PDA

View Full Version : [Star Trek Adventures] USS Bernard: Mission to Corachaidd

More of That
2017-09-07, 03:33 PM
USS Bernard
Deck 2
Officer's Lounge

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534730-Star-Trek-Adventures-USS-Bernard-Mission-to-Corachaidd&p=22335764)
Stardate 56423.4
Time 19:43

The officer's lounge is softly lit, with six seats arrayed around a cozy circular table. Five of the seats are occupied. A grand observation window built into one wall showcases an ocean of glimmering stars set against an inky black. The other walls display art from a dozen Federation worlds. One also features a door, a replicator and an extensive drinks cabinet. The latter has been opened.

The table is littered with drinks in various states of being drunken, a central pile of cards and a smattering of discarded hands from those who folded. The game is poker. The five players are Vrelek, T'Loran, Yvonne, Kor and Dr. Lee.

In accordance with ship's tradition, the winner of the last round will deal next.

Squadfather42
2017-09-07, 03:56 PM
Kor looks around at the other players as he deals out the cards. "Five card draw with two's and jack's wild this round. Has anyone heard if we are going to get a mission soon? A warrior should not sit idly by."

Lexiconjurer
2017-09-08, 01:42 AM
At the Academy, there were a lot of graduates hopeful to be assigned to particular vessels. Lots of people wanted to serve aboard the Enterprise or the Hood, but Yvonne wasn't picky. She would have been happy to be signed on with even one of the old Oberths still puttering through Federation space. As long as she got to travel the stars and get her hands on a proper Warp engine, she would be content.

While the Bernard wasn't as prestigious a vessel as some, Lt. Dobson was still delighted to become part of her crew. Excelsior-class ships were said to have some pretty impressive engines and she was confident that, with a little tinkering, she could improve their efficiency. After all, speed was no doubt important on a emergency response vessel like the Bernard.

However, when she was transferred to the ship, the last thing she expected during her time aboard was to ever play cards with the Captain and his second-in-command. She felt more than a little out of place but tried not to let it show. Instead, when the Klingon dealt her cards, Yvonne slid them over to herself, lifting them just enough that she could make out what sort of hand she had.

"I would be surprised if we get assigned a mission soon but I wouldn't mind. It just means we'll be helping out people who need it, right?"

whoiam
2017-09-08, 03:31 AM
"Oh, sitting idly by has it's advantages, " the Vulcan noted, checking her hand before folding quickly. The others would have noticed she had a habit of doing so; rarely bothering to buy into a round unless she had something decent to start with. "Getting to know the rest of your bridge watch, for starters. That (for those who hadn't read the duty rosters I sent out yet) is the five of us, and whichever ensigns can't hide from me well enough to get out of it. Chief of Engineering heads the second watch, Chief of Security heads the third. So, congratulations! You get woken up along with the old blue man and I whenever something strange shows up in the middle of the 'night'. Better keeps a fresh uniform handy..."

Poker games, in T'Loran's mind at least, were a great time to break the usual protocol. They weren't on duty, after all. But the juniors wouldn't catch on if she, the Captain, and the Doctor acted all stiff, so... lead by example.

"You can blame me for that, by the way. First officer sets the duty roster, O.B.M. wanted a department head on the bridge in each watch, and I pulled rank to shadow the Cap'n instead of leading my own watch... For entirely logical reasons, that were in no way related to picking the posting that gives me the highest chance of going on away missions." Her face is not entirely straight as she says this. Still, for a Vulcan, faint hints of a smile at the edges of her face would have looked noteworthy enough...

"Oh, and the away missions? That applies to you two, too." With her hands free after discarding her cards, T'Loran was pointing at the two Lieutenants. "So keep me safe! Or my replacement will have to find someone bulkier to jump in front of phaser blasts for them..."

Squadfather42
2017-09-08, 05:31 AM
Kor alliws a hint of a grin to appear on his face. Not because of the cards in his hand, but to the conversation.

"Have no fear, I will ensure your safety while on away missions. I am well versed in the art of combat. Both ranged and melee, that includes unarmed as well."

EarthenRite
2017-09-08, 09:27 PM
Vrelek sighed as he put this hand down again, folding as he had for several times this unfortunate evening. Luck simply wasn't with him tonight. Maybe bad luck in cards would be luck for the mission.

"I do enjoy the fact that you were raised on the homeworld, Commander. A little Andorian ice in your veins makes you fun. As far as the mission...we will see what Starfleet Command has to say. I am not sure I can handle another mining claim arbitration. Perhaps something with a little...excitement."

Lexiconjurer
2017-09-11, 02:54 AM
Yvonne had heard rumors that the first officer was odd even for a Vulcan. Even forewarned, she was hardly prepared for meeting Commander T'Loran. The Vulcan woman was... smiling. It wasn't a big smile but with a Vulcan even a hint seemed like a full on grin. And jokes! There were jokes! Yvonne could scarcely believe it! A Vulcan developing a sense of humor seemed about as likely as a ship's counselor being Klingon!

"I'll try my best, Commander. I have some hand-to-hand training if it comes to it." She looked at her cards again before picking up a few chips and tossing them onto the center of the table.

Squadfather42
2017-09-11, 03:11 AM
Kor looks at his cards and pauses in thought. "Dealer will take two."

Laying down his two cards, Kor quickly draws two new cards and puts them in his hands.

"If you feel uncertain about your hand-to-hand fighting capabilities, I would be happy to set up a class."

