PDA

View Full Version : Uknown Armies 2ed- Metamorphosis

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-07, 05:03 PM
Weird Science

That's what the bumper sticker says on the busted up Toyota in the empty parking lot of the University of Toledo. This building looks dumpy and old in comparison to the rest of the campus, and the parking lot is cracked and lonely on this Sunday afternoon. The Toyota's license plate reads DR ODEL, which is the name of the professor who contacted each of you. Each of you receives a letter, formal and academic,
requesting you visit the Dr. to discuss a possible momentous discovery on his part. It was obvious that everyone received the same letter,
dry and a bit pompous, but the difference is each of yours has a personalized message written on it that appeared a few seconds after the letter was opened. This could be chalked up to special inks, but each message also promised something special. While the letter drones about Dr Odel being the foremost expert in Psychology, the letter offered each of you something impossible to ignore-
REAL MAGICK.
I know your time spent at the University came to an unexpected end, Ms. Allsop, but I really do feel that your potential warrants further assistance from my department. I've discovered some old formulas from a 12th century Alchemy text that show promising results, but my own chemistry skills are insufficient to utilize them all. The one I've managed to work makes little scientific sense but allows the user to view into an unseen reality surrounding our own. I invite you to sample it, as well as to ply your trade at some of the more advanced recipes. You will be paid, of course.
I'm not sure if you remember me, Dr. Stone, but we are alumni of the same class at our University. You always struck me as a grounded man, but one with both imagination and poise. I would need all this and more if I am to fully utilize all of my latest findings to their fullest effect. I have discovered an alternate plane of perception, accessible through some as yet unquantifiable chemistry I've discovered. I've been able to use it to do more good for my subjects in the last three months than I've managed in three years of counseling and pharmaceutical treatment. It truly allows one to view, monitor, and even CHANGE things about a patient that psychiatrists spend decades trying to unravel. If you could visit me to help me prepare my findings it would be much appreciated. You will be remunerated for your time, of course.
Good day, Professor! It has come to my attention that you may be interested in some of the latest findings I've made in the realm of psychology and pharmacology that bring into question such outlandish theories as group consciousness, psychic phenomena, and the existence of another plane of reality. I know all of this seems impossible, or even mad, but I believe if I were to continue without the assistance of such a spirited truth-seeker as yourself, it would be a detriment to my studies as well as their legitimacy. My main reason for inviting you to join me, however, is the unique perspective you may have on my findings greater meaning in respect to the human condition. Your time will be compensated, of course.
My dear Ms. Kern, I wish for your assistance in a personal project of mine. I have heard from certain elements that your medical expertise can be acquired for monetary reward, and I am in great need of a person with your skills. I have embarked on a journey involving pharmacology, psychology, and even spiritualism, or a sort. My findings call into question the realities of years of training in both our fields of expertise. What I require at this point is someone with medical training to help me measure the physiological connotations of my experiments who is eager to explore and reserved in their professional demeanor. I promise you that if you assist me in the earliest stages of this endeavor than you will continue to be involved in the examination of the foundations of a new merger of science and soul. As mentioned before, your services will not go unrewarded.

Maybe you're just morbidly curious about the offer. Maybe you've come to give the man an earful after bombarding you with letters. Each one requested an RSVP through an email address, and they arrive every week or so until a response is sent. Maybe his offer is just what you were looking for. No matter what, this overcast day in the middle of a eerie parking lot is the beginning of something big.

First come, first serve when it comes to arrival in the parking lot. The building is currently locked, so presumably the your contact will be letting you in soon enough. Take this time to meet, greet, and show off your characters to one another.

Kittendumpling
2017-09-07, 05:56 PM
The message was simply too tantalising to ignore. Nathan vaguely recalled someone called Odel who was in his year at University, so he felt fairly confident it wasn't a weird phishing scam. A real, highly effective breakthrough in psychiatric treatment? Nathan left for the address detailed as soon as he was able.

His sleek hunter green Lexus pulled into a parking space near the doors to the building, and Nathan got out, eyes already searching for Dr Odel. He noticed the bumper sticker of the nearby car as he locked his own vehicle. 'WEIRD SCIENCE' huh? It reminded him of that 80s film, though all he could recall was the title.

He leaned on the bonnet of his car and lit a cigarette, idly blowing the pale smoke upwards as he watched the few stars he could pick out among the light pollution.

Longes
2017-09-08, 07:15 AM
Dressed and with a messenger bag in hand, Olga went around the house making last checks. Neither light, nor gas nor irons were on. All windows were locked. Note on the fridge reminded about a planned Saturday with her daughter, first time she'll get to see her this month. Next to it was a letter from mom talking about the 'exciting' life in the retirement house. As usual, the tone was subtly judgmental, she never really forgave selling the farm. All animals were fed and in their cages, test subjects and those planned for adoption alike. Everything seemed normal. Content, Olga went outside. Maybe this time it won't be a malicious prank or a crazy person.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/12-CVO-Softail-Convertible.jpg

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about bikes
Olga pretty much looks and dresses like this, and is 176cm tall:

http://i.imgur.com/J7F9TZp.jpg

Driving into the parking lot, Olga picked a spot at the edge and got off the bike. Checking the front door proved to be futile. Turning to the guy smoking in the parking lot Olga waved and asked:
"Yo, when are they opening?"

Priest_Of_Banjo
2017-09-08, 07:56 AM
Well, this isn't too far from what I was expecting.

As he pulled up in his modest sedan, Arthur considered his options.

I could just go home. Ignore this whole thing for a probable farce and get back to those rumours about a "skin warper" ripping people's eyes out.

I could stay in the car until this gets underway. Just wait it out and ignore the others.

Or... I could be friendly.

Reaching over in the seat next to him for his messenger bag and cane, Arthur stepped out of the sedan and walked over to the group. His tweed jacket provided little comfort as he waved with his free hand.

"Good day!" He cried, his British accent like a fog horn through the overcast clouds. "I don't suppose either of you would happen to be this Doctor Odel, would you?"

Kittendumpling
2017-09-08, 03:28 PM
Nathan gave the redheaded biker a slightly awkward little wave as they approached.

"Not sure. Soon, I think," he responded to the question.

He was about to ask if they were both there for the same reason, when the rumbling of another car came close and Nathan looked at the sedan pulling up, eyeing the emerging driver curiously.

"I'm not Dr Odel, but I'm waiting for him. Are you two also here for him?"

Nathan raised an eyebrow.

"Did you get strange messages too?"

Longes
2017-09-08, 03:56 PM
"So, not a prank then", Olga mumbled to herself. "Name's Olga. Who are you lot?"

Priest_Of_Banjo
2017-09-08, 04:07 PM
"Professor Arthur Gordons." He held out his hand for a handshake, smiling slightly awkwardly. "As for the messages, well... Let's just say that this Dr Odel makes a rather compelling sales pitch.

"Do you know if it's just us? Or is this part of some larger event this evening?" He tapped his cane gently on the ground impatiently.

Longes
2017-09-09, 11:43 AM
Olga reciprocates the handshake.
"Professor of...?"

After getting the answer, Olga responds to the other question. "As far as I knew, it was just me. The door's closed, the parking lot is empty, there are no notices anywhere and only three people arrived so far. So unless there's a big surprise crowd waiting inside, I think it's two-three more people tops."

Kittendumpling
2017-09-09, 12:51 PM
"Doctor Stone," Nathan answered, then remembered he wasn't in a professional setting. "Nathan," he added. "And I've honestly no idea how many people were contacted. Like yourselves, I thought it was just me until right now."

Kythia
2017-09-11, 10:31 AM
Becky had almost been there for hours.

She'd set off in time to be the earliest there by a substantial margin,and had barely lost half an hour of it by getting distracted walking through the park.

Even with the delays there, she was well on track to be three ish hours early. She'd then got hungry and had had to go to a nearby Taco Bell where one of the servers owed her some money which she cheerfully wrote off in exchange for some suspicious looking food.

All told, that had probably cost her another hour, but she was still going to be about two hours early. She'd had to take a bit of a long way round from the Taco Bell because she'd seen someone down the road who could conceivably have been her mom's friend Nancy. So there was maybe half an hour lost there.

But she'd still be about an hour and a half early. Plenty of time to swing her Dora the Explorer rucksack round, rummage through it, and find something to calm her down. Ingesting them and then dealing with the after effects of being perhaps a little too calm and having a nap in an alleyway cost rather more time than she had expected, but she was still going to be on time, maybe even five or ten minutes early.

But then there was the interesting looking cloud incident and she'd followed that for a while and now she was going to be late. This is precisely why she usually set off three to four hours early.

She was going to be late and was still a little too calmed down to hurry or jog in any way. It was more of a saunter, swinging her rucksack in one hand, when she arrived in the car park and smiled aimlessly at those present.

"I saw an interesting looking cloud" she explained.

Longes
2017-09-11, 12:15 PM
Olga waved.
"Long time no see! Didn't expect you to be here."

Kythia
2017-09-11, 03:10 PM
Olga was probably used to the slightly vacant gaze - focused somewhat disconcertingly either an inch in front of the face or two inches behind - that was Becky's standard way of working out she knew someone through the fog. She'd probably also experienced the other side of the pendulum, the relentless ohmygodyou'rehereIhaven'tseenyouinagesI'msogladyou 'reherelookwhatIfoundearliercomewithmeI'llshowyoun ow, accompanied by jiggling legs and constant twitching when the fog was replaced with energy. It had been a couple of hours, though, and Becky was fast approaching her own personal normal, so the blank stare didn't last as long as it normally did.

"You're Olga" she eventually announced. "I don't think...I expected you to be here? I got an email." She held her empty hand out, as if offering a piece of paper, then stared at it in mild confusion for a moment. "It's not in my hand right now." She grinned but cast a suspicious look back at her hand when she thought no one was watching.

"Olga sounds like Oled. And Oled sounds like Toledo. So I guess it makes sense that Olga is with me in Toledo to meet Oled. Is your name" this was addressed to somewhere in the rough vicinity of Nathan "errrr Leto? Or something like that? And you" the spot behind Arthur "I think you might be...let me see...Eric? No...Olr..Tolri...Ulrik! Is your name Ulrik? I'm Becky. My name doesn't fit. Maybe I should be Tula. Like from the gangster film with the children." She nodded in satisfaction.

