PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Elemental Wizard tradition

foobar1969
2017-09-08, 08:13 PM
Update: Wizard Tradition of the Elements (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ofjepyo1RI5q0X99qXS3vlQk1qGmJ2hCL_-eNPAyJ0Q/) doc with pretty formatting

This archetype offers unparalleled power in your element, at the cost of reduced facility as a generalist.
Is it balanced? It can be adjusted up or down for tuning in several places.

Tradition of the Elements
Prerequisite: to become an elemental mage, you must be proficient in Primordial, the language of elementals.

Elemental Savant
In addition to the standard list of wizard spells, elemental mages have a special list of elemental spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535561-spell-list-by-element-(needs-a-few-holes-filled)). Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy an elemental spell into your spellbook is halved. Each time you gain a wizard level, you add one elemental spell of your choice and one wizard spell of your choice to your spellbook for free.

Elemental Affinity
Starting at 2nd level when you select this tradition, you choose one of the four classical elements (air, fire, earth, or water) to be your magical specialty. You replace one wizard cantrip known with one from your chosen element, plus either Elemental Attunement (from the Four Elements Monk) or any non-damaging elemental cantrip (such as Shape Water).

When you prepare a spell of your chosen element, you also prepare another without it counting towards the total prepared. However, when you prepare a non-elemental spell, it counts double. For example, an air mage who can prepare 8 spells might take Feather Fall, Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Invisibility, Fly, Lightning Bolt (6 air spells count as 3 prepared), Absorb Elements, Shatter, Water Walk (3 elemental spells prepared), and Shield (1 non-elemental spell counts as 2 prepared).

When you cast a 2nd-level or higher non-elemental spell as a ritual, you must expend a spell slot of at least half the spell's level (round down).

Elemental Resistance
Beginning at 6th level, your body adapts to the energies of your chosen element. You gain resistance to the damage caused by elemental creatures and spells of your chosen element, as well as other non-divine sources of similar damage:
Air: lightning and thunder.
Earth: bludgeoning (including falling), also fire damage from lava.
Fire: fire and radiant.
Water: acid and cold.

Elemental Empowerment
Beginning at 10th level, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of spells you cast from your chosen element.

Also, when you cast a spell from your chosen element using a slot of 2nd level or higher, you can regain an expended spell slot up to half its level.

Elemental Mastery
Starting at 14th level, your enemies have disadvantage on saving throws against spells you cast from your chosen element.

Also, elementals you conjure from your chosen element become neutral instead of hostile if you lose control.

Some possible alternate features:

When you cast an area effect spell from your chosen element, you can grant advantage on saving throws against it to a number of creatures up to your spell attack modifier.

You have advantage on ability checks connected to spells from your chosen element, including concentration or dispel checks.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-09, 01:42 PM
Elemental Resistance
Beginning at 6th level, your body adapts to the energies of your chosen element. You gain resistance to the damage caused by elemental creatures and spells of your chosen element, as well as other non-divine sources of similar damage:
Air: lightning and thunder.
Earth: bludgeoning, and lava.
Fire: fire and radiant.
Water: acid and cold.

Lava?

Besides that i'm a bit confused on how many spells you are giving this subclass. Also do you not get wizard spells any more?

foobar1969
2017-09-09, 01:58 PM
Lava?

Besides that i'm a bit confused on how many spells you are giving this subclass. Also do you not get wizard spells any more?
IMO, earth resistance should cover any damage taken from earth and stone, whether solid or molten.
Elemental mages can acquire other wizard spells via copying into spellbook at the usual cost.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-09, 04:23 PM
IMO, earth resistance should cover any damage taken from earth and stone, whether solid or molten.
Elemental mages can acquire other wizard spells via copying into spellbook at the usual cost.

Okay but there is no such thing as 'lava' damage in 5e (or other iterations of the game). Why just Bludgeoning and Force resistance.

I don't know how i feel about essentially changing the wizard spell list, copying spells is very unreliable and you lose out on spells which is one of the biggest reasons to play a wizard, the mass amount of spells they can cast.

foobar1969
2017-09-12, 10:11 AM
I don't know how i feel about essentially changing the wizard spell list, copying spells is very unreliable
Hmm, this is a good point. I've always played in worlds where 1st level spell scrolls can be found in nearly any decent town, on up to 5th level or higher in big cities, but that's not an official rule. Change made.

you lose out on spells which is one of the biggest reasons to play a wizard, the mass amount of spells they can cast.
True, this archetype plays differently than a standard "school" wizard, hence my question about balance. Is the increased within-element power enough to make up for the losses?

foobar1969
2019-10-05, 10:12 AM
I just overhauled the feature design and converted it to a pretty Google Doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ofjepyo1RI5q0X99qXS3vlQk1qGmJ2hCL_-eNPAyJ0Q/
What do you think?

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-05, 10:32 AM
It is pretty interesting.

Each time you gain a wizard level, you add one elemental spell of your choice and one wizard spell of your choice to your spellbook for free.

This is the thing that convince me less. It seems to me a very high amount of spells known. Why not limiting it only for elemental spells? You could add a list of known spells, like other casters, that can be used to learn elemental spells outside the spellbook...

When you prepare a spell of your chosen element, you also prepare another without it counting towards the total prepared. However, when you prepare a non-elemental spell, it counts double.

I like this mechanic. Maybe double up and halve the spell slots needed is a bit too much, I will suggest reducing and increasing it by 1, or creating a specific table. By the way I like it.