PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gestalt Sorcerer Build

tstewt1921
2017-09-08, 02:13 PM
So I'm building a Sorcerer. First a little background about him. More than likely making him an Elf or a Dwarf. He is sworn to service to a Gold Dragon family (being played by another player) and his job is to chronicle what the Gold Dragon does growing up and to guide him and introduce him to humanity basically. The reason for the chronicling would be to determine if he is worthy to be the next leader of the Gold Dragons as that is how their color operates.

So the build. We are level 8 at the moment.

So it would look something like this.

Dragonfire Adept 1 // Sorcerer 1
Dragonfire Adept 2 // Sorcerer 2
Dragonfire Adept 3 // Sorcerer 3
Dragonfire Adept 4 // Sorcerer 4
Dragonfire Adept 5 // Sorcerer 5
Dragonfire Adept 6 // ????
Dragonfire Adept 7 // ????
Dragonfire Adept 8 // ????

The PrC for Sorcerer is where I'm stuck. I want to go Frost Mage but it wouldn't make sense being attached to a Gold Dragon....I could go the one out of Sandstorm or whatever for fire, but I'm not the biggest fan of fire.

So here is where I come to all of you genius people. I need help finishing off this build. Feats and what not have yet to be selected. I would like it to be more flavor than broken but still be competent, so I definitely don't want to lose any caster levels. If you have another idea that fits the other side instead of the Dragonfire Adept, let me know, but, I need it to fit the backstory.

Thanks!!!!

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-08, 03:26 PM
Personally, I'd say that DFA, while nice, isn't doing that much for you. You could almost just rely on a reserve feat to emulate the breath weapon.

How about something a little crazy (but awesome): [charisma dips 4-8*]//sorcerer 6/zhentarim skymage 2.

The requirements of Zhentarim Skymage are atrocious (feats, spells, member of an evil organization). Ask your DM if you can just be a Skymage: drop the bonus scrolls class feature and the organization requirement. If that doesn't work, try this: You're infiltrating the organization, so you have good standing, right?

The reward for getting in: the awesomest flying mount ever. Maximum HD limit: 1 + skymage level + charisma modifier. No other restrictions, except that it must be flying (oh yeah, like you were going to pick anything else).

Let's say you have 20 charisma with the above build. Your HD limit is 8: you can have a wyrmling gold dragon as mount. Three levels later, you can have a very young gold dragon. Keep progressing Skymage with Legacy Champion, and you can eventually have a young adult (requires 22 charisma @ level 20), or even an adult/mature adult (28/34 charisma) gold dragon carrying you into battle. Still with full casting, of course.

Okay, a bit powerful, but if you have a dragon ally already, maybe you can work something out with the DM.

*Paladin 2, monk 1 with Ascetic Mage, marshal 1, cleric 1 (Turn Undead + divine feats), crusder 1/2 (White Raven).

tstewt1921
2017-09-08, 03:45 PM
Personally, I'd say that DFA, while nice, isn't doing that much for you. You could almost just rely on a reserve feat to emulate the breath weapon.

How about something a little crazy (but awesome): [charisma dips 4-8*]//sorcerer 6/zhentarim skymage 2.

*Paladin 2, monk 1 with Ascetic Mage, marshal 1, cleric 1 (Turn Undead + divine feats), crusder 1/2 (White Raven).

The evil portion wouldn't be an issue, it would fit so once he starts flying I'm able to fly with him. However can you explain the first portion of your build that I bolded?

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-08, 05:10 PM
ExLibrisMortis is saying that the one side should have levels in classes that give benefits for having a high charisma.
For example: Paladin of Tyranny is evil and will give Cha to saves; battle dancer gives Cha to AC; Hexblade gives it to saves vs spells, etc.

tstewt1921
2017-09-08, 05:39 PM
Ahh I follow now, so what would be something good to pair with this? I really like the Skymage and my DM is good with it, just not the dragon, as humans riding the dragons doesn't quite fit our backstory. So I'm searching for something else to ride and have a couple ideas, what would be a good thing to pair on the other side, I'm thinking normal warrior to get extra feats and what not...that's about all I can come up with.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-08, 06:37 PM
Ahh I follow now, so what would be something good to pair with this? I really like the Skymage and my DM is good with it, just not the dragon, as humans riding the dragons doesn't quite fit our backstory. So I'm searching for something else to ride and have a couple ideas, what would be a good thing to pair on the other side, I'm thinking normal warrior to get extra feats and what not...that's about all I can come up with.
Well, the charisma dips I mentioned, as Zamiel said, are really effective, because you are a sorcerer, and sorcerers have a high charisma score to fuel their spellcasting.