Kittendumpling
2017-09-11, 06:53 PM
"Bugsy Malone?" Nathan piped up, thinking that might be the movie she meant. "The movie, I mean. I'm Nathan. How do you two know eachother? he asked, gesturing between Olga and Becky with the fingers that held his rapidly shortening cigarette. He had a feeling he'd be powering through his current pack pretty fast at this rate. He always smoked more when he was anxious. Meeting one new person at a time in the safety of his office was one thing. A bunch of strangers in a parking lot at night was entirely another.

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-11, 08:06 PM
There is a loud slam from a side door when a tornado or papers and file folders almost seems to carry a man out onto a pathway, where he face plants into the settling rain of documents. There is a muttered "oooooowwwwww." before the figure slowly stands, shakily wiping some fresh grass clippings from his old, moth eaten suit, then waving frantically. "HELLO! ALL OF YOU! PROFESSOR ODEL AT YOUR SERVICE!" His name is distinctly not Celtic, sounding more like "yodel" without the "y". This diminutive, thirty-ish, man wears thick glasses that seem to magnify his brown eyes to frog-like proportions, a suit that looks like it was made from refurbished, sad couch cushions from a time before unleaded gas. He seems to become aware of just how loud he yelled, striking a stealthier pose as he quickly piles all the papers and files together and makes his way over to you all.
"Dr. Professor. Ms. Kern. Ms. Allsop. Thank you for joining me today. It is just us, for now. A quiet litmus test before chosen professional colleagues to begin the slow process of substantiating my findings. My main hope today is that you all can help add some professional polish and data to my more... eccentric... findings. Come, come! The demonstration is about to start as soon as you all are ready!" He speaks quietly, furtively almost, as though there could be spies hiding anywhere. Running a hand through his stringy, thinning hair, he turns around with a small hop and quickly dashes his way forward to the door. Swiping a badge through a small slot, the door pops open. "Hurry, hurry! This could be the greatest discovery in all our fields. Possibly of all time!" Obviously excited and nervous, Professor Odel seems to barely be able to contain himself. "My lab is the third door on the left! Right across from the facilities, if any of you must stop for a moment to refresh yourselves! But please, do hurry! And save any questions for once we are behind closed doors!" He peers around the parking lot, then holds the door open for each of you, giving another "Thank you!" each time someone passes him.

Priest_Of_Banjo
2017-09-12, 01:35 AM
Blink. Blink

Well. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I don't think it was... that.

Shaking off the rather exuberant display from the Professor, Arthur walked towards the now open door and followed the directions. Dimly, at the back of his mind, idle thoughts began creeping in.

I probably should have said something to the others. I should have said something or been less... distant.

I'll talk to them after the demonstration. I'll probably have something in common with them all then.

Longes
2017-09-12, 01:28 PM
Welp, Becky's 'excentric' as usual.

Before conversation could continue, their missing host has finally arrived. At least he was cheerful. But as he rattled out greetings, Olga's eyes narrowed.
"That's Doctor Kern, Odel." The tone was vaguely menacing and the lack of Odel's own title was deliberate. She wasn't particularly attached to the "Doctor" title, not after years of being rogue, and in a casual conversation would have paid no mind. But Odel called on her for her expertise, and clearly knew who she was, which meant he was being rude. And she to not tolerate such disrespect, regardless of how harsh that would make her look to the others.

With the matter of respect squared, Olga followed into the building.

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-12, 08:51 PM
Welp, Becky's 'excentric' as usual.

Before conversation could continue, their missing host has finally arrived. At least he was cheerful. But as he rattled out greetings, Olga's eyes narrowed.
"That's Doctor Kern, Odel." The tone was vaguely menacing and the lack of Odel's own title was deliberate. She wasn't particularly attached to the "Doctor" title, not after years of being rogue, and in a casual conversation would have paid no mind. But Odel called on her for her expertise, and clearly knew who she was, which meant he was being rude. And she to not tolerate such disrespect, regardless of how harsh that would make her look to the others.

With the matter of respect squared, Olga followed into the building.

"I'm... I'm... sorry DOCTOR Kern. I apologize. I wasn't... uh... I didn't know the status of your... er... My apologies Doctor, please just this way."

Dr Odel does everything but bow his head to you to submit. He swallows loudly and brushes his hair out of the way of his face when Olga passes, making sure to speak to everyone with fawning respect and professionalism.

Kittendumpling
2017-09-13, 01:17 PM
Nothing more than a raised eyebrow of curiosity emanates from Nathan, who drops the butt of his cigarette on the tarmac and grinds it out with his shoe, sidling into the building at the rear of the group.

Kythia
2017-09-14, 06:53 AM
Becky, pausing to pick up a piece of paper from the floor and humming "We Could Have Been Anything (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_WkGHuuX0)" under her breath, enters through with a smile and a helpful "I'm not a doctor" at Dr Odel.

"I nearly was though" she continues to whoever happens to be near by. "I'm already a master. And, somehow, a bachelor. 'Rebecca Allsop: Science Master', that's what my business cards would say."

"bom bom bom bom but I'm not saying we should" she continues to herself as she reads through the piece of paper and makes her way to the third door on the left.

"It's been decided, we're weak and divided"

Priest_Of_Banjo
2017-09-14, 08:07 AM
"I was always more of a "Fat Sam's Grand Slam" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2uQQ9mMnOI) man, myself." Arthur said to Becky. "Always able to find you a table, there's room for juuuust one more..."

He smirked, twiddling the cane in his hands. "I don't think I caught you outside. I'm Professor Gordons, DOCTOR Kern." Standing outside the door, he taps it open with the cane, looking inside. "We do seem to be quite the intelligentsia gathered here this evening, wouldn't you say?"

Longes
2017-09-14, 01:41 PM
Olga smiled.
"Pleasure to meet you, Gordons. You can skip the 'doctor', now that we've all been introduced and know where everyone stands." Olga shot a sharp look at Odel. "The composition makes sense though, doesn't it? If Odel wants to show us some sort of experiment, then I'd expect either assisting experts or investors. Too early for investors, it seems."

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-15, 07:57 AM
Following the Professor's directions, you find yourself in the type of lab that can be found in underfunded high schools all over America- old, scuffed lab tables, rusted Bunsen burners in a cracked glass case, and microscopes that look like they could be in an 80's movie. However, one corner of the lab looks much more funded (though still full of antiques). Becky would spot a cobbled together chemistry lab that is rapidly bubbling, dripping, and hissing through some process it seems explicitly designed to do. Next to this lab is a ancient looking book, more dust than pages, with a curled and patchy leather cover. Olga would be reminded of instruments from old text books- a heart and pulse monitoring machine, an IV drip, and something between a dentist's chair and an asylum restraining device set up between them. The machine gives a simple and repetitive beep beep beep keeping track of the vitals of a young woman in the chair. Becky would (possibly) remember this girl- Mary Kay Juneau, a fellow drop out who had a bit too much of an attention problem for her RX of adderall to keep in check. She was still a regular to many of the more shady college parties in the area- the kind where alcohol is an afterthought to more illicit drugs, some of them distinctly against Becky's own personal code of drug use. Everyone else sees a hollow eyed girl with light blond, nearly white hair, sitting with an idle smile on her face. She gives a plaintive "Hey." and lifts her restrained hand just enough to waive. In another life this girl could have been a model- waifishly thin good looks that make the local band T-shirt she wears look glamorous, and jeans that look to have been cut open in places by a razor blade. Her feet are bare, also bound at the ankle with leather straps. "You must be the professionals. Odel said you'd be here soon. Are we doing science now?"

Odel bounds into the room (this man seems to leap where he goes, further giving the impression of a frog). "This is my volunteer, Ms. Mary Kay Juneau. She's been briefed of all the qualities of the drug were working with, including the dangers, and she is eager to go on with the experiment. To say it all in layman's terms, I have discovered a substance that allows for an out of body experience and the viewing of another plane of existence. A plan where the mysteries of the mind... and possibly more... and laid plain enough for even an inexperienced girl to unravel. Today we will be administering a dose of this drug to our volunteer and studying the results. Dr. Kern, I'd like you to monitor the patient. Ms. Allsop, I'd like you to check over my formulas- see if they can be streamlined or improved, and give your own personal opinion on how they work, as well as look at some of the other formula and see if you can make heads or tails of them. Gentlemen, you I'd like to observe the effects of the drug and determine the psychological and philosophical connotations of the work. Let's get any and all questions out of the way before beginning!" He waits, obviously eager to begin and show off his findings. It is also obvious he is completely convinced this is the biggest discovery any of you will ever be involved with.

Longes
2017-09-15, 03:40 PM
Olga's mouth curled into a predatory grin as she maneuvered to the monitoring equipment, fingers tingling with excitement. Volunteers were hard to find, especially when you can't bribe them with extra credit.
"On the scale from christian prayer to Golden Dawn, what kind of out-of-body experience are we talking about? Is she going to meet God, invisibly hover above us or go on a dream-quest of Unknown Kadath?"

Kittendumpling
2017-09-16, 10:24 PM
The thick, old tome caught Nathan's eye, and he ran his fingers over the withered cover. He couldn't resist an old book. Even boring ones. Something about how old paper smelled soothed him, without fail. He dearly wanted to open it and learn what it contained, but it did look awfully fragile. He immediately felt guilty for touching it with his bare hand. And he of all people knew it was improper to dig around in someone's else's thing without permission. Consent. Control. So fundamental to everything he did. Without those, there would be chaos and degeneration.

You can ask about this later. Pay attention to the experiment. The girl seems relaxed. Genuine comfort, or is she just a bit too breezy? Drugs? Coercion?

Nathan's mental flowchart started populating and branching like a freshly made inkblot.

"Has the participant been briefed and signed a consent agreement?"

Kythia
2017-09-18, 09:52 AM
"Has the participant been briefed and signed a consent agreement?"

