PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help choosing feats for Gestalt Unchained Rogue/Unchained Summoner

puzzler7
2017-09-08, 01:16 PM
I'm writing a character sheet for a halfling Unchained Rogue/Unchained Summoner 5. I'm going for skill monkey and utility, but also decent combat damage with sneak attack and poisons while riding my eidolon. I haven't chosen my rogue talents, spells, or feats, but there's only a few of those, there's a ton of feats. I'm new to Pathfinder, so I'm not familiar with the feats. For those of you that are, can you suggest some feats that would be good for this build? I will take the mounted combat feat, but that leaves two others.

WIP sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1326825

More information on my plans:
My eidolon will be a quadruped, with a reach grab bite. While riding, I plan to have my mount grab an enemy, and I'll sneak attack them, using a rogue talent to impose some other penalty. I can also hide in my eidolon's space, and snipe from there; I have +16 stealth, and an addition +4 when within 30 ft of a human, and with rogue's edge, the sniping penalty is reduced to -10.

Thanks!

Krazzman
2017-09-08, 01:30 PM
I'm writing a character sheet for a halfling Unchained Rogue/Unchained Summoner 5. I'm going for skill monkey and utility, but also decent combat damage with sneak attack and poisons while riding my eidolon. I haven't chosen my rogue talents, spells, or feats, but there's only a few of those, there's a ton of feats. I'm new to Pathfinder, so I'm not familiar with the feats. For those of you that are, can you suggest some feats that would be good for this build? I will take the mounted combat feat, but that leaves two others.

WIP sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1326825

More information on my plans:
My eidolon will be a quadruped, with a reach grab bite. While riding, I plan to have my mount grab an enemy, and I'll sneak attack them, using a rogue talent to impose some other penalty. I can also hide in my eidolon's space, and snipe from there; I have +16 stealth, and an addition +4 when within 30 ft of a human, and with rogue's edge, the sniping penalty is reduced to -10.

Thanks!

No real experience with UnRogues but have you considered a Swashbuckler (Mouser Archetype) Dip?

puzzler7
2017-09-08, 01:41 PM
I hadn't, but I don't see a lot of reason to. I delay my sneak attack and my reduced sniping penalty for the ability to move into a foe's space 4 times a day. I definitely don't want to give up a level of Summoner, I want all the evolution points I can get.

Geddy2112
2017-09-08, 01:50 PM
If you are using any kind of ranged weapon, point blank/precise shot is pretty much required.

Instead of rapier, have you considered dual short swords and going two weapon fighting? Grab weapon focus as a rogue trick and apply it to both weapons. The strength here is that on the charge you get an extra attack and each attack can sneak attack. In subsequent rounds+higher levels, you can throw a lot of attacks and sneak attack dice.

If you and your eidolon both have the pack flanking feat, you both count as flanking so long as you both threaten the same enemy, ensuring your sneak attack is always landing. Outflank is also a really strong contender, boosting your flanking bonus to +4. Use both and your attacks become really ugly. Spring attack might be a good contender for your eidolon too.

Any particular reason you are wearing leaf armor instead of mithral chain?

Psyren
2017-09-08, 02:58 PM
While riding, I plan to have my mount grab an enemy, and I'll sneak attack them, using a rogue talent to impose some other penalty.

You might already know this, but in PF, simply grappling a foe is not enough to open them up to Sneak Attack - they take penalties but do not lose their dex bonus entirely. Your eidolon will need to Pin them in order for sneak attack to work, which will require multiple rolls (and early on, rounds.)

You might have better luck simply flanking with your eidolon instead.

puzzler7
2017-09-08, 04:24 PM
If you are using any kind of ranged weapon, point blank/precise shot is pretty much required.

Instead of rapier, have you considered dual short swords and going two weapon fighting? Grab weapon focus as a rogue trick and apply it to both weapons. The strength here is that on the charge you get an extra attack and each attack can sneak attack. In subsequent rounds+higher levels, you can throw a lot of attacks and sneak attack dice.

If you and your eidolon both have the pack flanking feat, you both count as flanking so long as you both threaten the same enemy, ensuring your sneak attack is always landing. Outflank is also a really strong contender, boosting your flanking bonus to +4. Use both and your attacks become really ugly. Spring attack might be a good contender for your eidolon too.

Any particular reason you are wearing leaf armor instead of mithral chain?

I thought about dual wielding, but as I understand it, I don't get the extra attack if I move more than 5 feet. I was going to take improved critical, and crit with my rapier on 15-20, but I can't do that until level 11. Also, weapon focus doesn't appear to be an UnRogue talent.

I will definitely take pack flanking; that's very useful for me. I'm debating dropping mounted combat in favor of another feat. My eidolon only has two feats at level 5, so combat expertise and pack flanking take up those, but outflank looks really good as soon as we both level up a bit. Spring attack would be amazing, but it has two prereqs.

As for the mithral chain, no, there's no reason aside from me being new to Pathfinder.

You might already know this, but in PF, simply grappling a foe is not enough to open them up to Sneak Attack - they take penalties but do not lose their dex bonus entirely. Your eidolon will need to Pin them in order for sneak attack to work, which will require multiple rolls (and early on, rounds.)

You might have better luck simply flanking with your eidolon instead.

I did not realize this, I will definitely be flanking instead.

Thank you (to both of you)!