Barely glancing over his cards, Kor directs the statement at his fellow shipmates.

EarthenRite
2017-09-11, 08:23 PM
Vrelek smiles at the Klingon's offer of refresher courses in physical combat.

"That reminds me, my Norse Saga holodeck program is nearly done. Ancient human norse culture is fascinating. The cold, the combat...I feel as though you would particularly enjoy it, Mr. Kor."

Squadfather42
2017-09-12, 10:57 AM
Vrelek smiles at the Klingon's offer of refresher courses in physical combat.

"That reminds me, my Norse Saga holodeck program is nearly done. Ancient human norse culture is fascinating. The cold, the combat...I feel as though you would particularly enjoy it, Mr. Kor."

Kor looks over his cards and smiles. "Indeed, I look forward to trying it."

whoiam
2017-09-12, 04:11 PM
"Be careful offering things like training courses in this company;" T'Loran seems to have slipped back into typical Vulcan behaviour - flat voice, level stare, blank face - as she starts dispensing advice to her Klingon colleague. "Not that it's in any way a bad idea - even speaking as someone who passed over the chance to learn Andorian Martial Arts in favor of going back to Vulcan and studying quasi-telepathic massage techniques, I can still tell it's a decent idea - but the thing you need to be careful about is giving the impression that you're bypassing your department head to get things done by currying favor with the OBM and myself. Doesn't matter how good the idea is, if your manager thinks you're undermining them, things will get ugly. That is, sadly, logical."

For those who know about Vulcans, they'll recognize T'Loran's admission as implying that she's trained in Vulcan Neuropressure - a series of techniques that does, indeed, include a telepathy-assisted massage. But it's most famous use (offworld, anyway) is the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.

For Captain Vrelek, who appears to have read T'Loran's personnel file, no special knowledge of Vulcans is needed. Her Neuropressure certification is in the file.

"Oh, and before any of you get any ideas, we're not nearly off-duty enough for me to give demonstrations. For that, we need to graduate from 'poker night' up to 'emptying the illicit stock of Romulan Ale we officially don't have'."

EarthenRite
2017-09-12, 04:23 PM
Vrelek nodded, allowing a veneer of seriousness to spread over his face.

"On an entirely unrelated note, XO, I am very concerned about the possibility of encountering smugglers of illegal goods on our continuing missions. If any of our scans reveal any Romulan Ale aboard other ships I insist you inform me personally and immediately."

Squadfather42
2017-09-12, 05:30 PM
"May I offer a suggestion sir? We may want to expand the sensors to include any trace of Klingon Bloodwine. It is usually fatal to drink.....by non-Kilingons." Kor adds with a smile and a quick chuckle.

EarthenRite
2017-09-12, 05:49 PM
"Indeed, Mr. Kor. I think we should pursue those modifications post-haste."

He turned to the other more junior officers.

"Of course, anyone who discusses what's being said in the Officer's Lounge...doesn't get to join in!"

whoiam
2017-09-13, 08:56 AM
"On other ships, Cap'n? Well, consider it done. If you'd asked about smugglers operating on this ship, I'd have had to stall you until I could clear out the Jeffries Tube above the main docking bay." Again, sticking 'in character' as a Vulcan. Probably just because it'll amuse her to see who does or doesn't think she's got a secret Romulan Ale stash...

Still, I do have to admit, I wouldn't know where to begin scanning for Bloodwine. Unless someone had a sample for me to configure the scanners with?"

EarthenRite
2017-09-13, 04:24 PM
"If we were to have Klingon bloodwine, we should adjourn the game and the new sensor modifications and promptly begin trying the drink. Personally, I'd put money on myself and the XO for remaining on our feet afterwards. Mr. Kor aside, of course. He does have the...home field advantage, is that the saying?

"Obviously, Doctor, we would need you to remain sober in case something went wrong. Although, inebriated Andorians, Klingons, and Vulcans should be safe enough."

Vrelek laughed and took a long breath. It was good to relax with the crew - his crew. He had been going over the reports from the different departments the other evening, and there were some interesting dynamics on board. The years had been savage for the Federation's mission of peace, exploration and diplomacy, and even though his Andorian blood relished an honest conflict as much as any, he was looking forward to a resumption of peaceful existence within the galaxy. He had seen bloodshed, and he had lost crew and friends. As he looked around at the players in the game, he hoped he would never have to add to that list again.

Squadfather42
2017-09-13, 11:49 PM
"It has been a while since I've had any blood wine. If I come across some, I will try and remember to save a sample for the sensors."

Kor says smiling as he looks at his cards. Thoughts of when he was selected for the exchange program fliat up into his mind. I'll admit that I had my reservations about the idea of the project. Yet, after the academy and being here now I'm glad to say I was wrong. This ship and crew have shown to have a warriors spirit and honor. I'm proud to be serving here, and honored to fight along side them.

Kor snaos back to reality as he looks at his cards again. "I raise...by 5." Kor ends his simple statement by adding more chips to the pile.

Lexiconjurer
2017-09-15, 04:08 AM
Yvonne gave her superior officers an odd look as they discussed the possibility of procuring Klingon blood wine. She wasn't all that intrigued by the idea. During her time at the academy, one of the students had gotten their hands on some Romulan ale. The hangover had been unpleasant, to say the least. After that, the lieutenant decided to stick to synthehol.

Her attention returned to Kor as he raised. Yvonne smiled and picked up several chips, tossing them to the center of the table. "I'll meet that. And raise you ten."