Becky nods as she hauls herself up to sit on a bench. "He's right. We're not doing science no..." she trails in to a brief stare and frown at Mary Kay "...Marika? You were with that guy with the dreadlocks for a bit weren't you? Are you guys still together? Anyway. If we were doing science there'd be controls and lab rats we'd tried this on and like stuff like that. What are the guys called, the boards, that do the ethics?" She stares at Nathan for a moment then grins "Ethics Boards. Those guys."

She shrugs. "But that's all fine. Dude thinks its safe or he wouldn't have invited four strangers to watch it. You think it's safe or you wouldn't have been so chilled when we came in. I think it's safe because, well, obviously its safe for me. Everyone's happy. Let's get this show on the road." She shrugs again and looks down to pick some dead skin from the side of her thumbnail for a moment before getting distracted by the bubbling chemistry set.

What can I tell about the chemistry set? Specifically:

Is the bubbling and hissing just for show - a kid's idea of what chemistry does - or is it functional
Is it currently releasing any gases in to the room and, if so, how much of a problem is that likely to be?
Is it likely to blow up any time soon
and
If possible, what is being made/done here?

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-18, 06:42 PM
Professor Odel is eager to answer each of your questions in order. He seems to have prepared himself for most of these questions already.
"The subject does seem to uh, stay local, Dr Kern, but they have... amazing... amounts of insight into the world around them. Sometimes troubling amounts, actually. Each of you should be prepared... for her to know things she can't possibly know. And for her to babble. Nothing biblical, mind you, but the uh... primary base of the treatment does have some strong... psychotropic effects."

Becky is just learning this for herself as she looks over the chemistry set herself. The chemistry set is antiquated, but seemingly on purpose. Certain aspects of it- brass fittings, viewing lenses on clockwork arms, and even the shapes and sizes of the beakers- seem like they are chosen for aesthetic purposes, but she finds a significance to all of them as she reads on.

To Nathan, he opens one of his files and reveals a fairly detailed and extensive waiver. Multiple pages of legalese are used, but it's all fairly standard for an experiment of this type. It does mention some peculiar events that the signer has to be ok with... including but not limited to metaphysical awakenings, discovery of new senses, and... the ****ing rapture?

The text Becky reads directly references ALCHEMY. The recipe (because calling it a formula would be several hundred years too advanced) is being made as exact to the recipe as possible. Basic ingredients are being burned, boiled, and drowned in acids only to be combined, refined, and isolated. It really breaks down to two resultant substances that are later combined for two desired effects. One is bull****- salts from the Dead Sea, the eye jelly of a few animals, and most questionably the blood of a blind person who has never seen. It is described in the recipe as becoming some sort of "solvent", but none of it makes any logical sense. The second is much more practical and scientifically sound- it makes a terribly inefficient psychedelic, using a distillation of ergot and certain mushrooms that are definitely hard to come by without a lot of professional clout. It seems it's purpose IS only to be a powerful mind altering drug. The recipe mentions something archaic about "easing the bonds of the soul and the body", but the explicit function seems to be to trip balls. In fact it seems like there are perhaps better methods to get the same effect. And no, everything seems perfectly safe for now. No explosion, no gas.

Professor Odel picks up a small vial with a dropper , administering two precisely measured drops onto the tongue of Marykay, who eagerly wiggles her toes and puts out her tongue like she's anticipating fun. She smacks her lips and smiles. "Thanks, Dr. I can't believe I can trip for cash." The professor gives an awkward laugh. "I've prepared some standardized questions for the patient for our esteemed psychological and philosophical experts to ask, though I encourage you to find some of your own too. The nice things about something as informal as this is it allows a small measure of improvisation. Dr, if you wouldn't mind monitoring the subjects vitals. This has been done before, so I don't expect anything drastic in your department, but for safeties sake I always have a medical professional present whenever attempting something like that. Again, any questions, just ask."

Longes
2017-09-20, 09:19 AM
"Alrighty."
Olga began jotting down the monitor data showing Mary's normal state while peppering Mary with psychic test questions. How many fingers is she showing? (It's three) What number is she thinking of? (It's O in base-25 meaning 24) What is her mother's maiden name? (It's Kern) Does Mary have allergies? Addiction? A boyfriend?

"Becky, what's your prediction? What will this stuff do to the subject?"
Nathan didn't escape the questioning either
"Stone, at what point are we legally required to stop, if any?"

Kittendumpling
2017-09-20, 05:27 PM
Nathan nods at the waiver, satisfied with it.

"I will see what questions come to mind as we observe."

He pulls a small notebook and a stubby pen out of the back pocket of his jeans that look far less expensive than they are. Opening to a fresh page, he readies to take notes.

"Stone, at what point are we legally required to stop, if any?"

"If the participant withdraws consent, usually, so, basically if she asks for it to stop."

Longes
2017-09-20, 05:46 PM
"Noted."
Olga turned to Mary and gave a conspiratorial wink
"The safe word is 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'".

Priest_Of_Banjo
2017-09-22, 10:57 AM
Arthur simply sat to one side, withdrew a simple note pad and pencil and stared distantly at the the girl in bondage now infront of him.

Well then, let the bizarreness increase in multitudes.

Kythia
2017-09-22, 05:07 PM
"Alrighty."
"Becky, what's your prediction? What will this stuff do to the subject?"

She looks up at her name and glances round the room for a moment trying to work out who said it. Eventually settling on Olga she grins. "It's basically just ergot man. You come across that? We tried growing some but it didn't work out. Wheat just rotted, keep meaning to try again. You know they think that stuff is what caused the Witch Trials?" She nods, apparently satisfied with that as an answer.

"And some shrooms. Nothing I've tried, I'm gonna be honest" there's definite sadness in her voice "Not common, but not super strong. Put 'em all together, shake it around a bit. Better living through chemistry for all. And then some other stuff. Eye of newt, toe of bat. Probably get some sort of psychosomatic hit off those bad boys, if the set up is right" She shrugs.

"It's pretty cool though. Trying all those old alchemy stuff. That's where chemistry came from, you know. Load of the techniques and knowledge and stuff, bang from alchemy. Newton was in to it."

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-22, 07:36 PM
"The drug seems to be taking effect. We should be able to observe some of the lesser phenomena now." He sets up an audio recorder and a small camcorder on a miniature tripod on the table nearby.

Marykay nods at Olga's safe word. "Supercali...fragilistic... expedited Trojans." She giggles distantly, as though she heard the joke over a radio in the other room, and then she goes absolutely still and silent in a sudden hush. Her eyes dilate, then go to pinpricks, then dilate again, then roll up in her head in a very slow motion. Her toes flex and pop like firecrackers as she goes rigid in the chair for a moment. Then her entire body goes slack, her smile growing. Eyes still rolled up, her head turns to Olga, grinning ear to ear.
"Three fingers and no thumbs. That's not a real number! How does it equal 24? I failed that class I think... " Her smile begins to relax, and there is a small gasp as her breathing, shown on the monitor, drops down to just barely healthy levels. Her heartbeat also slows to a crawl, barely there. Her speech becomes sluggish and lethargic, almost as though a powerful drug is filtering into her system. She continues speaking... though her mouth ceases to move. A cold wind stirs through the room, though no doors or windows are open, causing the flames of the chemistry set to flicker. Her jaw goes slack, tongue obviously still, as her words start to sound, seemingly from somewhere near the top of the room. Odel begins to smile with wonder and eagerness playing across his features. "It's beginning!" Level one unnatural sanity checks, please. 1d100, roll under your mind scores.
"It's.... Korn? Like the 90's band my older brother listened to when we were little. But... shouldn't you be named after your father, not your mom? I'm sorry, I'm starting to feel weird. I don't have a boyfriend, but I have... lovers. They help me get the little pills that help me focus. I think I take too many of those. I'm not allergic to anything... but..."
Her body wrenches in the straps, like she's being turned in place by a large hand, not like a human being turning. The solid metal chair creaks quietly, and the leather makes small stretching noises. She turns and looks directly at Nathan, but her eyes are still rolled up.
"You make me feel itchy, Nathan. You make my skin crawl. I feel like... someone is tracing a razor over my skin. But it doesn't scare me. I itch because I want to push that blade in. Spill the red. That's how the person put it, right? Spilling the red for power? They had a strong accent, so it took you a moment to understand them. You still don't understand them, but maybe soon. Maybe sooner than you know."
There is that wrenching again, like her body is a screw being turned by a tool, until she meets Olga again with her vacant gaze. Her waifish body makes the chair creak more alarmingly. "He died of a bullet in the heart. His friend brought him to you, paid you up front, but he was already dead, wasn't he? Still, you beat on his chest and blew into his lungs and tried to bring him back. But there was no bringing him back. You kissed a dead man, doctor." She lets out a giggle that rings off the glass of the room, causing some distorted feedback. She slumps in the chair again, tongue lolling out of her mouth. Suddenly her voice sounds like it is coming from below the table the substance is being created on.

"Ask your questions, seekers. Together we will find the heart of this darkest alchemy." Another giggle, and then she is still.

Longes
2017-09-23, 12:50 PM
Unnatural 1 - hardened

Olga's ears perked up as the girl talked. For the first time in years she felt like she was close to something. Not the dusty old tomes in dead languages, not drunk ramblings of so-called mystics doing parlor tricks - something real and living. It looked like her companions had some nasty little secrets hidden, but now was not the time for that. Hungrily, Olga loomed over Mary and questioned:

"The essence of Death - how do I learn about it?"
She could feel the moment was fleeting. She can't learn here, but she can catch a spark that would carry her into the future.

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-27, 07:23 AM
Unnatural 1 - hardened

Olga's ears perked up as the girl talked. For the first time in years she felt like she was close to something. Not the dusty old tomes in dead languages, not drunk ramblings of so-called mystics doing parlor tricks - something real and living. It looked like her companions had some nasty little secrets hidden, but now was not the time for that. Hungrily, Olga loomed over Mary and questioned:

"The essence of Death - how do I learn about it?"
She could feel the moment was fleeting. She can't learn here, but she can catch a spark that would carry her into the future.

