PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Quickie gun question

Avianmosquito
2017-09-08, 06:54 PM
Guns are, right now, pretty well balanced in Aelsif. But there is one question worth asking, since it wouldn't make them more or less powerful. Should their criticals be 19-20, x2 (as they are now), or 20, x3? I'm clearly on the side of 19-20, x2, which is why that's how it works right now, but I wanted to hear some arguments for 20, x3.

nikkoli
2017-09-09, 08:24 AM
I would think different type guns would have a different threat range. Scatter guns make sense to use 19-20/x2 but one that fire single bullets, I think you've specified muskets and such before, would make more sense to use 20/x3. I look at it like this because the scatter guns are fireing a whole lot of crap right into a person but it takes a couple pieces hitting to do anything really good, where as larger bore muskets and such only hit one spot, but it's a bigger piece of lead and usually goes faster and does more internal damage.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-09, 09:35 AM
The typical paradigm seems to be "big crit ranges for small precise weapons, big crit multipliers for large destructive weapons." Assuming you're talking early guns, I'd say the x3 seems more fitting.

Avianmosquito
2017-09-09, 10:46 PM
The typical paradigm seems to be "big crit ranges for small precise weapons, big crit multipliers for large destructive weapons." Assuming you're talking early guns, I'd say the x3 seems more fitting.

I don't know, I'd say a greatsword was a large, destructive weapon. More pointedly, the guns here range from smoothbore muzzle-loaders to very early automatics, getting dramatically more rare and expensive as they go up. It helps that the gnomes are the only manufacturers of automatics and smuggling them out is punishable by firing squad.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-09, 10:49 PM
I don't know, I'd say a greatsword was a large, destructive weapon. More pointedly, the guns here range from smoothbore muzzle-loaders to very early automatics, getting dramatically more rare and expensive as they go up. It helps that the gnomes are the only manufacturers of automatics and smuggling them out is punishable by firing squad.
Maybe x3 for smoothbores shooting soft rounds, and 19-20 for rifled guns with minie balls and more advanced such things?

Avianmosquito
2017-09-09, 11:14 PM
Maybe x3 for smoothbores shooting soft rounds, and 19-20 for rifled guns with minie balls and more advanced such things?

I'd draw that line at muzzle loaders vs repeaters, but that souds good. Also, scatterguns are going to be 20, x2 either way.