Paladin 2: Divine Grace, add your charisma modifier to all saves. Never fail a save again.
Monk 1: There is a feat, Ascetic Mage, which allows your monk and sorcerer levels to stack for the purpose of AC bonus, and instead of getting wisdom to AC, you get charisma. For example, a monk 1//sorcerer 6 would get the AC bonus of a 6th- or 7th-level monk (depending on ruling), which is +1, and their charisma modifier on top.
Marshal 1: Add your charisma modifier to one of several things, and for the whole party! For example, you could pick Master of Tactics, which allows all allies within 60' to add your charisma modifier to damage rolls when flanking. Then you equip yourself with Island of Blades (a stance from Tome of Battle), and you and your mount perpetually flank everything you are adjacent to, allowing you to get bonus damage all day long. Marshal makes you good at Diplomacy, too (free Skill Focus + high charisma = win).
Cleric 1: Turn Undead uses/day are based off of charisma. Devotion feats are powered by giving up Turn Undead uses. Maybe Protection Devotion works well with the whole battlefield commander thing?

Now, those classes provide boring but useful bonuses to some important stats. From there, you want to get some interesting stuff. Well, what's a paladin/marshal riding a flying steed? A battlefield commander, perhaps? Slap on some Dragonfire Inspiration Song of the White Raven crusader/warblade and some levels in bard (or prestige bard, or a one-level dip in Heartfire Fanner later on), and go to town, possibly with Words of Creation.

As for things to ride, I'm thinking something with sweet abilities, not some HD-bloated animal. How about a sphynx, lammasu, or shedu? Or a hollyphant (flying elephant)? Leskylor (flying tiger)?

Basically, as gestalt Skymage, you shouldn't be aiming any lower than charging into battle casting spells from atop a three-headed flying tiger while shouting battle cries that make your allies' swords burst out in 10d6 fire damage per hit. Or something.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-09-08, 07:03 PM
You could always get a Huge Griffon.

Nifft
2017-09-08, 08:28 PM
If you're not playing in a high-optimization game, then I think DFA 20 // Sorc + PrC is just fine.

Having DFA on one side saves you from taking [Reserve] feats for at-will party-friendly area damage, and has good synergy with some Sorcerer spells (blinding breath, dispelling breath, stunning breath). Plus, it can handle some of your all-day defensive & utility spells, which leaves you with more options for your Sorcerer spell choices.

The DFA skill list is great, and you'll get 2 more skill points over what a Sorcerer has.

Finally, DFAs get a bonus feat (Dragontouched) which is usually garbage, but for a Sorcerer it means you qualify for Dragonblood Sorcerer ACFs ("Alternate Class Features") which means you can trade your Familiar for a feat.

On the Sorcerer side, here's one way to go which loses zero caster levels:

Sorc 5 / Mindbender 1 (easy to qualify for since DFA has all the requisite skills) / Divine Oracle 10 / Fatespinner 4
- Mindbender gets you access to the Mindsight feat
- Divine Oracle gets you

All 3 of your Sorcerer PrCs support your mandate: divining the true chosen leader of the Gold Dragons.

If you're okay with losing one level, then take a look at Sand Shaper, which can greatly expand your spell list (at the cost of one caster level). Maybe take Sand Shaper 1 on your DFA side instead, but even on the Sorc side it's usually worth the cost. Anywhere from one level to nine levels, or all 10 if you take levels 1 and 10 on the DFA side (to avoid caster level loss).

If you're okay with losing one level, another nice option is Dracolexi, which reduces the level of Power Word spells (giving you more choices of higher-level spells) and some at-will words of draconic power which range from okay to OH MY BAHAMUT. Take all 10 levels.

Cheers!

tstewt1921
2017-09-10, 05:34 PM
As for things to ride, I'm thinking something with sweet abilities, not some HD-bloated animal. How about a sphynx, lammasu, or shedu? Or a hollyphant (flying elephant)? Leskylor (flying tiger)?

Greatest options ever!!!! I think I'm going with the elephant! It's hard to choose. ExLibrisMortis you're my favorite!

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-11, 01:45 PM
Greatest options ever!!!! I think I'm going with the elephant! It's hard to choose. ExLibrisMortis you're my favorite!
Thank you very much, glad to be of service :smallsmile:. Best of luck with your elephant!