The body wrenches in Olga's direction and Marykay's voice takes on a slightly higher pitch, like someone is adjusting a radio. She seems unsure of her answer, but gives it readily enough. "He says... he says that you would have to die yourself and come back in a...." there is a pause for several seconds and then an exasperated cry. "He says it doesn't translate well and he'd have to tell you yourself."

Longes
2017-09-27, 01:58 PM
It was odd, to search for answers for so long and now, standing before the fount of knowledge, not knowing what to ask. She felt lost. The others asked nothing so far. Were they stunned by... this? Was something wrong?
"He? Are you in contact with something then?" Doubt and conflict showed on Olga's face. "Is it God?" That sure would be awkward. "How will he tell me? Do I pray?" She let out a defensive chuckle.

purepolarpanzer
2017-09-29, 03:05 PM
It was odd, to search for answers for so long and now, standing before the fount of knowledge, not knowing what to ask. She felt lost. The others asked nothing so far. Were they stunned by... this? Was something wrong?
"He? Are you in contact with something then?" Doubt and conflict showed on Olga's face. "Is it God?" That sure would be awkward. "How will he tell me? Do I pray?" She let out a defensive chuckle.

"He says he's nearby. And that he can talk to you all directly, and answer any questions. If I give him permission. Permission to what?" She stirs in her trance, eyes blinking and voice wavering. "Permission... to use my body?" She seems almost unaware what this means, continuing to sound curious.

Kittendumpling
2017-09-29, 03:44 PM
How could she know about that?

She had indeed described a recent session with a new client, a second generation immigrant from Bosnia who had exhibited self-harm and suicidal ideation. He was no stranger to such behaviours, but she was different, somehow, and had unsettled him a little.

Perhaps they know eachother? Could that be it?

He quickly scribbled a note about this possible link in his notebook.

"Can you describe what you're experiencing?" he asked, trying to stay focused, though an alarm bell was ringing loudly in his mind.

Longes
2017-10-02, 04:20 PM
"You've already agreed to the experiment, why not go all the way? It'll probably get you signed up for more cool drugs in the future."

Nathan's question reminded her that she was not alone here. Sharing was... unfortunate. But she'll probably have to tolerate it for now.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-04, 04:54 PM
"All the way?"

Nathan looked to Olga with a raised eyebrow.

"How do you mean?"

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-04, 05:47 PM
How could she know about that?

She had indeed described a recent session with a new client, a second generation immigrant from Bosnia who had exhibited self-harm and suicidal ideation. He was no stranger to such behaviours, but she was different, somehow, and had unsettled him a little.

Perhaps they know eachother? Could that be it?

He quickly scribbled a note about this possible link in his notebook.

"Can you describe what you're experiencing?" he asked, trying to stay focused, though an alarm bell was ringing loudly in his mind.

"It's like the whole world is turned inside out. Emotions and memories and thoughts all make you all up instead of colors and skin and eyes. I'm kinda standing over you all and looking down, but in, and out too. We're all here, you, me, all of the other scientists and stuff, plus one more. He's holding my shoulder and speaking to me, and he wants to speak to all of you. But he says he needs permission. Might be a woman, actually."

Marykay turns to Olga and blinks slowly, like it's taking effort. "So I should say yes?" She looks a little scared, and Olga can see herself in her eyes as they go wide, dilating to fill her eyes. She screams for a moment, vibrating all the glass in the room, but it fades away quickly, like she's running away. Her body goes lax, and everyone in the room hears the telltale beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep of the heart monitor kindly reminding everyone that this girl is well on her way to dying. Marykay's eyes shrink quickly as her breathing stops. Professor Odel gives a yelp. "DOCTOR HELP HER!"

Longes
2017-10-05, 12:08 PM
"Shush!" Olga glared at Odel at turned back to the patient and her monitors.
There was time. She knew what she was doing. If this was possession - the girl will wake up herself. If it wasn't, then in three minutes Olga will resuscitate her. In preparation she removed Marykay's shirt for clear access to the chest.

(To Nathan) "If she's just tripping balls then nothing I say to her matters. If there's an actual spirit talking to her, then the request likely means that the spirit wants to possess her. So I'm saying she should let it. Exorcisms can be figured out later, if you are that concerned."
OOC: Olga will delay resuscitation until the last moment, drawing on her Noble passion if necessary.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-05, 05:24 PM
"Shush!" Olga glared at Odel at turned back to the patient and her monitors.
There was time. She knew what she was doing. If this was possession - the girl will wake up herself. If it wasn't, then in three minutes Olga will resuscitate her. In preparation she removed Marykay's shirt for clear access to the chest.

(To Nathan) "If she's just tripping balls then nothing I say to her matters. If there's an actual spirit talking to her, then the request likely means that the spirit wants to possess her. So I'm saying she should let it. Exorcisms can be figured out later, if you are that concerned."
OOC: Olga will delay resuscitation until the last moment, drawing on her Noble passion if necessary.

Fear Stimulus: Darkness (Helplessness)
Noble Stimulus: Someone in crisis

Nathan went pale at the sound, the loss of loved ones woven into its tone. Deaths he had been powerless to prevent. The helplessness that usually dripped into his heart through a pinhole became a torrent, as he stared down the prospect of witnessing another death.

"Whatever she needs," he answered Olga, staring at Marykay with dread. "Dr Odel, do you have adrenaline ready? I don't even think we should wait as long as three minutes. Tell her to say yes and get ready to revive her."

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-05, 08:36 PM
Fear Stimulus: Darkness (Helplessness)
Noble Stimulus: Someone in crisis

Nathan went pale at the sound, the loss of loved ones woven into its tone. Deaths he had been powerless to prevent. The helplessness that usually dripped into his heart through a pinhole became a torrent, as he stared down the prospect of witnessing another death.

"Whatever she needs," he answered Olga, staring at Marykay with dread. "Dr Odel, do you have adrenaline ready? I don't even think we should wait as long as three minutes. Tell her to say yes and get ready to revive her."

"I hadn't prepared for this! She was a prime test subject, no history of heart concerns. No evidence to point to any concerns like this! Let me check the medkit I did bring, see if there is anything for a circumstance like this!" Professor Odel slams a heavy duty (but dated) army style medical kit onto a table and opens it with a metallic crash. He's obviously not standing up to the pressure very well, shaking like a leaf, but he opens up the several layers of the kit and gives a stark cry of relief. "Adrenaline! Right here! I... oh... damn..." His hands shake further when he looks at the needle and he gives a small whimper, holding it out like someone holding a terrifically horrible insect. "I can't do needles! I didn't think we'd need a needle! That's why I made the drug into a concentrated droplet! Please, someone, give it to her quick! The little diagram next to it says we should jam it in and give her the heart in the shot! I mean shot in the heart! Oh dear Christ someone save her!"

While precious seconds go by Marykay's eyes remain vacant. Her body looks frail and weak as the life slowly dribbles out of it. Her mouth, however, pulls up into an almost perverse grin. "This is the border, Olga. The border between life and death. The border I can show you. It's wasted on this waif of a girl, but OH, Olga. OH OLGA. The things I could show you. One step across the border leaves you with one foot still behind in life." Her mouth doesn't mimic the laughter that follows. This voice is obviously male, booming loud, resonating through the whole room. Then it picks up in a shockingly accurate impression of Gene Wilder. "Come with me, and we'll be, in a WORLD of PURE IMAGINATION!" Her eyes don't move, but the voice's attention obviously shifts. "I can teach all of you. ALL of you. Becky. Nathan. Olga. Arthur." It is at this point that Professor Gordons flees from the room, giving a small cry as he slams the lab door open behind him. The voice continues. "Maybe not Arthur, it seems, but for each of you I know someone who can teach you. And all you have to do to start is get me my books. They have detailed information on magic users. MAGICS of POWER YOU COULD NOT COMPREHEND. Find the keeper in the town of Daisies, in the land of William Penn. You'll know him by the devil on his back, in a den of thieves and highwaymen. He holds the keys to my books. I care not how you convince him to give you the key, but know I will be nearby. You can summon me with the drug. Summon me with the drug." There is a change of tone, a sense of urgency staining the smug voice. "The Cruel Ones come. I cannot stay. Summon me with the drug when you have the key!" The voice fades away just as the two minute fifteen second mark goes by, Marykay's body quickly becoming cold meat in the chair. Several glass cases around the room burst simultaneously, but the chemistry set remains pristine, bubbling away and dripping distillation it was designed for. The lights flicker as a young girl lays dead, but not gone.

We've lost a player, but we're not done yet. You can use your noble passion, Longes. I also still need a reworked sheet from you for my record keeping. Time to save a life or buy shovels, everyone.

Longes
2017-10-05, 11:44 PM
I sent you my character sheet via PM, remember? In any case, it's linked as a google doc in my signature.
Personally, I'm okay if we only have two players.
Will post later today

Medicine: [roll0] - Ta da! No passion needed.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-06, 08:30 AM
I sent you my character sheet via PM, remember? In any case, it's linked as a google doc in my signature.
Personally, I'm okay if we only have two players.
Will post later today

Medicine: [roll0] - Ta da! No passion needed.

That's right. Thanks, sorry, I was quite tired when I posted that. Now just waiting for other responses before proceeding.

Longes
2017-10-06, 09:15 AM
"ODEL! Shut up and go sit in the corner!" Olga's hand clamped down on Odel's, voice cold enough to wither flowers. "You brought me in as a doctor - you get me as a doctor, let me do my job."
She quickly rummaged through the box for epinephrine and with precision jammed both into the dying girl's heart.
"Nathan, I'll do compressions, on my count do mouth-to-mouth."

Kittendumpling
2017-10-06, 04:21 PM
"ODEL! Shut up and go sit in the corner!" Olga's hand clamped down on Odel's, voice cold enough to wither flowers. "You brought me in as a doctor - you get me as a doctor, let me do my job."
She quickly rummaged through the box for epinephrine and with precision jammed both into the dying girl's heart.
"Nathan, I'll do compressions, on my count do mouth-to-mouth."

Nathan had already been rounding on the adrenaline, but was relieved when Olga grabbed it and plunged it into the girl expertly.

He hurried to Marykay's side and nodded at Olga's instruction.

"Yes ma'am," he said, getting ready to take a deep breath.

