventually he gets used to being able to summon a bullwhip (auto-proficient!), and keep on keeping on.

Plus, if I was thinking about this, the DM would of course introduce Nazi zombies, which would be fantastic.

Klorox
2017-09-07, 04:18 PM
If this is a post-first-movie Indiana Jones, with a more fantasy bent (that includes UA), I would actually build an Undying Light Blade Warlock. Background would be that the radiant/fire energy released by the Lost Ark would have eliminated Indy as well, but instead amalgamated with his pure heart. The reason he survives for the rest of the series is because of that light on the inside that shields him and makes him more resilient. Indiana doesn't realize it at first, or puts it out of his mind, but the light keeps calling, and eventually he gets used to being able to summon a bullwhip (auto-proficient!), and keep on keeping on.

Plus, if I was thinking about this, the DM would of course introduce Nazi zombies, which would be fantastic.

Very cool!!

Of note: valor bard gets whip.

MrStabby
2017-09-08, 05:08 PM
I do think the rogue has to be a focus. In none of the three films does he cast a spell. That rules out a bunch of classes right from the start. A rogue at least gets a bunch of skills and importantly expertise. If a Professor of Archaeology doesn't have expertise in History then I don't know who would. A lot of the rest can be simply proficiency coupled with reliable talent.

Rogue ranger might work, if only for the extra skill. I tend to agree with Willie's list for the skills. This would also give an extra language for favoured enemy. Alternatively the skilled feat also covers this off.

For rogue archetype - probably thief.

Race - standard human for all round good stats

90sMusic
2017-09-08, 07:00 PM
While it is true that a Rogue matches Indiana Jones from the movies a lot better, I think that if Indiana Jones existed in a D&D universe, he would actually be a bard.

Jack of All trades sums up most of Indie's kit, since he knew a little about everything. All of the skills and expertise match up.

He never cast spells, sure, but i'm sure he would have if he could have. I can't see him using damaging spells, but utility stuff absolutely. I think it syncs up a little better than hiding and sneak attacking constantly.

Indie was also known for his charisma and charm and witty one liners. Also, Bards tend to be the folks who have heard of these random legends and stories that end up leading to adventures the majority of the time. They hear all these old stories and legends and are the keepers of such knowledge.

So ultimately a human variant rogue would be a more faithful representation, but i'm thinking maybe a half-elf bard would be a more accurate representation of is this character existed in the D&D mythos. The reason I think half-elf is more fitting is because of the sort of duality of who he is. He was this really nerdy professor and teacher, but at the same time he was this hardcore adventuring badass. I think the elf/human relationship is a decent reflection of that with elves typically being more passive and snooty and loving the higher learning and things while humans are more of a "go get em" type.

That's just my opinion. Dwarf might also be a good race candidate as they are usually pretty interested in things like old relics and artifacts of old and that sort of business and they're keen on digging stuff up and exploring it.

Talionis
2017-09-09, 07:33 AM
I'm thinking of some kind of DEX-based skill monkey. At least 3 levels of bard (lore) for the extra skills, at least 3 levels of rogue (anything but assassin works), and maybe 1 or 2 levels of knowledge cleric (this is a super easy way to get expertise in religion and history).

You can choose to concentrate on one class if you'd like, but I would not suggest sticking with cleric, it fits the character the least well.

I'm AFB, but if battlemaster fighter gets a disarming attack, that might fit the concept too. EDIT: I think there's a feat so he could get some maneuvers, rather than adding a 4th class.

I'd second this. Including going into Battlemaster fighter. Playing the characterr as well balanced. Fighter is Dec fighter so it doesn't make you any more MAD. Bard gives Vicious Mockery and Cunning Words. You have weak magic that you can be careful selecting so that the magic is appropriate.

This would be fun it would be mostly nonmagical and damage would be from weapons.

Crossbow Expert is another worthwhile feat too. But since all but five levels are Rogue and Fighter you'll get a lot of AS I.

Sirdar
2017-09-09, 11:05 AM
Lucky Feat!

GlenSmash!
2017-09-09, 12:13 PM
Knowledge Cleric refluffed as a worshiper of science/archaeology could work well for Henry Jones Jr. However some combination of Fighter/Rogue would work well. Mariner fighter style would fit well since Jones does a fair bit of swimming and climbing. Second story work from Thief could fit well too. Inquisitive Rogue has some goodies that seem very appropriate too.

Zonugal
2017-09-20, 05:20 PM
Here is my attempt at it.

Indiana Jones

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-erNF1IA95-4/TnswUXQQrKI/AAAAAAAACyM/kWVO678StAA/s1600/Indiana.jpg

“Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.”

Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr.
‘Variant’ Human ‘Thief’ Rogue 4/ Fighter 1 with the Archaeologist background
Medium humanoid (human), Chaotic Good
Armor class 16 (studded leather armor & Mariner fighting style)
Hit points 39 (4d8+8/1d10+2)
Speed 30 ft.; Climb 30 ft. & Swim 30 ft.
---
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8
---
Saving Throws Dexterity +6 and Intelligence +5
Skills Acrobatics +6, Cartographer’s Tools +3, History +8, Investigation +8, Perception +3, Religion +5, Stealth +6, Survival +3, and Thieves’ Tools +3
Feats Lucky & Tavern Brawler
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Dwarven, and Elvish
Challenge 5
---
Special Abilities
Racial Abilities: --
Background Abilities: Historical Knowledge
Class Abilities: Expertise (History & Investigation), Sneak Attack (2d6), Thieves’ Cant, Cunning Action, Fast Hands, Second-Story Work, Fighting Style (Mariner), and Second Wind (1d10+1/rest)
---
Actions
Unarmed Strike. Melee weapon attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage
Hand Crossbow. Ranged weapon attack: +6 to hit, range 30 ft/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage; ammunition (30/120), light, loading
Whip. Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) slashing damage; finesse, reach
---
Equipment: a bullseye lantern, a burglar's pack, a hand crossbow with ten bolts, a miner’s pick, a pouch (25 gp), a set of traveler’s clothes, a shovel, studded leather armor, thieves’ tools, a trinket recovered from a dig site, a two-person tent, a whip, a wooden case containing a map to a ruin or dungeon

GlenSmash!
2017-09-20, 05:32 PM

...snip...

That is solid. Nice work.

Klorox
2017-09-21, 12:00 PM

Indiana Jones

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-erNF1IA95-4/TnswUXQQrKI/AAAAAAAACyM/kWVO678StAA/s1600/Indiana.jpg

“Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.”

Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr.
‘Variant’ Human ‘Thief’ Rogue 4/ Fighter 1 with the Archaeologist background
Medium humanoid (human), Chaotic Good
Armor class 16 (studded leather armor & Mariner fighting style)
Hit points 39 (4d8+8/1d10+2)
Speed 30 ft.; Climb 30 ft. & Swim 30 ft.
---
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8
---
Saving Throws Dexterity +6 and Intelligence +5
Skills Acrobatics +6, Cartographer’s Tools +3, History +8, Investigation +8, Perception +3, Religion +5, Stealth +6, Survival +3, and Thieves’ Tools +3
Feats Lucky & Tavern Brawler
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Dwarven, and Elvish
Challenge 5
---
Special Abilities
Racial Abilities: --
Background Abilities: Historical Knowledge
Class Abilities: Expertise (History & Investigation), Sneak Attack (2d6), Thieves’ Cant, Cunning Action, Fast Hands, Second-Story Work, Fighting Style (Mariner), and Second Wind (1d10+1/rest)
---
Actions
Unarmed Strike. Melee weapon attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage
Hand Crossbow. Ranged weapon attack: +6 to hit, range 30 ft/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage; ammunition (30/120), light, loading
Whip. Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) slashing damage; finesse, reach
---
Equipment: a bullseye lantern, a burglar's pack, a hand crossbow with ten bolts, a miner’s pick, a pouch (25 gp), a set of traveler’s clothes, a shovel, studded leather armor, thieves’ tools, a trinket recovered from a dig site, a two-person tent, a whip, a wooden case containing a map to a ruin or dungeon

I love it. Thank you.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-21, 12:18 PM
No UA, only published books. Think AL rules, but with any published books allowed. Reskinning is cool as long as the mechanics aren't changing.

I don't need to have the character perfect, just a fairly faithful representation of the character in D&D.

Thank you so much!

They got it above

2D8HP
2017-09-21, 12:53 PM
Here is my attempt at it.....

Oh by Lathander's and Lolth's love child this is too sweet to not steal by inspired by!

What is custom and what's printed?

Zonugal
2017-09-21, 01:43 PM
That is solid. Nice work.

I love it. Thank you.

Thank you for the compliments!

Oh by Lathander's and Lolth's love child this is too sweet to not steal by inspired by!

What is custom and what's printed?

Everything in that build has been published by WotC, with the only Unearthed Arcana material being the Mariner fighting style (which you could sub out for the Defense fighting style [you'd just end up losing the climb & swim speed]).

The attributes are also done via the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

Klorox
2017-09-24, 01:06 AM
I'm rethinking his class levels.

