PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Without using homebrew, mimic the 3.5 Factotum in 5E

metaridley18
2017-09-08, 10:18 AM
Link for reference: http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/factotum/index.html

It doesn't have to be (and obviously can't be) exact, but I'm looking to mimic as many of the overall features as I can. The following is my attempt, so please give some feedback or alternatives if you can think of them!

I'm doing this at 8th level, which I think is about the earliest it can be done without sacrificing some of the spheres that represent a factotum's skills.

So, the major features of the factotum are to be able to fight, cast spells, heal, and use skills, but not necessarily all of the time. They are able to do this in order to explore and delve dungeons the best that they can.

First things first, Variant Human with Lucky can sort of mimic Cunning Insight. We will also grab Rogue for lots of skills and expertise, and throw that expertise into Perception and Stealth, classic dungeon delver skills. I could also see Thieve's Tools or Investigation. The sneak attack can be fluffed as the damage boost side of Cunning Insight since it's situational, or as Cunning Strike since it's flat out sneak attack. The Arcane Trickster spells give a dash of sorc/wiz magic use for Arcane Dilettante, and we'll want to continue developing Rogue levels to pursue that. Proficiency in Acrobatics helps mimic Brains over Brawn.

I skipped going Bard because Bards are more about pumping others' skills up, which isn't really a feature of the Factotum, but I could entertain an argument to go that route. If there was a way to use Bardic Inspiration on yourself, it would be near-perfect, but I know of no way to do so.

To truly grab Cunning Knowledge, we'll go Cleric 2 for Knowledge of Ages. This also helps us get Opportunistic Piety since with Cleric 2 we'll get 4/2 multiclassed spell slots. We can prep Cure Wounds and Bless to mimic the healing of Peity and more of the Inspiration style skill bonuses. Turning Undead is a Piety feature as well. The prepared spells feature allows you to choose 2 extra spells other than Cure Wounds and Bless each day, helping mimic Arcane Dilettante.

Now we just need Cunning Surge and a dash more encounter-based fighting techniques. So far all our abilities are long rest centered except for Channel Divinity. So we grab Fighter 3. Action Surge mimics Cunning Surge explicitly. The fighting style can be used to further mimic Cunning Insight or Cunning Dodge by adding to attack, damage, or AC with Archery, Dueling, or Defense. This is player's choice. Going into the Battle Master helps build thematic encounter based powers since they recharge on a short rest. I suggest picking from the following:

Evasive Footwork-Cunning Def Style AC bonus
Feinting Attack-Cunning Insight style to-hit bonus
Parry-Cunning Dodge style damage reduction
Precision Attack-Cunning Insight style to-hit bonus
Rally-Opportunistic Piety style healing
Riposte-doesn't mimic a class feature exactly, but Factotum was all about action economy manipulation

Future Development: I see this finishing out to Rogue 12/Cleric 4/Fighter 4. Rogue 11 is extremely important for Reliable Talent, which helps mimic the sheer skill monkey potential of Cunning Knowledge plus the factotum's heavy skill list. Additionally, that gives the spell slots of an 8th level caster which isn't quite as potent as the Factotum was able to become, but it's close. More importantly, this progression gives a whopping 6 ASIs, so you can mimic features even further via thematic feats such as Defensive Duelist, Dungeon Delver, Healer, Inspiring Leader (would need more Cha), Keen Mind, Martial Adept, Skulker, or Skilled. At least 3 ASIs should go into pump Dex/Int/Wis for basic competence. You could go Rogue 11/Cleric 6/Fighter 3 if you cared less about ASIs.

Rogue 3/Cleric 2/Fighter 3
Point buy: 8 15 12 13 14 10
Variant Human, Feat: Lucky, Skill: Survival, Stats: +1 Dex, Int
Background: Charlatan
Level 1 Skills: Acrobatics, Deception, Investigation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth

Rogue Expertise: Perception, Stealth
Archetype: Arcane Trickster
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, GreenFlame Blade
Spells Known: Disguise Self, Silent Image, Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Cleric Domain: Knowledge
Expertise: Arcana, History
Cantrips: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Light

Fighting Style: Pick one of (Defense, Dueling, Archery)
Archetype: Battle Master, Manuevers: pick 3 of (Evasive Footwork, Feinting Attack, Parry, Precision Attack, Rally, Riposte)

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-08, 03:05 PM
I skipped going Bard because Bards are more about pumping others' skills up, which isn't really a feature of the Factotum, but I could entertain an argument to go that route. If there was a way to use Bardic Inspiration on yourself, it would be near-perfect, but I know of no way to do so.
Valor bard. You'd get to use your inspiration directly on your own attacks.

EDIT: On review, I'm not sure why I was so certain you could. It does seem that you can't, and that's very weird to me. Real pity.

metaridley18
2017-09-08, 03:11 PM
Valor bard. You'd get to use your inspiration directly on your own attacks.

??? I don't see anything like that in the Valor Bard ability description.

Also at 3rd level, you learn to inspire others in battle.
A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you
can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon
damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack
roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction
to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number
rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll
but before knowing whether it hits or misses.

Only other creatures can gain Bardic Inspiration from you.

Edit: Ninja'd

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-08, 03:14 PM
??? I don't see anything like that in the Valor Bard ability description.

Only other creatures can gain Bardic Inspiration from you.

Edit: Ninja'd
I'm suddenly realizing I unintentionally buffed two players by letting them use combat inspiration like that. I think I'll keep it as a homebrew rule. Valor bards could use the slight leg up anyway.