Mind 60 (http://orokos.com/roll/556132): 1d100 70

How do I go about flip-flopping that?

Longes
2017-10-06, 04:30 PM
A flip-flop of 70 would be 07.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-08, 06:14 PM
A flip-flop of 70 would be 07.

I know that much. That would make it a great success rather than catastrophic failure. I was more checking if I need to do anything additional or mark something off to do that.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-09, 08:17 AM
I know that much. That would make it a great success rather than catastrophic failure. I was more checking if I need to do anything additional or mark something off to do that.

Shouldn't have to worry about it. We'll just say roughly that you can only invoke your Passions once per scenario. I'll let you know if it's been too soon.

Odel literally does as Olga says, eyes riveted on the needles that are coming out to save the young girl. He gives a whimper as Olga prepares to inject them. Olga knows the hardest part is getting through the tough flesh surrounding the heart, and has to put some oomph to get them in, but with expert care she does just this, plugging in one syringe, ramming the plunger, then switching out and repeating the process with the next. Nathan leans in close to prepare for his part in this resurrection, only to have Marykay shoot forward with a loud wheezing gasps, ramming her face against his. Her eyes flutter open, and without hesitation she begins kissing him feverishly, tongue inserting in his mouth until she realizes she is suffocating against him. She draws back, pulling in air like the precious resource it is to her. "Holy **** that was amazing! Best trip ever! Holy ****!" She coughs and hacks, the exertion of dying catching up with her. Odel gives a small cry of victory from the other side of the room, slowly approaching again. "Thank you both so much! Thank you!" Marykay finally manages to catch her breath, looking to have a feeling of ecstasy shivering through her entire body. "God, I either need a good **** or to do that again."

Kittendumpling
2017-10-09, 09:34 AM
Nathan is frozen in shock for a moment as Marykay grabs him, and her ferocity makes his skin bristle, but he quickly regains himself and pulls back, eyes wide and anxious.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! blares in his mind, and he looks around the room, dearly hoping that hadn't looked like he'd initiated it. That was the kind of thing that lost people like him everything.

He steps back and observes Marykay's levity.

"It's likely the adrenaline, and having survived a near-death experience," he manages, his mouth feeling thick and awkward. "Are the voices gone?"

Longes
2017-10-09, 05:27 PM
Olga grinned devilishly.
"Oh my, Nathan! You see an opportunity and you go for it. Becky and I should be careful around you! Tisk tisk tisk"

Although, however fun it was to tease, there was still a matter of their subject. And they'll have to talk about doing a job for the wonka-quoting demon - the least trustworthy kind of demons.
"Mary, what do you remember?"

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-09, 06:39 PM
Olga grinned devilishly.
"Oh my, Nathan! You see an opportunity and you go for it. Becky and I should be careful around you! Tisk tisk tisk"

Although, however fun it was to tease, there was still a matter of their subject. And they'll have to talk about doing a job for the wonka-quoting demon - the least trustworthy kind of demons.
"Mary, what do you remember?"
"Voices? What voices? I remember Dr. Olga's tests, and the pretty color blue of your thoughts, Mr Nathan, but I don't remember any voices. Things did get weird there for a moment before I came to... my chest kinda hurts... you say I had a near death experience? I don't remember that... Professor Odel, did I die?"
The professor gapes for a moment and then stutters his way to an answer. "Well, there was an incident... a most curious incident... where for just a few minutes... your stop did heart. I mean, your heart did stop. I'll of course, be paying for you to get a full medical check up immediately. As in come with me now. I feel obligated to take you now. Uh, colleagues, if you don't mind me leaving..." He roots around in his coat and hands each of you an envelope filled with ten crisp fifty dollar bills. "For your time and expertise. I'll be in contact soon to go over your findings. If you wouldn't mind leaving your phone numbers... just write them on the chalkboard... we'll reconvene once you each have time to go over your... experiences..." He rapidly unstraps Marykay and begins to hustle her out of the room. "I'm sure you both agree that getting our subject checked out is of the utmost importance."

Just like that you're left alone, with only the words of of the Professor and the words of some sort of supernatural creature.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-09, 06:56 PM
Nathan stiffens at Olga's chiding, his cheeks feeling hot.

"That wasn't me. It was her. I'd never do that to a patient," he protested, after Dr Odel fled with Marykay. "It seems she was not in control of herself, since she doesn't seem to recall things she was reporting to us. She definitely seemed to be experiencing auditory hallucinations."

He shakes his head in bemusement, and goes to the blackboard, writing his cellphone number as neatly as he can despite his trembling hands. What he'd witnessed disturbed him more than even his most troublesome clients.

Longes
2017-10-10, 09:17 AM
Olga considers teasing Nathan some more, but decides to lay off for now and instead joins him in writing her number.

"Odel sure was in a hurry to leave us, wasn't he? Fishy guy, Odel. Becks, you okay there?" She called out to the stupefied chemist.
Olga grabs the occult tome from the table and starts reading the pages it was open on.
"I'm not convinced that those were hallucinations. The possession seemed real enough, though there are certainly options. One, this could be the weirdest scam. Two, she could be hallucinating. And third, it could have been a real possession. Personally - I am intriguied. Care to join me in the search for this "town of Daisies, in the land of William Penn"? It would certainly help us determine if this was a hallucination or not. And Pensilvania's not that far."

By now I assume Kythia has bailed on us, but if that's okay I'd still like to keep the character around as Olga's chemist friend.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-10, 09:55 AM
Olga considers teasing Nathan some more, but decides to lay off for now and instead joins him in writing her number.

"Odel sure was in a hurry to leave us, wasn't he? Fishy guy, Odel. Becks, you okay there?" She called out to the stupefied chemist.
Olga grabs the occult tome from the table and starts reading the pages it was open on.
"I'm not convinced that those were hallucinations. The possession seemed real enough, though there are certainly options. One, this could be the weirdest scam. Two, she could be hallucinating. And third, it could have been a real possession. Personally - I am intriguied. Care to join me in the search for this "town of Daisies, in the land of William Penn"? It would certainly help us determine if this was a hallucination or not. And Pensilvania's not that far."

By now I assume Kythia has bailed on us, but if that's okay I'd still like to keep the character around as Olga's chemist friend.

"I'm ok. Good really. Little hungry. I don't think I'm going to go with you guys though. I'd like to stay and work with this formula. Try to improve it. Produce it. Maybe sample it. No, not sample it. Bad Becky. Not without medical supervision. There are other recipes I'd like to try to make too."

The tome is all but incomprehensible to anyone without a serious interest in chemistry and the ability to translate old English. There are many more recipes in the book, everything from "ye olde foote pouder" to "pox preventative". It will take serious time to work these out, but Becky seems up to it.

I am seeking replacements as we speak. Up for keeping Becky as an NPC, but soon others will be coming to fill our missing spots.

Longes
2017-10-10, 03:14 PM
As was said before, if we don't find anyone - I'm totally cool with having only two people. I'm quite partial to small/solo games :smalltongue:

Kittendumpling
2017-10-11, 06:27 PM
Having been curious about the tome upon entering the room, Nathan looked over Olga's shoulder as she leafed through it's ancient pages.

"Um, ok, yes, I'll go too. I do want to know what all that was. I've never seen anything like it. I'll need to make some arrangements first, but we could exchange numbers and head out once that's done? Or we could arrange to meet at the other end? I only need a day to make some calls and see that my clients and house are going to be safe in my absence."

Longes
2017-10-12, 08:39 AM
"My number's on the board genius. Need a lift? To Pensilvania."

With tome giving no new insight [does Occult tell me anything based on the name and author?], Olga pulls out her phone and loads the university's web page, looking through the employees for Odel and any contact information on him. After that, she's going to go home and relax after a stressful day with some animal grooming and bike tinkering.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-12, 10:29 AM
"I have a car, but thanks."

Nathan took out his phone and added Olga's number.

"So, was that a vote for meeting at the other end, or do you want to convoy this trip? We could meet back here once we're ready."

Longes
2017-10-12, 11:13 AM
"Sure, let's convoy. I figure we should do some research on what we are looking, before we throw ourselves into the unknown. So... a day after tomorrow, at 5am? Sunrise, daylight driving and working hours in Pen."

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-12, 05:22 PM
"Sure, let's convoy. I figure we should do some research on what we are looking, before we throw ourselves into the unknown. So... a day after tomorrow, at 5am? Sunrise, daylight driving and working hours in Pen."

Rolled for ya. Got an 18, so here's some info. So we've got a meeting time and place. Anyone need to do anything before a time skip?

Olga does know something of the name of the author. Mancini Del Tarro is a 12th century alchemist of some renown in occult circles for being an eccentric. Considering all alchemists of that time were easily called "eccentric", that's saying something. He was known for some advanced theories, some half-baked silliness, and, if rumors are true, some real, grade-A, genuine alchemy. It's said he managed to turn lead into gold, people into frogs, and even cure bad breath.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-12, 06:25 PM

"Deal. Right, well, see you the day after tomorrow then. Take care."

Nathan lights a cigarette immediately on leaving the building, and drives home in a daze, replaying the whole event in his head over and over, trying to make sense of it. It was still bothering him while trying to sleep, back in his own house. He'd stayed up late looking through various academic papers, journals, and diagnostic manuals, trying to find a rational explanation for what he'd seen. While there was a lot of crossover with psychological and neurological conditions, nothing fitted perfectly. Eventually, he gave up and slumped into bed, exhausted. It was almost dawn before he fell asleep.

After only a few hours of sleep, his usual alarm went off, but rather than signalling a new day of work, it woke him long enough to call his secretary, asking her to reschedule all his appointments for the next week. He wasn't sure how long he'd be away, but he figured a week would give some wriggle room. He felt rather guilty for the short notice, but another, deeper part of him felt a growing excitement at the prospect of investigating the unknown. After some more catch-up sleep, he packed some essentials in a hold-all, including the handgun he kept in a locked box for emergencies only. No sense in leaving it here when he'd be away, since it was essentially for him to point at a burglar. His paranoia about the security of his home meant it was practically a stronghold anyway. He'd never had a break-in. He still asked his neighbour, Wendy, to keep an eye on the place anyway.