The base is a skill monkey, which needs a few classes.

I'm thinking we need at least 3 levels of bard for expertise, a level or two of knowledge cleric (not that he's particularly religious, he probably joined the order because they let his do research in their library), and a whole bunch of rogue. I'm really not sure which rogue archetype we want though. Swashbuckler and thief both work well, and arcane trickster really helps with tomb raiding too.

If you want whip (let's face it, we want proficiency with whip), those bard levels need to be valor, or you can dip fighter or ranger. We have three classes already, so I'm gonna avoid adding a fourth class.

Variant human or lightfoot halfling work thematically. Archaeologist background (obviously)

Vhuman: 8/16/14/12/10/14
Halfling: 8/17/14/12/10/14

Rogue 13 / Bard (valor) 6 / Cleric (knowledge) 1

Cl0001
2017-09-24, 05:14 PM
I made him a while back with thief rogue 14, battlemaster fighter 6. I rolled for stats and got

Strength: 13 -> 14
Dex:17-> 18
Con: 15-> 16
Int: 15-> 16
Wis: 10->11
Cha: 7->8

Initially I was going to use vuman, but with so many odd rolls I couldn’t pass up on getting all those to evens with a normal human.

I got 6 ASIs and used them to get;
Observant
Dungeon delver
Crossbow master
Keen mind
Tavern Brawler
Then I put +1 into two stats to get a nice even number

For profiencies I had, stealth, perception, investigation, Athletics, history, religion, Arcana

His weapons were a whip and hand crossbow (revolver)

furby076
2017-09-24, 10:48 PM
I think you need to raise his charisma a bit. I understand you want to use standard array...but in every single movie, he scores with the hot chick (good and bad girls). They all want him. The college girls also want him. So anything less than a 14 seems wrong.

Cl0001
2017-09-24, 11:33 PM
I think you need to raise his charisma a bit. I understand you want to use standard array...but in every single movie, he scores with the hot chick (good and bad girls). They all want him. The college girls also want him. So anything less than a 14 seems wrong.

You see I personally don’t think he’s that charismatic. He’s good looking, but when you look at his attempts at charisma based skills, he rarely, if ever, succeeds. In my opinion he gets the chick because he’s good looking Not because he’s an especially smooth talker.

Zonugal
2017-09-25, 11:12 AM

Hey, I needed that 8 to go some-where...

And if we divorce ourselves from the idea that attractiveness equals a high charisma score, yeah as Cl0001 pointed out, Indiana Jones is pretty bad at anything charismatic. He's a good professor (but even that we aren't really shown a lot of and even so, its his day job) and he's good looking and generally pretty forceful.

But besides that he fails any actual attempt at persuasion and deception throughout his adventures.

Case in point, his attempt to disguise himself as a Scottish lord.

http://www.theraider.net/films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/163.jpg

Arkhios
2017-09-25, 12:51 PM
I'd go straight with Thief, picking up Weapon Master at 1st level. (Obviously v. Human).

The feat's purpose is quite simply to get proficiency with Whip and Scimitar ("machete") and be done with it, and maybe blowgun and heavy crossbow ("rifle").

I might take Crossbow Expert at some point, too.

furby076
2017-09-25, 11:02 PM
Regarding charisma....lets not forget he manages to raise money for grants (i think it was last crusade). He does have a commanding presence, and while we point out his failures, he does have quite a few successes. We can justify anything we want...i think he has a good charisma....which to me is either looks, presence or both

2D8HP
2017-09-25, 11:33 PM
Thank you for the compliments!

Everything in that build has been published by WotC, with the only Unearthed Arcana material being the Mariner fighting style (which you could sub out for the Defense fighting style [you'd just end up losing the climb & swim speed]).

The attributes are also done via the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

I picked up Tomb of Annihilation today, and found the "Archeologist Background".

Good stuff.

Klorox
2018-02-26, 02:44 PM
Two questions:

Would you guys change anything now that Xanathar’s Guide is out?

Does the archaeologist background give you proficiency with whips?

Basement Cat
2018-02-26, 08:53 PM
I did a Halfling Indiana Jones last year.

Base class was Bard with several levels in Monk (it's always fisticuffs with Indy).

Lucky was his first Feat!!! He needed it.

A human Indiana Jones would be more accurate, of course.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-27, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure about charisma, but I wouldn't peg Indiana as a typical bard. In the first movie he has a bunch of fallings out with an old lover who feels like he took advantage of her, in the second one he keeps on failing to build up a human relationship with a woman who seems to really be trying to fall for him, in the third one he has a screwed up relationship with his father and in the fourth, if you count it, it turns out he has a son his on again off again lover never told him about or something like that. He's not a people person.

