PDA

View Full Version : A question about humans and half outsider kin

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-08, 09:23 AM
So I was thinking, could an aasimar, genasi, or tiefling instead choose human stats? If not, could a Human show signs of having outsider blood (ie small horns with tiefling blood) to stave of being so boring as a regular human? I love human stats but humans are IMMENSELY boring in my opinion and I just wanna be an outsider race which are my favorite flavor wise but i like human stats (ie the feat).

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-08, 09:31 AM
I mean, talk to your DM about it, since that's really the only opinion that really matters on this. But I would say that 1) It's just fluff at that point, and 2) if your character is so watered down in the outsider blood department that they are basically human, then they wouldn't have many features of the outsider influence.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-08, 09:34 AM
I mean, talk to your DM about it, since that's really the only opinion that really matters on this. But I would say that 1) It's just fluff at that point, and 2) if your character is so watered down in the outsider blood department that they are basically human, then they wouldn't have many features of the outsider influence.

But is this possible do you think? i doubt my Dm would care but could human blood water down the outsider blood? I wasn't sure if it was possible

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-08, 09:40 AM
But is this possible do you think? i doubt my Dm would care but could human blood water down the outsider blood? I wasn't sure if it was possible

Well, just think of it this way: my grandparents on my mother's side were both Polish. My mother is therefore 100% of Polish descent. However, my father is 0% Polish. Therefore, I am 50% Polish (Half-Polish, as it were). If I have children with another non-Pole, then my kids would be 25% Polish, and their kids 12.5% Polish, etc. The further away you get from the source, the less the impacts on the kid would be. And while I don't even want to try to get into the genetics of how a genie and a human can have a kid in the first place, but in 5E, the impacts seem to last for a longer time and can hold up to some watering down. But over time, I would say that the impacts would begin to minimize, and if they kept breeding with normal humans, eventually their kids would be basically normal humans.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-08, 09:55 AM
Well, just think of it this way: my grandparents on my mother's side were both Polish. My mother is therefore 100% of Polish descent. However, my father is 0% Polish. Therefore, I am 50% Polish (Half-Polish, as it were). If I have children with another non-Pole, then my kids would be 25% Polish, and their kids 12.5% Polish, etc. The further away you get from the source, the less the impacts on the kid would be. And while I don't even want to try to get into the genetics of how a genie and a human can have a kid in the first place, but in 5E, the impacts seem to last for a longer time and can hold up to some watering down. But over time, I would say that the impacts would begin to minimize, and if they kept breeding with normal humans, eventually their kids would be basically normal humans.

So if like a child was like 1% gensai they could still kinda look weird but have no special powers, but claim to be a gensai right?

Kuulvheysoon
2017-09-08, 10:09 AM
So if like a child was like 1% gensai they could still kinda look weird but have no special powers, but claim to be a gensai right?

Well, there comes a point where you have to ask yourself - is a genasi just anyone with an elemental heritage? Or are they only someone who receives gifts/abilities from the heritage?

You could just call yourself planetouched (which I believe has no specific connotations yet this edition?) as more as a fluff descriptor.

As always, YMMV.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-08, 10:15 AM
Well, there comes a point where you have to ask yourself - is a genasi just anyone with an elemental heritage? Or are they only someone who receives gifts/abilities from the heritage?

You could just call yourself planetouched (which I believe has no specific connotations yet this edition?) as more as a fluff descriptor.

As always, YMMV.

I think this is a good idea. Should i specify what I am descended from or should i not know?

Unoriginal
2017-09-08, 10:21 AM
I think this is a good idea. Should i specify what I am descended from or should i not know?

Depends your PC's personal circumstances, but if you have pieces of crystals growing at different places on your body, your great-grandad was probably not a water spirit.

Naanomi
2017-09-08, 10:23 AM
Do remember that planetouched are not 'half' anything... most planetouched are fairly distant from their outsider parentage, and 'skipping generations' and the like is fairly common

thorr-kan
2017-09-08, 11:32 AM
Do remember that planetouched are not 'half' anything... most planetouched are fairly distant from their outsider parentage, and 'skipping generations' and the like is fairly common
This.

In spite of names like "half-orc" and "half-elf," fantasy genetics does not equal real genetics.

Millstone85
2017-09-08, 11:59 AM
Do remember that planetouched are not 'half' anything... most planetouched are fairly distant from their outsider parentage, and 'skipping generations' and the like is fairly commonWith the current lore, they might not even be literal descendants of outsiders.

Tiefling: Your blood is tainted by an ancestral fiendish pact. Did the pact involve laying with the fiend? Maybe, maybe not.

Genasi: Most genasi do claim a genie as an ancestor, but some bloodlines started with someone getting irradiated with elemental energy.

Aasimar: An angel may have announced your birth, but that doesn't necessarily make them, or their god, your parent in a mortal sense.

MagneticKitty
2017-09-08, 04:20 PM
What about a draconic sorcerer with a tiny bit more dragonborn flavor? they already get scales. They're described as having dragon way far back in their bloodline. Reminds me of that :) oh and once you earn your wings just leave em always visable