He got to the parking lot a little early on the agreed day, and leaned on the bonnet of the car, chain-smoking and sipping from a to-go coffee cup while he waited for Olga. A second cup sat on the bonnet next to him, and the passenger seat of the car contained several bags of snacks.

Longes
2017-10-13, 07:37 AM
Sorry, a bit busy. Will post Olga's downtime breakdown tomorrow-ish

Kittendumpling
2017-10-13, 12:51 PM
Sorry, a bit busy. Will post Olga's downtime breakdown tomorrow-ish

No apology needed. :) Hope all is well!

Longes
2017-10-17, 04:07 AM
Olga hangs back a bit, looking through the books and equipment and the lab in general. Odel was an unknown, and such things bothered her. If this was his lab - then things can be learned from it, personality and interests can be read from the patterns of clutter the way a fortune teller reads one's palm.

The drive home passed in a blur. She wasn't a particularly skilled driver, no more than any random person on the street, but the motorcycle was a source of peace to her, like an island of control in the worldly chaos. At home Olga put the bike in the garage and went through every little detail that could break on the way to Pensilvania. It was a form of meditation - tinkering with things. A road to satori and from that enlightened state - back, to understanding of the universe, to the instinctual feel for interplay of wiring and gears. She sat there for hours, cleaning, tightening, polishing. The sun was on a steady way down when Olga finally put the machine back together, the rumbling stomach reminding of the body's need for maintenance. She briefly considered making fresh chicken parmesan, but laziness won in the face of effort needed to defeather and carve up the chicken, and the cleaning that'd follow. Frozen pizza it is.

In the morning Olga made preparations for tomorrow. A walk to the grocery story netted a bag of supplies, a blank notebook and pens, and other useful travelling goodies like duct tape. Just in case Olga put a taser in with the things. Checking in on the animals revealed that automatic feeders were working and full. It was somewhat lucky that Becky was late on brewing the latest batch of neurotoxins and all animals were doing well. The rest of the day went to googling things about Pensilvania and trying to find anything that matches the clues they were given.

Driving up to the agreed meeting place, Olga waved to Nathan and raised the shield of her helmet. "Yo, partner! Ready for an adventure?"

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-17, 02:36 PM
As Olga approaches and Nathan turns to look at her, a strange sight greets the two of you. Nathan knows for a fact that it wasn't there when he first arrived, and he certainly doesn't remember it being there while he waited. A large owl lies dead on the ground, it's beak buried in the throat of a cat, who in turn has it's teeth buries in the neck of the owl. This must have gone on silently for Nathan to have missed it. The lump of fur and feathers is about fifteen feet from his car, between him and Olga. The sky has clouded over and threatens rain, which should wash away the small puddle of blood forming underneath the feline and avian foes.

Longes
2017-10-17, 02:56 PM
Olga blinks in surprise.
"What's with the ****ed up Ouroboros?"
She gets off the bike and approaches the curiosity for a closer look.

I have submitted my thesis and now possess freedom to play games! I am alive!

https://i.imgflip.com/1tocce.jpg

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-17, 06:13 PM
Olga blinks in surprise.
"What's with the ****ed up Ouroboros?"
She gets off the bike and approaches the curiosity for a closer look.

I have submitted my thesis and now possess freedom to play games! I am alive!

https://i.imgflip.com/1tocce.jpg

There are no signs of a struggle from the pair of dead animals. No claws, no scattered feathers, so splashes of blood. To Olga's medical sensibilities it appears as if someone placed them here like this. Or they just appeared. The fight seems to have consisted only of two simultaneous killing blows.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-17, 07:49 PM
Nathan had been idly staring at the sky, daydreaming, and had stood up when he heard Olga's bike pull up, but turning to look drew his eyes to the grotesque entanglement between them.

"****ing hell!" he exclaimed, putting down his coffee cup on the roof of the car and walking over.

"Those were not there a minute ago. That's really ****ing creepy."

He started to look around for any sign of other people, and into the sky again, reminded suddenly of the narrative podcast he'd listened to a while back, about a glowing cloud that dropped dead animals.

"I have literally no idea where they came from. I'm pretty sure I'd have heard if they'd been fighting this close to my car."

He looked at Olga, in the hope she might know something.

Longes
2017-10-18, 04:02 AM
"Clearly this is an omen of us getting locked in an eternal battle that will destroy us both." Olga's tone is completely deadpan, but the eyes show that she's not really serious.

"Well, nothing we can really do about them, they are dead. Unless you want to put them in the trunk we should get moving."

Kittendumpling
2017-10-18, 04:59 PM
"I have no desire to put dead animals in my car. I'm good to go. I brought you a coffee. Do you want it? In my plan, we'd have had a few minutes to drink up before leaving. I hadn't factored in... well, this."

He indicated the corpses.

Longes
2017-10-18, 05:45 PM
"Sure, thanks."
Olga appreciatevily takes the coffee.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-18, 06:21 PM
Twenty minutes of Googling led you both to the same location- Daisytown, Pennsylvania. The cryptic olden speak isn't very stealthy. Wikipedia says that it is a town of just 326 souls, next to a larger city. Olga discovered (through a casual search on a biker website that she visited occasionally) that Daisytown is the home of the Original Hell's Harbingers, a regional biker gang whose members live in the area. It's an old clubhouse, dating back to the late fourties. They are known for being secretive and inclusive, with generations of families taking part. They run the whole racket of toy drives, charities, and fundraisers expected of a club these days, but are still known for their ruthless violence. Oddly, they seem to avoid many charges, along with nearly all convictions. The club's patch features a large, leering demon with a sword made of bone. They seem to be based out of a local bar along the highway that has a history as long as the MC's- The False Prophet. The dive bar has a periodic history of fights in the local police arrests, and just a few deaths in the local newspaper across it's seventy year history. If that is your destination, it will be a five hour drive through some of the least interesting parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania to a remote section of the highway. It's just a GPS program away.

Longes
2017-10-19, 03:33 PM
Olga drives slightly ahead of Nathan and turns on the music on her intercom, consisting mostly of jazz rock, rock and some russian classics. "Turn" (https://youtu.be/tHF9UN5ZxNg) by the Time Machine opens the list. From personal experience she knew that bikers tend to be fairly nice on the inside, if you can get in with them. Which, of course, was an if, especially for a girl. And if they aren't... Well, perhaps Nathan has the makings of a hero in him.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-20, 09:44 PM
It was easy to daydream on the rather dull roads they had to take, Nathan's gaze wandering around, looking for something, anything, of interest, while keeping just enough of an eye on the road to be safe and ensure he & Olga didn't lose eachother. He had started the journey with a classical radio station, but along with the monotony of the drive, he started to find it too soporific, and one-handedly plugged his phone into the dash and hit shuffle on his 'Current Earworms' playlist. Tapping his fingers on the wheel along with The Protomen's 'The Hounds', he felt a little more energised. By the time 'Wait For It' from the Hamilton soundtrack came on, he was singing along. It was all he could do to take his mind off the bizarre events he was now on his way to investigate. It occurred to him that this, dropping everything he worked hard for, to go stumbling cluelessly down a rabbit hole with a total stranger, was probably the most irresponsible thing he'd ever done, and he wondered what that said about his life up to this point.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-22, 07:32 PM
The long hours pass by uneventfully, with your GPS taking you a relatively straight path to your destination. It being on the highway helps with that immensely. The weather holds clear, though it threatens to downpour a few times during the drive. However, no more creepiness or supernatural occurrences- just easy driving down a straight road.

When getting close to your destination, the ground becomes hilly, getting steeper and more severe as you go. The road rises and falls in succession before coming around to twist along what could be called a small mountain. On the curviest part of the road, you see a large, aged sign reading "THE FALSE PROPHET", just before a huge U-shaped driveway taking up a massive part of the internal shoulder. The parking lot is pretty scarce as you pull in, the bar laid out before you like a buffet of sin. It consists of a large central building, bent like an "L" along the driveway and parking lot, and this obviously houses the main bar. There are dozens of beer signs, liquor decals, and motorcycle slogans across the front of this building, and honest to goodness batwing doors, right out of a wild west saloon. The windows are small, ranging from ancient portals with cracked glass to newer models that look terribly out of place with the sagging, aged construction.

The dirt parking lot holds a beaten down small car that looks to be about a thousand dings and dents beyond it's warranty, two trucks in similar shape, half a dozen motorcycles pulled up right next to each other, and one expensive looking town car that looks as out of place as an ostrich egg in a nest of chicken eggs. Someone has already keyed one side of it rather nastily in a curved and sharp scar of broken paint. It's early afternoon, and the crowd is clearly light, with plenty of space left in the parking lot for more bikes. A small barn or garage sits next to the building with both bay doors closed, lights off.

There is a strange feeling in the air of pressure, like an oncoming storm front, and there is a thick bank of clouds covering half the sky, dark and angry as a fresh bruise. A potbellied man wearing a leather vest over chaps and blue jeans flicks a smoke in your direction and heads into the bar, and for the moment the two of you are alone in the lonely driveway, anticipation and nerves sharp on the firm wind.

Longes
2017-10-24, 03:11 PM
I keep waiting for Kittendumpling to post first, and he never does :smalltongue:

"What a cheery place!" Olga parked her bike in the line, got up and walked over to Nathan's car. "You should probably find a more tolerant parking place," she waved at the keyed car "unless you are feeling brave. Don't worry. I'll wait." Olga winked. Really, walking for a bit after the long drive would be nice.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-25, 06:17 PM
Sorry. :(

"Yeah, if I park here, I'm just asking for my car to be ruined or stolen. I'll be back shortly."

Nathan drives away to find a less shady place to park, and returns on foot a while later.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-25, 07:04 PM
Sorry. :(

"Yeah, if I park here, I'm just asking for my car to be ruined or stolen. I'll be back shortly."

Nathan drives away to find a less shady place to park, and returns on foot a short while later.

"In some trees has got to be safer, right?" he joked, though he was clearly anxious.

