PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Bard: gaining extra feats: Music of Making for Embrace Dark Chaos/Shun the Dark Chaos

Lady Alysha
2017-09-08, 12:01 PM
On one hand, the Eberron Campaign Setting introduces new music feats to the bard: Haunting Melody, Music of Growth, Music of Making, Song of the Heart, and Soothe the Beast.

They are feats and you can take them anytime you can take a new feat. But it also allows it to be swapped for a standard bardic music like Inspire Courage, Suggestion, etc. Thus, instead of getting e.g. Inspire Greatness, you could take Haunting Melody.
" A bard can take these feats any time she would normally gain a feat, or can choose one of them as a bonus feat instead of gaining a new form of bardic music at 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, or 18th level".

On the other hand, the combo Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos lets you exchange any feat you have for any other you qualify for.

Question: does this mean that I could replace the bardic music forms I don't like and gain any other feat instead? So for example, if I didn't like Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness, Inspire Heroics and Mass Suggestion, I could swap them for FOUR (!) other feats? This seems to give the Bard a totally different edge, doesn't it?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-08, 01:52 PM
Meh. As far as DCS uses go, it's pretty mild. You're making a meaningful tradeoff; class features for feats. AND you're giving up PrCs like Sublime Chord, Lyric Thaumaturge, Virtuoso, and Heartfire Fanner.