PDA

View Full Version : How do you gather information?

Thrasher92
2017-09-08, 11:42 AM
How do you choose to have your players gather information in you games?

I've heard of some people just doing an investigation check to find the basic information they need, with higher rolls gaining them more information.

I like to roleplay all the NPCs and have the characters wander around town and find the corresponding people and then interact with them, this does take some time but it gives me an opportunity to give them some role play experience (They are newer players).

If I get a little frustrated I usually have them "stumble" on the information they need but, I never let them rely on my frustration/good will to get it.

I'm trying to help guide them and make a list of "obvious" ways to get information as a person in a new town. These guys may be somewhat used to the internet and are now figuring out that their characters don't have limitless information at their fingertips.

So, gathering information in a new town. I would think first depends on the size of the town you are in, obviously. A metropolis will have many more resources than a village. But, villages my be more willing to assist or have access to unique information.

Once you are in a town you can investigate to find an elder, a library, or an expert/sage that can assist you with whatever information you need. But, of course, information is often not free. Sometimes my players need to pay a small fee to use the libraries resources or they need to do a small favor for the elder or sage.

Depending on the type of information necessary you may want to rely on more dubious methods to get your information. A rogue or any sneaky member of your party could access the records of a building or area. Of course this would require some stealth and maybe some sleight of hand checks.

Asking the general populace is a very possible way to get information but, it isn't always reliable. The random farmer you talk to can tell you only what he has experienced and what he has heard. Rumors can easily distort the truth and lead to a great deal of misinformation. Asking a random person where something in town is could work, with a charisma check, or they could tell you to piss off.

Do you guys have any cool ideas or methods of how player can gather information?

Citan
2017-09-08, 11:48 AM
Hi!

I'll answer "as a player" for now.
Which is... "Whatever mean I have".

If I'm a Druid, I'll use Speak With Animals to "hire" all the mouses, cats or dogs to look for an object (if it has a defining smell or look) or people. Or maybe I'll Wild Shape myself.

If I'm a Cleric, I may directly use the Detect rituals or go to the nearest temple to try and befriend local priests into giving me as much information as they can.

If I'm a Barbarian, I'll just go from bars to taverns, making myself admired by local grunts through storytelling of my exploits, winning drinking contests or just making sheer demonstration of force.

If I'm a Wizard, I'll go into libraries or town's archives as relevant.

Etc etc...
It really depends on what kind of information you want, some characters are more suited at a particular kind of information, but I'm pretty sure that overall any character will find a way to use his natural abilities to get the information. :)

sky red hunter
2017-09-08, 11:54 AM
Its very easy for players to treat d&d like a computer game and insist on talking to everyone and get every ounce of info going, so i like to make it more fun by having certain npc's 'paired', if they talk to one the other ins't around when they go looking, or if they befriend one it earns the enmity of the other. This makes them more careful about where they seek their information and how, it also puts fun cause and effect parameters into play, its important to remember its not a punishment but more a ripple effect from the characters actions. This ripple effect can make the characters really feel apart of the world and empower them to have real influence on the game world.

Zman
2017-09-08, 12:12 PM
I don't think investigation is really the right way to go about it. I often use a generic Cha check, and if the players are clever they can create an advantage. I usually make them spend hours doing such a thing through.

An example, player is looking for compromising information on the local nobility. If they openly go about it, "I talk to people trying to find the information." That'd be a Cha check at disadvantage.

Now, let's say they are clever, "I spend a few coins buying drinks and loosening lips." I'd let them make that check straight up Cha.

Now, let's say they are supremely clever, "I spend the afternoon at a high end brothel spreading the coin around looking for information." That be a Cha check at Advantage.

Depending on the D.C. result they might get a sliver of information, or get a juicy bit of gossip etc.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-08, 12:26 PM
I like detailing a couple NPC's in an area, and I've got a few more generic personalities that I've practiced that I can ad lib on the fly. I have my players directly roleplay against them for anything they want to know. I require a bit of rolling, but only at the most important points of any conversation.

My players are also aware that I like the idea that people don't always know what they're talking about, or might be liars. Insight's only so useful against personal convictions. More than once my players have walked into dangerous situations or traps thanks to bad information.

JackPhoenix
2017-09-09, 04:57 AM
Gathering information is great opportunity to use backgrounds. Acolyte may visit local temple to get free information, sage may hit the library, criminal knows a guy who knows a guy, one of soldier's war buddies may live here, sailor may meet familiar faces in a harbor pub, aristocracy may be willing to tell noble things they wouldn't share with a dirty peasant, entertainer may have been here before, etc..

Beyond that, it depends on circumstances, where are you, what informations you seek... easiest way to get some info on a new town is to ask the gate guard. They should be willing to give some basic info, warnings and/or threats to stay out of trouble and how, and may share more with the right payment. Another way to get information for free is to listen to people talking in public places... not just taverns, but also markets, around public wells, that sort of thing. Most information you'll get will be useless rumors, who does what with who, who's got new dress, etc., but there may be tidbits of information guards may be unwilling or unable to share. Both of these options are free and character-independant (though people may be unwilling to talk with certain characters, especially if they are goblins, tieflings, half-orcs or similar). Background stuff mentioned above also fits here, but it's campaign specific.

Then there are ways that require some investment. Giving few coins to a beggar may get you some info, but its reliability is dubious. Buying few drinks in a tavern serves similar purpose. And just paying someone to show you around and tell you what's going on is also an option.