"So, here goes. Do you know how to defend yourself if this place turns out to be as rough as it looks?"
Backing Up For Just a Moment

It takes a while to find a safer place to park. It's about 1/4 mile away, but it is a nice little dirt turnaround shaded by some trees. It's out of the way, and there is still plenty of room for another car to turn around. All in all, you feel quite safe parking there. Then you hear a hoot when you shut off the car. Followed by a feline hiss as you step out of the doorway. There is no trace of any animal other than a lonely snail making its way away from the back tire of the car. It's a miracle he didn't get run down. The trip back is far less alarming.

While Olga is alone, she gains a sense that she is being watched. It doesn't take more than a second for her to spot a figure standing in the doorway. He steps out into the dull daylight and lights a cigarette. He gives a congenial wave, neither aggressive nor jeering, but steeped in simple politeness. A near seven foot man with pale skin and shining, bouncing auburn hair down to his shoulders, he smiles, teeth white over an impressive foot long beard with jewelry woven into it. They seem to be either Celtic or Nordic in nature, like many of the patches on his jacket. Roll Notice and Occult. He turns away, exhaling smoke from his nose. There is a flash of heavy metal music, and he swiftly draws his phone from his pocket and answers. Looking shocked, he only listens for a few moments before pocketing the phone, entering the bar, and shouting "EVERYBODY MOVE OUT! Pres needs us YESTERDAY! Hurry the **** up!". There is a rush of movement as the bar seems to empty of bikers, one for each of the parked hogs outside. They don't act like fool-hardy weekenders. They move like a unit, a flock of birds, hustling out and mounting up. Each man bares a leather vest or jacket with the same grinning satanic figure as everyone else- Hell's Harbingers. They roar off, accelerating immediately and going out of sight. They flash past Nathan on his return.

Now the bar is quiet. The door stands open before you, one side having stuck on it's hinge from being slammed open.

No worries, all. We're keeping a good pace. Time for things to get fun though.

Longes
2017-10-26, 10:55 AM
It's fine, relax :P

Occult (30): [roll0]
Notice (30): [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-26, 02:47 PM
Olga doesn't get a very good look at the jewelery that hangs from the lead biker's beard, but as he jogs by her to get to his bike she does catch one glance at the most prominent one- something of a hybrid between a Celtics knot and a serpent, displayed across multiple beads. It appears to be circling his entire beard, crossing itself and looping around to meet its own tail. This bastardization of Celtics and Norse imagery is quite a popular symbol in the occult groups coming to America during the Civil War. This guy has old school tastes and either some knowledge of the ethereal or dumb luck in picking his decorations.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-26, 08:41 PM
Whoops! Sorry for jumping too far ahead. I've edited my previous post.

Nathan finds the sight of the snail odd, but he hasn't got time to hang around. The noises though, he'll need to tell Olga about those. An owl and a cat, like what they saw in the parking lot before they set out.

He smokes a cigarette on the walk back, helping to take some of the tension out of his body, but it all undoes itself as he approaches the bar to see a horde of bikers scream past him in a roar of exhaust fumes.

He picks up the pace, trotting up to Olga.

"What's their hurry? Did something happen?"

Longes
2017-10-27, 02:14 PM
"I don't know, but this is our guy."

[OOC: I'm not entirely sure how this scene looks in your mind's eye mr. GM. If to Olga it looks feasible to follow these guys with Nathan...]
Olga hops back on the bike and motions to Nathan to follow. "These are our guys. I don't know where they are rushing, but their leader is an occultist. We should follow them."[Otherwise]
"These are our guys. I don't know where they are rushing, but their leader is an occultist. Let's go into the bar and ask around. Can you check the local news for anything interesting happening? Might give us a clue for where they are rushing."
With that said, Olga confidently walks into the bar and takes a seat close to the barkeep. "Did someone challenge them or something? Those guys were in a rush." It's early in the day, so Olga looks through non-alcoholic drinks to order.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-27, 02:50 PM
Following them would be quite risky, in Olga's estimation. These guys are hauling ass to get somewhere, and probably don't want any bystanders. The safer bet would be to explore inside the bar, and either try to find out what's going on or to shake something else out of the prophecy you are working on. So I'm going to assume we'll go with that.

The bar is a dive or a dump, take your pick. The floorboards are cracked and creak under your feet like old joints. Nearly every bit of the walls is covered like the outside- oil signs, beer flyers, the occasional pinup. There are multiple dart boards and pool tables, though it looks like the felt has been shredded on one. The bar is an old fashioned wrap around with a brass rail for kicking up your boots, with a scarred and gouged bar top. The rest of the place is filled with a small kitchen, a hallway marked "His and Hers ****ters", and tables with one ashtray and four wooden chairs apiece, almost entirely empty now that the mid afternoon crowd has flow the coop. The bar tender is a solid looking fellow in a stained smock cleaning a glass with a prosthetic hook holding the rag. He gives Olga an appraising nod when she sits, putting down the glass and using his real hand to twist the corners of his handlebar mustache.

"Club business. Not something either of us needs to privy to, Miss. Just know we're both better of waiting here till they get back. Then we'd be happy to show a beautiful lady like yourself an enjoyable time. Nothing too forward, mind you, Miss. We're deranged, outlaw, maniacs, but we know how to be respectful. It's so important it's on the wall." He gestures with the hook towards a large chalkboard that has scribbles of graffiti, personal messages, and the like on it, but also has "CLUB RULES" written prominently along most of it. There are just three- "1. KEEP QUIET. 2. KEEP LOYAL. 3. RESPECT BITCHES."

The other people left in the bar include an old, washed out looking drunk who sits on the far side and nurses a tall beer in morose silence. He's wearing rumpled looking army surplus gear, including a wicked looking knife. There are two other fellows, but I'll allow them to introduce themselves. The selection of non-alcoholic drinks is pretty limited, including your basic list of soda and any juices or syrups a well-stocked bar would have.

Maxim and Sid have been in the bar for about an hour now. Their contact is supposed to be a member of the Hell's Harbingers, but one with only one eye. No one who you've seen in the bar yet today matches that description, so the two of you have decided to wait for him to show. It is currently about twenty minutes from the meeting time set by the two of you in your online correspondence with "Hellbringer667", your contact's name on the message board you managed to drag this meeting out of. The bikers gave you the occasional threatening look, and you hear a few jokes muttered involving "rich kids" and "college punks". Suddenly they are gone in a flash, and a couple of people enter the bar right behind them. You two should feel free to describe yourselves, maybe hint at what you are doing in the bar,
and your reactions to the newcomers entering.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-27, 03:32 PM
At Olga's suggestion, Nathan pulls out his phone and starts searching for local news stories. He also opens a second tab to search for locations associated with the Hell's Harbingers.

What manner of roll would it be to look for relevant stuff?

thelastorphan
2017-10-27, 04:57 PM
When they arrived Maxim had not been sure this was a good idea anymore. Doing research about a group and looking at pictures was one thing. Being here was another. He prepared himself somewhat. Wore slightly dirty clothes, things a little more common. He didn't really want to be recognized. Acid wash jeans, AC/DC t-shirt. Trying to blend in a bit.

He kept mostly to Syd, asking the barkeep a few questions, keeping an eye out for their contact. The 'Club Rules' did not endear him to this place anymore than the myriad of rough and tumble gangers. Just when He had felt like he had been here too long nearly everyone in the place took off all at once. Sounded like some kind of emergency.

Turning to Syd. What do you suppose that was about? And do you think it has anything to do with our guy?

Maxim got nervous, flipping through his mp3 player for something relaxing. Sipping on a rum and coke. He didn't want to seem square at not having a drink in a dive bar.

His nerves calmed when two more people who didn't quite looked like they belong came in. At least there were other normal people here, if anyone willing to come here could be called normal.

Maxim is about 5'10 dusty brown hair tied back and pale skin that implies he doesn't quite get enough sun. Lithe and attractive he looks a little tired and frazzled beneath his narrow rectangular glasses and fiddling with his iPod classic.

purepolarpanzer
2017-10-27, 06:13 PM
At Olga's suggestion, Nathan pulls out his phone and starts searching for local news stories. He also opens a second tab to search for locations associated with the Hell's Harbingers.

What manner of roll would it be to look for relevant stuff?

I'll give it to you because of your strong mind score. You know how to google. There is a flash report on the local news about a fire at an old hunting camp associated with the Hell's Harbingers MC. No one is at the scene yet, but it is supposed to be quite the blaze.

Kittendumpling
2017-10-27, 07:34 PM
"Hey Olga, I found something, maybe," Nathan said, not looking up from the screen. "I cross-referenced a local news site with a page that lists locations the Hell's Harbingers have been sighted. There's a flash report just gone up about a fire at an old hunting camp associated with the Hell's Harbingers MC. No one is at the scene yet, but it is supposed to be quite the blaze. Sounds like that might be what cleared them out of here."

atlastrembles
2017-10-30, 12:06 PM
Syd looks up from the old and tattered Moleskine he had been doodling in and flipping aimlessly through as the bikers rush out of the bar and the two decidedly-not-bikers enter in their frenzied wake. Without trying to appear too obvious, he takes their measure and holds in a frown when he sees that neither is possessed of that most noticeable of cyclopean traits. A bit dejected, he orders another shot of whiskey and a beer from the bartender, slinging back the spirit with a practiced ease and lining up his third little soldier on the bar in front of him.

He casts a glance at the newcomers and, catching whichevers' eye, nods casually in their direction. Never hurts to be friendly, specially in a place like this he thinks, before turning back his to drinks and Max's question.

Well, Max-my-mate, whatever spooked the **** out of the bikers most certainly doesn't not have anything to do with our meeting, don't you think? A little too coincidental for my liking, anyway.

Finishing his drink, Syd hoists his beer bottle and says hello to the new patrons. Ahoy there, newbies! What brings Mom and Dad to the dive bar because you sure as hell ain't bikers. Buy us a drink, why don't you? Max is a *****, so he prefers rum.

Syd is approximately 6 feet tall, shaggy dirty blond hair, and blue eyed. He speaks with an off-British accent, the result of years of private schooling in India. He's wearing a well-worn hoodie and jeans, with a utilitarian black windbreaker draped over the back of his stool. Underneath the hoodie is a halfway rumbled OCBD with a loosened linen tie. He wears several bracelets around his wrists, some leather, some simple string.

