PDA

View Full Version : Non-gish exclusive spells/powers that a gish should take

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 01:25 AM
As title: Which spells - or psionic powers, for Slayer gishes - aren't exactly tailor-made for gishes(such as Wraithstrike), but are good enough that you should probably grab them if you have enough resources? I'm guessing the big "Press to Win" button spells and usual caster/manifester cheese, but specifics would help.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-08, 02:54 AM
I guess you are looking for something like AMF + selective spell (metamagic feat)?

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 02:58 AM
I guess you are looking for something like AMF + selective spell (metamagic feat)?

More like Teleport, Celerity, etc. But that works too, I guess.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-08, 04:22 AM
Assuming for most spells that there is no other caster in the party to select/cast the spell.

- Contingency

- Arcane Fusion if you are a sorcerer.

- (greater) Dispel Magic

- See/Invisibility

- Identify

- Silence

just to name a few. I'll maybe add later a few more. atm I am short in time^^

Narylinn
2017-09-08, 05:56 PM
Maybe it's an obvious one, but Chasing Perfection from PHB2 is good if your ability to wear ability-boosting magic items is limited for some reason; it's a 6th-level cleric, druid, and sorcerer/wizard spell that gives the touched creature +4 enhancement bonus to all ability scores for 1 minute per level, with a material component cost of 50gp. If you can get magic items that enhance your relevant ability scores by that much or more, though, it has little utility.

barakaka
2017-09-08, 06:16 PM
This was the spell loadout for a sorcerer of mine(recommendations are in bold, but I'd say most of them are generally useful):

0: read magic, detect magic, light, arcane mark

1: nerveskitter, silent image, ray of enfeeblement, true strike, knock

2: wings of cover, see invisibility, suffer the flesh, wraith strike, ray of stupidity

3: fly, alter fortune, battle magic perception, non-detection

4: lesser globe of invulnerability, ruin delver's fortune, celerity, wings of flurry

5: teleport, draconic polymorph, unfettered heroism, dismissal

6: disintegrate, dispel magic greater, greater blink

7: bite of the werebear, limited wish, mage's magnificent mansion, greater arcane sight

8: polymorph any object

9: shapechange

I count shapechange as a gish spell though lol. I favor defensive spells more than aggressive ones because You Ought'ta Look Out.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-09-08, 09:23 PM
Efficient crowd controls that you can use a Circlet of Rapid Casting with such as Web and Glitterdust.

Shrink Item because you can do so much with it.

Time Hop is a must-have for anyone who can learn it.

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 09:29 PM
Efficient crowd controls that you can use a Circlet of Rapid Casting with such as Web and Glitterdust.

Got it.

Shrink Item because you can do so much with it.

Example?

Time Hop is a must-have for anyone who can learn it.

Ohohoho, I know about this one. Use it on a link of a chain, a door, a Fighter with a low Will save... really anything you need to "disappear" for a short while.

Anxe
2017-09-08, 09:32 PM
Shrink a boulder and carry it around. When you're in a tough spot release the boulder and use it as cover or to block pursuit.

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 09:35 PM
Shrink a boulder and carry it around. When you're in a tough spot release the boulder and use it as cover or to block pursuit.

Interesting; I've seen the "cone hat" trick to counter AMFs too... how long does Shrink Item last, btw?

Nifft
2017-09-08, 10:03 PM
Other than wraithstrike, what are the "gish exclusive spells/powers"?

Is there a list?

how long does Shrink Item last, btw?

You can find that here: http://d20srd.org/

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 10:05 PM
Other than wraithstrike, what are the "gish exclusive spells/powers"?

You know, spells that normal casters can learn, but aren't really useful for pure casters.

You can find that here: http://d20srd.org/

Oh yeah, right.

Nifft
2017-09-08, 10:16 PM
You know, spells that normal casters can learn, but aren't really useful for pure casters. I don't know what you consider those to be.

Can you list them?

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 10:18 PM
I don't know what you consider those to be.

Can you list them?

Buffs that don't really help a caster, but gishes love... well, the spells here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321715-The-Gish-Handbook) that don't help casters much, like Ferocity of Sanguine Rage or Bite of the WereX.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-09-09, 06:06 AM
Shrink Item has the same utility as Time Hop, you can use it on a door or bridge or boat, but in this case you can take it with you and use it again.

Get a big metal dome, shrink it and wear it like a helmet. If you get hit with an antimagic field, the shrink item is suppressed and the dome returns to full size, completely shielding you from the AMF's line of effect so you can dimension door out of range. Alternatively, turn a pool of molten lava into a cloth patch and stick it on the underside of that dome. Walk next to an opponent, use the command word to unshrink the dome trapping you both under it, and Abrupt Jaunt out from under it. Next turn unshrink the pool of lava, filling the dome and guaranteeing the opponent's death.

Eldariel
2017-09-09, 08:47 AM
Shrink Item is totally ridiculous. One of the biggest hops in power with l3 spells. And that level has numerous huge spells. Offense, defense and BFC all in one with nigh' endless implications.

Others:
Summon Monster X - if you have augment summoning, it's an SLA swiss army knife, flanker/aid another galore and melee support all in one. Without Augment the power goes down but the SLA access and melee support/aid another still counts.

Simulacrum/Planar Binding/Animate Dead - Underlings are great particularly if they cost no actions in combat.

Polymorph Any Object - Buff yourself, your familiar, your underlings, make a castle, disintegrate undead and constructs, etc.

Silent Image (or its ilk) - Onesided darkness, blocking out mindless things, illusionary reinforcements or fake summons, the uses are endless.

Streamers [Shining South] - One of the best damage spells in the game. Probably useful to know.

Telekinesis - Extra good on high BAB characters. Violent thrust in particular.

Black Tentacles - One of the best BFC spells in the game. An encounter ender.

Glitterdust/Web/Grease - Way awesome multipurpose for their level.

Heart of X [Complete Mage] - Great defensive and passive bonuses. Crit/SA immunity is extra good on frontliners. As is stoneskin, freedom of movement, etc.

Greater Mirror Image [PHBII] - See above.

flappeercraft
2017-09-09, 05:00 PM
Shadow Guardians from RoD can be pretty good for flanking or delaying creatures