PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Infinite Find Familiar/Steed, or how to be a Wishulacrum Wizard at level 1

Arenabait
2017-09-07, 04:25 PM
So. You read the title and saw what was coming: I believe I've found a way to have infinite familiars (Well, only one familiar, which has a familiar, which has it's own familiar, etc.)

Lets get down to business: What you'll need

1. The find familiar spell (Any source will do. Arcane trickster, Eldritch knight, Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster, Spellcasting, etc.)
2. A ring of spell storing
3. An awful lot of free time
Optional: Find Steed. (If you want your infinite summons to be able to deal damage) Warlock pact of the chain. (If you want to have infinite invisible imps doing infinite damage, you'll need this.) It has been pointed out to me that only the first familiar can actually deal damage here.

What you'll need to do:

1. Cast Find Familiar
2. Spend an hour to attune the ring to your Familiar
3. Cast Find Familiar into the Ring of Spell Storing, and have your Familiar spend 10 minutes to cast Find Familiar
4. Spend another hour to attune the ring to your Familiar's Familiar
5. Cast Find Familiar into the Ring of Spell Storing, and have your Familiar's Familiar spend 10 minutes to cast Find Familiar
6. Repeat Ad Infinitum

It is also of note that if any familiar is killed, all of the familiars attached to it disappear as well. Huh, I could've sworn this was the case. Looking at thhe spell, I suppose not. Your DM decides what happens to the familiars now that you aren't in control of them
Now for some explanation as to how this is possible!

First off: Familiars can use magic items.

Need proof? Well, if you're easily pleased, there's this (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/11/do-magic-items-attuned-to-a-familiar-count-against-the-arcanists-total/), in which Jeremy Crawford himself implies that they're able to in the first place. If you're not easily pleased, I got you.

So, to lay some foundations: Familiars are creatures. (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/22/is-familiar-a-creature-or-a-spirit/)

Also, You need to be a creature in order to use magic items in general (https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/rules/basic-rules/magic-items). Other than that, there's no real restriction to being able to use and attune to magic items as a whole, it doesn't say anything else that would exclude familiars from being able to attune to magic items.

Next: The Ring of Spell Storing! (https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/ring-of-spell-storing) (Note that you don't have to be attuned to store spells: "Any creature can cast a spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast.") It doesn't even specify any restrictions as lenient as "Any Creature" for using the thing, it only says "you", referring to the wearer.

Finally: The Find Familiar spell itself doesn't have anything in it that says it can't be cast by a familiar, that a familiar can't have it's own familiar, or even that a familiar can't cast spells or use magic items!

If you think I missed something, please let me know, .

P.S. Please don't actually try to use this in a campaign, your DM would probably track me down and kill me

Biggstick
2017-09-07, 04:36 PM
It all sounds and looks RAW to me. Good on you putting all this together!

If I were a Player in a game with another Player doing this though, I would sigh. The game would become all about managing the Imps, which isn't what I'm playing D&D for.

If I were the DM in a game where a Player wanted to try this, I would put the kybosh on it. Although I'm someone that likes to say I tend to run my games RAW, I don't see this as being in the spirit of the Find Familiar spell. As a note, I'm also one that doesn't allow multiple Simulcrums (sp?) either. You get one Simulcrum (sp again), and woe be to the person who tries to make more.

Arenabait
2017-09-07, 04:45 PM
As a DM, I only had to teach my players not to try and make multiple simulacrums of one person one time. As they created Simulacrum after Simulacrum, the clones became more and more warped the more of them there are, until eventually, the artificial soul is stretched thin, and snaps. Mechanically, that's a DC15 Wisdom save for each simulacrum past the first, with the DC increasing by 1 for each time you've made this save. Yeah, fighting 3 level 17 wizards ain't fun, but they made it through... Barely...

I'd probably do a similiar thing with the familiars, but have it be something like 3d4 of whatever they were trying to summon, or 1d6+1 if it was a warlock familiar, because 1d6+1 damage and 2d6 health is a LOT different from 1 damage and 2 health.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-07, 04:47 PM
Sadly, you are not the first to come up with this cheese. A general rule of thumb for any game is if allowing x breaks the game than x is disallowed. Infinite anything breaks any game.

You wouldn't be able to have more than one imp though, as your familiar is not himself/herself a chain warlock. It specifies "when you cast the spell..." You can only have infinite of the normal familiar creatures. Furthermore you are limited by both time and gold.

So you could have infinite a lot of poison from snakes and infinite a lot of help actions. Mostly just annoying. Try rolling initiative infinite times each time combat comes around. :smalltongue:

If you really want to break it, just use FIND STEED. They don't cost 10 gold a piece and can attack...

Wiiiiiiiiiild Horses...

Arenabait
2017-09-07, 04:58 PM
You wouldn't be able to have more than one imp though, as your familiar is not himself/herself a chain warlock. It specifies "when you cast the spell..." You can only have infinite of the normal familiar creatures. Furthermore you are limited by both time and gold.

Ah! Good catch!

Unoriginal
2017-09-07, 05:15 PM
Familiars can't attack, IIRC, so I don't know how you want them to do DPR

Ventruenox
2017-09-07, 05:38 PM
One bit about this cheese and Find Steed: it would necessitate an alternate interpretation of "mount" lest it create increasingly larger steeds.

Millstone85
2017-09-07, 06:19 PM
It is also of note that if any familiar is killed, all of the familiars attached to it disappear as well.The spell doesn't say anything about what happens to the familiar when the caster dies.

A DM could rule that the next familiar is now out of your control, and king of the familiars below it. Potentially, there is now a hostile swarm spamming Help for the creatures you were fighting.