Longes
2017-10-30, 02:12 PM
Apologies, I unexpectedly went on a journey. Will return to regular posting in a day or two

Kittendumpling
2017-10-30, 10:50 PM
Nathan is surprised to be spoken to, especially in a clearly not local accent. He prods his glasses further up his nose and gives an awkward but amiable smile. This fellow seems considerably less intimidating than the bikers, at least.

"Oh, um, we're not together, well, not like that. Not in a Mom & Dad way, I mean."

Nathan lets out a small chuckle that belies his tension. Syd can tell a fish out of water when he sees one.

"I'm Nathan,"

He pockets his phone and extends a hand for Syd to shake.

"And you are...?"

Nathan is 6'2", athletic in build, with very short brown hair & beard, thick designer glasses that frame large, honest, blue eyes, and speaks with a Chicago accent. He's dressed in well-fitted jeans, black hi-top sneakers, and a dark blue long-sleeved raglan polo shirt, top button undone, and beneath one cuff of which glints the edge of a metal watch. It all looks expensive, and the slightly formal, polite edge to his manner suggests someone educated.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m95t6b4dz21rz63qyo1_500.png

thelastorphan
2017-11-01, 10:40 PM
Glancing over his shoulder at Syd. You're right it is a bit too coincidental for my liking. We still have twenty minutes or so. I suppose we should wait that long at least before figuring out where the rest of them went.

Turning to look at the newcomers. Maxim, a pleasure to meet you both. You don't look like regulars so I assume you, like us are here on business. Not being an item I imagine this isn't a pleasure cruise.

Kittendumpling
2017-11-02, 07:38 PM
"No, no it's not. We're... uh... looking for someone," Nathan answered, looking questioningly at Olga to gauge how much she thought he should say. "How about yourselves?"

purepolarpanzer
2017-11-06, 08:59 AM
"No, no it's not. We're... uh... looking for someone," Nathan answered, looking questioningly at Olga to gauge how much she thought he should say. "How about yourselves?"

Almost in response to Nathan's words, the loud sound of a toilet flushing can be heard from the bathroom, followed by the door opening. A man walks through, adjusting his pants as he does so. He is incredibly stout, seeming near as wide as he is tall, wearing the same cut as everyone else. The only difference is that above his messy grey beard and a few missing teeth from his yellow smile he wears a patch over his left eye. He also wears a nine millimeter pistol on his waste alongside a wicked looking serrated knife. There was no sound of a sink to accompany the flushing toilet. He gives an appraising look to everyone in the room, mutters "Thought there would only be two..." In a deep, rumbling voice, and takes a seat in a corner booth. Raising his voice, he yells "Beers for everyone, Gus. Some friends of my kid just showed up, and I'm treating. Come over here, you little bastards, and give Uncle Tyrant your undivided attention." The bartender pours five beers in rapid succession, sliding them onto a tray and sliding it towards Nathan and Olga to carry.

Kittendumpling
2017-11-06, 08:40 PM
Nathan looks confusedly at the one-eyed man, then to Syd.

"Friend of yours?"

atlastrembles
2017-11-07, 08:56 PM
Sid appraises the newcomers with a practiced eye, taking in Nathan's wide-eyed expression and Olga's cool demeanour. Nathan seemed like a square, but fair credit to him that he had the balls to come into a place like this dressed like he was. His girlfriend seemed a little more at ease so she definitely wears the pants in the relationship. Before he can think of something witty and disarming to say to the academic, their new visitor joins them to the tune of swirling pisswater.

Uh, name's Sid and...yea, no, I don't know this guy. Max, what about you?

Sid finishes his beer and gratefully accepts the new one placed before him, wiping his mouth on the back of his sleeve before raising an eyebrow at his friend.

thelastorphan
2017-11-08, 02:30 PM
Taking in this scene Maxim considers his options carefully. The newcomers could drive away this contact. This opportunity wasn't about to slip through his fingers.

A couple more friends of mine along to provide a bit of safety, not exactly use to this sort of place. Never know what sort of hellbringer might be about. Besides, the more the merrier if its time for drinks.

Hopefully that small lie would smooth this over well and Nathan and Olga would get the hint. This needs to stay calm and hopefully the goods are on site.

Kittendumpling
2017-11-08, 07:01 PM
Warily, with a glance to his companion, Nathan picks up a couple of the drinks, and indicates for Maxim and Syd to lead on. He shoots Olga a hopeful look.

"A sign, perhaps?" he says, quietly, making to follow to the one-eyed man's table.

purepolarpanzer
2017-11-09, 03:29 PM
"Well, you were smart to bring friends along. No telling how long the alarm bell will keep the other boys away." The man calling himself "Tyrant" scoops up his beer and downs it in a single breath, foam running down into his beard. He sets the glass down with an audible thump, wiping the foam away. "So here's the deal. Short and sweet. I've got this here key..." He pulls a small, innocent looking key from one of the pockets on his leather jacket. "It unlocks a self-storage unit out in the boonies. Inside..." He waves a hand and gives a loud burp. "Books, old and new. Real antique ****. Middle ages all the way up to the eighties. Objects of power. Couple of guns. A whole lot of boom pow, magical and otherwise. Fifteen thousand and you get the key. No questions asked, no more conversations, just a good old sale and a goodbye. Let's keep this quick, if you have any questions." He looks towards the door with his single eye, obviously nervous.

atlastrembles
2017-11-09, 08:37 PM
Sid whistles, impressed at the haul. ****ing amazing haul...if true. he says to the biker-dwarf dripping in beer foam.

He raises his own beer in admiration and takes a swig. You take credit? Bitcoin?

thelastorphan
2017-11-12, 11:36 AM
You have a deal If you have any proof to share here. Something small would do.
A picture from your phone, a small sample of something from the storage locker. Do you have anything? I can get the money if you do.

Maxim was getting closer to something big, he could feel it. Something about this guy made him believe what he said. Maybe it was that he was so brazen he just had to be a straight shooter. Maxim would be better off only asking for proof, asking where it all came from would probably not be a smart idea.

Switching to a darker shade of green, I apologize if that was obnoxious for anyone,
I typically have my brightness turned down quite a ways.

Kittendumpling
2017-11-12, 06:50 PM
Nathan tried to conceal his bafflement at the unfolding situation. He definitely didn't feel like he could interject and ask questions. That would likely go badly. He decided it was best if he kept his mouth shut and let these folks complete their transaction. Then would be the time for questions.

purepolarpanzer
2017-11-12, 09:04 PM
"I can take cash. Nothing else. As for proof of the contents, that I can't provide. But I can give you some evidence of the protections around the place. Some warnings to keep your asses from getting cursed off when you try to get in the place. I've only been inside it once, and that was enough for me. Do you have the money in hand or are we going to have to set up a second meeting?" Tyrant seems highly impatient, eye roaming to the door every few minutes, a drop of sweat slowly making it's way down his head and cheek. One hand turns the key back and forth so that they can get a good look at it, the other taps gently against his leg just above the handle of his gun. "Worst case scenario, you can give me half before and half after. You lot look trustworthy." He gives a wide grin, showing off his missing teeth again. His remaining teeth look plenty healthy, so it is easy to assume he lost them violently.

thelastorphan
2017-11-12, 10:27 PM
Maxim puffed up a little and thought about the money he had stashed under the back seat in the Towncar. Should be about half.
Half now should be fine. I can get you the other half after we make it into and out of the storage locker
The idea of curses and magical protections made Maxim think about that night in the museum basement. He shook it off.
Assuming what you say is true and you give us a way around any bells and whistles that might be blocking the way I would expect the other half within a couple days.
Extending a hand. Confidence and eager excitement welling up in his chest.
Deal?
He could barely contain the energy he was feeling. The nervous anticipation. If Tyrant really had what he said it would be an incredible addition to his collection and a leg up for whatever Syd was working on at the moment.
Tell me more about these safeguards.

purepolarpanzer
2017-11-15, 12:45 AM
"Well, there's some mundane security- tripwire hooked to a shotgun in the doorway. There's also a magical curse warding..."
Tyrant stops when he hears the roar of an engine. It grows louder and louder, ripping through the air, until the batwing doors burst open and the young bearded man who Olga spotted outside rides his motorcycle into the room. The bartender ducks behind the bar in a hurry, and Tyrant reaches for the gun on his hip under the table. Jumping off his bike, the young man has fire in his eyes as he points a finger at tyrant.
"Damnit Tyrant. If you're going to turn your back on the MC that's one thing. But setting fire to our livelihood and trying to make it look like an accident? That's treason, brother. We both know what sent you to prison in the seventies. Between that and the goddamn missing key, you might as well have written your goddamn name on the ground when you left the Office burning. Put your goddamn hands on the table and don't move, you traitor piece of ****!" It seems that only then he sees the assembled group of outsiders, seeming confused for a moment before stroking his beard and speaking more quietly. "Oh you son of a bitch. You're selling out. You're denying our holy duty and selling out to these *******s." In that moment of thought, Tyrant raises the gun and points it directly at the other biker, his fingers white knuckled on the key in his other hand.
"DON'T you ****ing move, Tyr! If you take one more ****ing step or whisper one more word, I'll blow your ****ing brains out!" Tyrant is sweating heavily, his lone eye wide open and locked on his "brother". The gun flicks to the left and the right for a moment as he checks what Olga, Sid, Max, and Nathan are doing. And just like that the stakes are raised, the stage is set, and it's about to get real interesting in here.

Ok, all. We're about to head into a tense situation, so it's time for initiative. You have the option of going in order of speed,
or gambling to go first (if you roll below your speed) or last (if you fail). Everyone can post their choice and their speed stat, along with their immediate reaction (a few words, reaching for a weapon, etc.) Let's get it on!

Kittendumpling
2017-11-15, 07:28 AM
I'm fine to go in speed order. I'll wait until the others have voted/rolled before posting IC stuff.

thelastorphan
2017-11-15, 11:20 AM
I am fine with speed order. I have a 60. My first action would be to dash behind the bar or hide under a table. A gun is scary and I need to find something to defend myself with.