Flavor-wise I'd be inclined to peg him as at least part ranger, being a wilderness badass. But I don't think we ever really see him do anything that would be particularly rangery in d&d. He's proficient with animals, although scared of snakes. He has a varied set of weapons which you could work into two weapon fighting, although he doesn't seem to do that in the movies. He has a background as a horseback riding boyscout, or what was it in the second film? But we don't see anything like an animal companion (the kid?), favored enemies (Nazis?), spells or favored terrains.

So what's left is rogue, because he is a tomb raiding skill monkey. The opening of the first movie is very rogue. But if you can get him molded into a full character with a dip in ranger I'd personally see that as more accurate than a dip in bard. Valor bard seems acceptable as a middle ground, as does fighter. Some homebrew conversion of factotum might also be an option, for the "jack of all traits" feel, or if this was for an NPC expert would be an option for the professory stuff.

Stat wise int and dex seem to be his strong suit, or at least what sets him apart from fellow action heroes like James Bond or The Transporter. His str is also pretty good, or he has a build that let's him use dex for the important uses of str. The other 3 are probably roughly equal, all sort of low for a great hero, but not quite a dump stat. He could still seduce a barmaid (cha), win a drinking game (con) or handle a rampaging horse (wis) if the script needed him too, but he has moments of failure in those same areas as well.

As an afterthought, since this is 5e, I'd try to get some proficiency with varied vehicles in there. In d&d you're kind of limited to horses/coaches/chariots and (small) boats, but if Indy did ever fight Nazis on either of them you know he could do so without crashing.

Vogie
2018-02-27, 09:33 AM
I'd probably make him a tri-brid mix. It's a little bit MAD, but that also fits his character as well.

Hunter Ranger base - Wilderness is his home, Humans are his favored enemy (rather than, say, snakes), he exclusively uses a sole 1 handed weapons (either whip, pistol, sword/machete, et cetera). And the Colossus Slayer description, "Your tenacity can wear down the most potent foes", is basically his fighting style

3 levels of Lore Bard - He's seemingly proficient in everything, is on a search for knowledge, and uses his inspiration not on party members (because he usually doesn't have someone fighting alongside him) but rather to insult and keep his enemies on edge.

3 levels of Inquisitive Rogue - Eye for Detail & Ear for Deceit shows his inquisitive ability and ability to find things, then Insightful Fighting shows how he normally augments his damage: finding weak points, getting the drop on his enemies, and getting them off-balance.

He's not really strong, nor his he overly bookish. He never wears anything remotely armor-like, so Str would likely be his dump stat. His Wisdom would be larger than his Intellect, with decent Dexterity and just enough Charisma to get things done.

Throne12
2018-02-27, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much!

Background Archeologist it's in the book tome of Annihilation. Race v-human feat dungeon delver. Class Battlemaster Fighter lv3, thief rogue lv7.

krunchyfrogg
2018-03-03, 11:14 PM
Flavor-wise, I think you’re looking at mostly rogue.

Check out total party thrill episode #41. They do a two fisted archaeologist build.

I think it’s rogue 17/ranger 2/fighter 1 or something like that. I can’t seem to find it.

Luccan
2018-03-04, 01:12 AM
Something we have to ask is, are we building Indiana Jones using 5e D&D or are we building 5e D&D Indiana Jones? Because I do agree that Indy would totally use utility magic if he lived in a world where it was common and easy to pick up for adventurers as it is in most games. But if we're trying to build a character that could slip into his shoes and be nearly indiscernible ability-wise, that's something else. In that case, I recommend V-Human and rogue/ranger. Skills are going to be important and I'm sure there are a few feats we could argue he has.

Edit: Thinking on it, rogue/fighter might be best, as others have said. Natural Explorer seems to be a bit generous towards some of Indy's talents.

GreyBlack
2018-03-04, 05:59 AM
Indiana Jones is the worst archaeologist ever and winds up breaking priceless artifacts constantly.

I would argue V. Human Sage Barbarian. Brawler as the first feat.

HappyFace
2019-07-22, 08:56 PM
I see Indiana Jones as a valor bard, with two-level dip into rogue, human variant tavern brawler feat with sage background. Weapons focus on whip, light crossbow, and short sword. Further feats in dungeon delver, athlete, lucky, mobile, and observant.

Even playing a non-human with a similar focus results in great capers. I'm playing a Tiefling bard now with a lot of these features, and the other players know he's Indiana Jones...

Peelee
2019-07-22, 09:39 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Turn unthread!